Notices

Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Avar928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a YouTube video where the JiffyLube techs forgot to replace the oil in the customer's truck and let him drive off in it with no oil. He didn't get far and then took it back. They told the owner to watch them put oil in the truck so he knows that they "know how". Sure enough, lawsuit because of engine damage.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 PM
WyattsRide
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 107 Posts

And I thought when someone here was pouring oil into their 928 timing belt view hole and boasted about being a great Mustang mechanic was bad.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 PM
17prospective buyer
Three Wheelin'

No timing chains here...
Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 17prospective buyer
No timing chains here...
Ahhhh - seriously? In an 87 928?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Ducman82

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

when i worked at auto zone as a manager we had a guy send in his hood rat GF to top off the oil.. she did just that.... 2.5 cases of oil later...... HA
Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My parents borrowed my full size GMC Jimmy to got pick up 2000# of cheese from a dairy 100 miles away. I asked them to stop and get the oil changed at one of the Jimmy Lube places on the way out of town because I had put Slick 50 in on the last oil change and it needed changed again before trucking that big of a load. They had the oil change and made the trip.

Between work and going to school I went by to change cars. I was in a hurry to not be late for class. As I was pulling out of the drive my Dad stopped me and told me my truck had started making a funny noise a few blocks from home on the way back. Since in a hurry and it sounded fine I drove on to class. 15 miles later and only 1 block from the school parking lot the engine started clattering like it was low on oil. Parked and checked the oil and the dipstick was dry.

Shocked I was complaining in class how my truck had no oil. A girl in class had just picked up a case of oil at Walmart really cheap and sold it to me in the parking lot. It took the full 9 quarts that included the filter to fill the oil back up.

Called my parents they the both told me they watched the tech put oil in the truck. My guess is they had left the drain plug open while refilling.

Drove the truck another two years without any problems. I credit the Slick 50.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Avar928
Rennlist Member

They didn't bother to check the level after the refill? Is it laziness or just stupidity when it comes to something as simple as an oil change. I don't understand how employees at a place of business that specializes at this can screw it up.

Places I'll never get my car serviced at: JiffyLube, Pepboys and Midas. I'd rather take them to a reputable independent or the dealer (Not so much the latter because of cost, though my Nissan dealer is pretty awesome...Porsche not so much).
Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM
syoo8
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RKD's post prompted me to search "Jiffy Lube Scam" on YouTube. It is pretty scary what they do there. In the first part of the expose (small sample size, of course) FIVE of nine places that the news team visited scammed them. Yikes.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 548 Likes on 411 Posts

Every one of us started out without knowing anything about cars or car maintenance. Many have had the benefit of a mentor, most do not. Many have never done anything stupid, or done something we regretted later, had we only known better at the time.

Time has added the internets, so we can come to the brain trust and ask for advice and guidance. I challenge folks to find an instruction that tells you not to leave paper towels in the intake.

I refinished the cam covers, and in my early project research I came across a thread that had pictures of paper towels in the oil drain ports, good idea so dropped parts don't migrate to the oil sump on their own. Big label on the engine nearby that said something like "5 Towels in Cam Cover". Fast forward: Guess who ended up going in later on their project to recover the last towel? Fortunately, it was still easy to pull the cover off, and verify that there was in fact still a towel to remove from a drain port. I've been working on cars for more than three years, yet I still do stupid stuff sometimes.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Koenig-Specials 928
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

LMAO. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 PM
jwbeck17
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Gary, great finds. While these are hilarious, it pains me at the same time, as I am an e46 owner as well. (Gulp...did I say that out loud here?) Seriously, I love my 330xi, though it is no way as much fun as the 928, and believe it or not, is for the most part really easy to service.

E46fanatics is a great site for this kind of thing. A lot of really knowledgeable people and GREAT DIYs there. But, e46s can be gotten pretty cheap, so a lot of folks buy the brand, heavily modify it to look cool...but forget to service it. Then they post on the site, the experts jump in and hilarity ensues.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 PM
alabbasi
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite possibly the funniest thread in the world.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w116...am-pissed.html
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 PM
17prospective buyer
Three Wheelin'

It pisses me off that modified E36's/BMW's in general are so damn overplayed now. I don't know when E36's became cool to young drivers. You can't do a search in my area for used BMW's without most of them being modded beyond belief. Unfortunately it's really the internet to blame for viral car trends nowadays. Now local or regional car mods go worldwide within just a couple years. "stance" is the best example of this, now every dumbass wanting to be cool has to lower his car to ridiculously impractical ride heights. Looks like ****, rides like ****, must be ****. Pisses me off when you see new clean WRX's with that stupid look, great, you took a competent AWD rally car and turned it into a show car (Y).
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Captain_Slow
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My first thought.... Mr. Bean changing oil.

Second thought was the time I drove a 1975 Unimog 416 home from Seattle to Virginia (yeah...really). There are two oil fillers on some diesel Unimogs, mostly ones with hydraulic systems. All use engine oil for hydraulics and power steering fluid. There's an oil filler on the top of the valve cover, accessed inside the cab by removing the "doghouse" engine cover. I did not know there was a SECOND engine oil filler under the hood on the front of the engine. Thought I was topping the hydraulic circuit. Ooops. Luckily Mogs can hold a LOT of oil (5.7L straight 6, with 3.8 gallon oil capacity) and purge it if over filled via a horizontal crank case vent tube. Big mess down the side of the truck after next driving it.

Mogs have something in common with 928s - torque tubes, which lead to some interesting service procedures. When I had to change the clutch on my first Mog (a 404), the proper method involves removing the floor of the cab, pulling the engine forward about 15 inches after removing radiator and bunch of other stuff, then replace the clutch through the hole in the cab floor. Quite fun actually.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 AM
jwbeck17
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alabbasi
Quite possibly the funniest thread in the world.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w116...am-pissed.html
^ THIS.

Quick Reply: Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!