jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

corvette falls apart but you still should buy it. haha
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
jenk12m
Banned

its all a matter of what you like, what your willing to put up with, and what truly makes you happy on and off the track. every car has issues with stuff breaking.

rad loves fiats but who can afford to buy one actualy track it

not everybody can afford a 4.0 and track it, but thats the car peter really wanted so he got it and hes happy

dez, loves all cars but drives a 10yr old 996 turbo that he loves. however he truly loves to beat guys in corvettes and vipers that can actualy drive their cars properly

so get what you want and be happy
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
all other cars have the engine in the wrong side
The older I get the more I like the air cooled 911s. Just something special about Porsches.
Maybe I'm a fan boy, maybe I opened my eyes. Just point of view. Doesn't mean that I won't have other cars, and that other cars are not good, but Porsches have a special place in my life.
That is true for me except it is the 6GT3 that warms my heart the most. That being said my next NASA TT car will be a Civic SI rong whel drve. Can't argue with the performance and parts costs vs Porsche.

Wanna911 is correct about performance levels and is talking reality not Porshe Fan Boy. It is funny that most on here are comparing used Porsche prices against new Viper/Vette pricing.

I have heard 10 10 driving but don't see it in action otherwise lap times would be lower. Now driving to personal 10 10 is different story and wanna drive it home to enjoy later
Give TrakCar credit Ford Rustang = Fail.

Peter
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Corvette VS R8 that is already too heavy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0
I'd take that plastic coming loose, and plastic rear end over 30-100 more thousand dollars, exploding diffs, departing wheels and faux racing center locks all day.

And certainly over the fat underperforming Audi. No matter how comfy it is.

Imagine a ZR1 or even Z07 for that matter with Aero on it like a 4.0 RS or ACR..... game over.

But that's just me, I'll take what goes REALLY fast and is fun and challenging to drive (GTR no qualify). But at end of the day, I'd rather have a real track dedicated car and a street car rather than a dual purpose car. To each his own. I currently wouldn't trade my 996 TT for anything, love beating people in an underdog.

Just sick of the Corvette bashing around here. Respek!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'd take that plastic coming loose, and plastic rear end over 30-100 more thousand dollars, exploding diffs, departing wheels and faux racing center locks all day.

Imagine a ZR1 or even Z07 for that matter with Aero on it like a 4.0 RS or ACR..... game over.

But that's just me, I'll take what goes REALLY fast and is fun and challenging to drive (GTR no qualify). But at end of the day, I'd rather have a real track dedicated car and a street car rather than a dual purpose car. To each his own. I currently wouldn't trade my 996 TT for anything, love beating people in an underdog.

though I like having a dual purpose car that is more track focused I have a SUV for everyday stuff, and I am not ready for a track only car yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorsports would be boring without a little rivalry, I'll have both in some form. It was fun this year blasting out to the track in the turbo, then hopping in the z06 with the slicks on it, warmed up ready to go. makes a great day!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Subaru BRZ. Everyone buy 2 and mod the heck out of it. When it breaks use the other one. Just offering a dissenting "slow" opinion. Would be kind of fun as spec "DE" class.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 7.0L C6 Z06 came with some issues, but the 6.2L (standard C6, ZR1, GS) fixed many problems. Before bashing Vette engines, talk to the race shops supporting the T1 SCCA class C6, LPE and Henneessy.

The fact that the majority of Vette track drivers are slow, doesn't mean the car is not fast.

The fastest Porsche at the Ring laps in 7:22 (GT2RS), next fastest the 4.0RS (7:27), and the 3.8RS at 7:32. A mundane C6Z06 does it in 7:22 and the ZR1 in 7:19, at the Porsche home turf.

Look at the Laguna Seca lap times when a Pro (and one of my favorites) Randy Pobst drove a C6Z06, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 458, LFA and other cars, the Vette spanked the rest of the field by almost 2 seconds.

I like the C6 Z06 and the C6 GS (almost bought a GS not long ago). I don't like the narrow body C6 too much. The C6GS is one of the best bangs for the buck, and it is a solid car. The interior only needs $700 of steering wheel work, and replacement seats (which most Porsche boys do anyway at stratospheric $6k prices).

Updating the brakes on a C6 GS or Z06 is affordable. If you get the car with CCB, the brake pads and the brake rotors are the same units used in the Ferrari FXX and Enzo, the rear Z06/ZR1 CCB rotors are the front ones in the F430 F1, and the front ones are shared with the California and MP4-12C (my Scuderia units are just 4mm bigger at 398mm vs. 394mm). For these awesome brakes, there are awesome brake pads from Pagid and Endless, designed for CCB.

The C7 brings a new level of fun, while the Porsche-blind-lover attempt to hide the defects on the recent products and show questionable reliability by driving on snow tires, the truth is that GM is advertising track upgrades (extra cooling, lap timer) for you to use the car at a racetrack, while Porsche is playing the void-warranty game with tracked cars that made Subaru and Mitsubishi lose a lot of business.

It is GM sending their engineers to Germany to test and tune the C7, this is an expensive operation. The now retired John Heinricy was a pioneer on this trend, and thanks to him the Vette became a car that improved year after year (while P-car sells the same car for many year with just cosmetic improvements).

Back in 2006, the C6Z06 ran a 7:42.9 lap at the Nurburgring, beating the old record from the 996 GT3 RS. Last year the C6Z06 lapped in 7:22 (on run-flat tires), they gained 21 secs per lap by working and tuning the car with no need to increase horsepower (still at 505Hp), and keeping the prices affordable.

My 04 GT3 was a great car back in 2004, it beat the 360 Challenge Stradale, Viper and the C5Z06 at the racetrack. My 07RS was slow and I got bored of the car being that slow, I could not keep up with the C6Z06 or Viper when good drivers were on them, and I was having a hard time to keep up with Mustangs in straight line (there is a straight in between most turns at most racetracks, even at autocross).

Today, most cars blow the doors of any GT3 in straight line and plenty perform better on the turns.

But some think a GT3 is fun to drive, and I have driven plenty of them, and fun to drive is my Scuderia, makes any GT3 feel disconnected/isolated/boring, and it is beautiful too.

Fun to drive: Scuderia
Best Value: C6GS and this new C7
Best performance: Viper ACR
Total Rip Off, ugly and good for the P-Car-Blind: 4.0RS and GT2 RS

Thanks to the loyalty on the Aero Beetles gang, PCNA will bring a $150k 991 GT3 and a $200k 991 GT3 RS and they all will sell.

Maintenance track costs for a Vette? very low. CCB rotors at $1,200 or steel rotors at $80. Cheap bushings and bearings. Lots of aftermarket quality parts at decent prices.

The C7 will cost 1/2 price of what a GT3 RS 3.8 cost, and the DECup package for a C7 runs no more than $15k, while the P-Car DECup kit costs $30k.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Subaru BRZ. Everyone buy 2 and mod the heck out of it. When it breaks use the other one. Just offering a dissenting "slow" opinion. Would be kind of fun as spec "DE" class.
A winner except I would lease for 24 months, flog the crap out of it and then turn it back in.

Peter
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Too expensive. $30k + track prep gets near $60k to go slow. They were lapping in the 2:40s at Sebring. These little thingies are breaking apart at the racetracks, they overheat everything.

Good for fun street driving, and that's about it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
......Today, most cars blow the doors of any GT3 in straight line and plenty perform better on the turns......
Most? Any? Plenty?

Really??
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
jenk12m
Banned

im sure the 991 versions will beat the 997 times at the ring and so will the C7 vs C6. will be interesting to see the results
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

@NJ-GT

speaks the truth.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
That is true for me except it is the 6GT3 that warms my heart the most. That being said my next NASA TT car will be a Civic SI rong whel drve. Can't argue with the performance and parts costs vs Porsche.

Wanna911 is correct about performance levels and is talking reality not Porshe Fan Boy. It is funny that most on here are comparing used Porsche prices against new Viper/Vette pricing.

I have heard 10 10 driving but don't see it in action otherwise lap times would be lower. Now driving to personal 10 10 is different story and wanna drive it home to enjoy later
Give TrakCar credit Ford Rustang = Fail.

Peter
Front wheel drive? What's wrong with you, I thought you wanted fun? I'd rather you get a new C6 Corvette

Originally Posted by wanna911

We're talking laptime and driving fun VS value. I say if you are willing to give up some laptime for driving fun a stock 3.8RS is the best value if you take in account 3 years of depreciation.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
though I like having a dual purpose car that is more track focused I have a SUV for everyday stuff, and I am not ready for a track only car yet.
Me too. Not ready for a CUP car just yet.

We looked into it.

The 7.0L C6 Z06 came with some issues, but the 6.2L (standard C6, ZR1, GS) fixed many problems. Before bashing Vette engines, talk to the race shops supporting the T1 SCCA class C6, LPE and Henneessy.

The fact that the majority of Vette track drivers are slow, doesn't mean the car is not fast.

The fastest Porsche at the Ring laps in 7:22 (GT2RS), next fastest the 4.0RS (7:27), and the 3.8RS at 7:32. A mundane C6Z06 does it in 7:22 and the ZR1 in 7:19, at the Porsche home turf.

Look at the Laguna Seca lap times when a Pro (and one of my favorites) Randy Pobst drove a C6Z06, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 458, LFA and other cars, the Vette spanked the rest of the field by almost 2 seconds.

I like the C6 Z06 and the C6 GS (almost bought a GS not long ago). I don't like the narrow body C6 too much. The C6GS is one of the best bangs for the buck, and it is a solid car. The interior only needs $700 of steering wheel work, and replacement seats (which most Porsche boys do anyway at stratospheric $6k prices).

Updating the brakes on a C6 GS or Z06 is affordable. If you get the car with CCB, the brake pads and the brake rotors are the same units used in the Ferrari FXX and Enzo, the rear Z06/ZR1 CCB rotors are the front ones in the F430 F1, and the front ones are shared with the California and MP4-12C (my Scuderia units are just 4mm bigger at 398mm vs. 394mm). For these awesome brakes, there are awesome brake pads from Pagid and Endless, designed for CCB.

The C7 brings a new level of fun, while the Porsche-blind-lover attempt to hide the defects on the recent products and show questionable reliability by driving on snow tires, the truth is that GM is advertising track upgrades (extra cooling, lap timer) for you to use the car at a racetrack, while Porsche is playing the void-warranty game with tracked cars that made Subaru and Mitsubishi lose a lot of business.

It is GM sending their engineers to Germany to test and tune the C7, this is an expensive operation. The now retired John Heinricy was a pioneer on this trend, and thanks to him the Vette became a car that improved year after year (while P-car sells the same car for many year with just cosmetic improvements).

Back in 2006, the C6Z06 ran a 7:42.9 lap at the Nurburgring, beating the old record from the 996 GT3 RS. Last year the C6Z06 lapped in 7:22 (on run-flat tires), they gained 21 secs per lap by working and tuning the car with no need to increase horsepower (still at 505Hp), and keeping the prices affordable.

My 04 GT3 was a great car back in 2004, it beat the 360 Challenge Stradale, Viper and the C5Z06 at the racetrack. My 07RS was slow and I got bored of the car being that slow, I could not keep up with the C6Z06 or Viper when good drivers were on them, and I was having a hard time to keep up with Mustangs in straight line (there is a straight in between most turns at most racetracks, even at autocross).

Today, most cars blow the doors of any GT3 in straight line and plenty perform better on the turns.

But some think a GT3 is fun to drive, and I have driven plenty of them, and fun to drive is my Scuderia, makes any GT3 feel disconnected/isolated/boring, and it is beautiful too.

Fun to drive: Scuderia
Best Value: C6GS and this new C7
Best performance: Viper ACR
Total Rip Off, ugly and good for the P-Car-Blind: 4.0RS and GT2 RS

Thanks to the loyalty on the Aero Beetles gang, PCNA will bring a $150k 991 GT3 and a $200k 991 GT3 RS and they all will sell.

Maintenance track costs for a Vette? very low. CCB rotors at $1,200 or steel rotors at $80. Cheap bushings and bearings. Lots of aftermarket quality parts at decent prices.

The C7 will cost 1/2 price of what a GT3 RS 3.8 cost, and the DECup package for a C7 runs no more than $15k, while the P-Car DECup kit costs $30k.
You should order one now if you still remember how to shift a manual gear box.

Too expensive. $30k + track prep gets near $60k to go slow. They were lapping in the 2:40s at Sebring. These little thingies are breaking apart at the racetracks, they overheat everything.

Good for fun street driving, and that's about it.
Too bad.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Most? Any? Plenty?

Really??
Rad logic. I think we can conclude that the Fiat is getting sold ASAP or relegated to Cars & Coffee and the new car will be a one lap record setting wonder, barely street legal monster..

The Corvette has the main ingredients; Light weight and HP..No to me the screwed up a great design with overwrought copycat design and an ugly ***. We will see if they fixed the suspension and brakes. I think they have the engines figured out. The ones with dry sump anyways..
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
@NJ-GT

speaks the truth.
Yeah right, like the cheapest most dependable track car evah is the Scud

I was right on the Fiat. he can still be right on the new Corvette. We shall find out. I might buy one just to break it and sell it with 1000 miles on it. The stereo typical buyer wont even think to ask if it has been tracked...

Quick Reply: New Corvette...