Notices

Gonna get a Chevy Volt, wish me luck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:20 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I bought my wife a Volt about a month and a half ago. So far it has been an absolute joy to own and drive. It does everything as advertised and does it well. It's scary quiet, solid as a German car (and I don't say this lightly.....I've owned many over the years and my daily driver is an S550), and so far has a lifetime fuel economy after 1200 miles of 105 mpg.

Duke Energy installed a 240v charger for free, it charges in 4 hours and goes over 40 miles on electrons alone. Since my wife usually drives less than 40 miles/day, she burns very little gas. On gas, it still gets over 40 mpg. Her lifetime fuel economy has been affected by a few 100 mile trips to see her ailing mom in the past month.

Fit, finish and materials are way above the usual American standards, especially with the optional leather package. The dash, instrument and "infotainment" screens are very cool as well as the touch-sensitive switchgear and controls.

I don't care what the critics, armchair and otherwise, say about this car, it's an amazing piece of engineering, a breakthrough design and something I think GM should be very proud of. We love the car are proud to own ant American car again.....the first one in 30 years for us.....other than the one in the avatar....which makes an interesting picture parked next to the Volt. Yin and yang sort of thing ya know.
Excellent info, thanks. I was hoping for some real world experience. I noticed the quality difference as well, it's way above even the $100K+ ZR1 I sat in and that car had a $7K interior upgrade. I could never figure out how GM and Ford could make some of the ****tiest cars on the road yet the F150 and Silverado are some of the most reliable vehicles ever made.

For once I like the US version better than the EU Opel version looks-wise.

Also looking forward to playing around with the mobile app. The idea of having the car all heated up and ready to go on cold mornings via her iPhone is a big selling point for my wife, who seems to get cold at anything below tropical temperatures. The charge notifications would be good for me if I ever drive it to work as we have charging stations in the parking garage.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thought given for the Ford Fusion Hybrid?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:09 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Any thought given for the Ford Fusion Hybrid?
Yes, but it's basically the same technology as the Prius so it'll have the same drawbacks for our driving patterns, and probably 10mpg worse.

If there's one thing I've learned from all the research and test drives, it's that the way you drive and the local incentives and programs make all the difference.

Of the frugal cars, if all you care about is bottom line dollar, buy a used Honda Civic or similar. If you just need a dedicated short drive commuter or city car, get the Leaf. For longer commutes, Prius/CT200h. For mostly short distance and around town with occasional longer trips and no range anxiety, Volt. If you can only have one all purpose car, the JSW TDI.

The incentives are a big part. I will continue to vote against any social engineering but if it's forced down my throat I'll take advantage. Incentives make the car $10K cheaper, provide a "free" $2K charger installation, and lower the charging rate here from $0.34 down to $0.06 per kwh. Without all that gubmint cheese I'm not sure the numbers would work out.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:35 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart
You're welcome (for the tax credit that is.)
What he said. I dont blame u for getting it due to the pricing and mission, but I can still hate that I have to pay thousands so your wife can drive a new Volt.

Leaf - 90 mile range...... That's a good one.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't see where this was mentioned, but I learned something new at a GM drive here in Sandy.

It is powered kinetically by the electric motors. The engine in the vehicle is simply there as a generator, not a motive or kinetic power creator. Meaning that the batteries will power the electric motors until they run out, and then you will be powering the electric motors with the engine simply as a generator.

What does this do? This allows the engine to work in its peak capacity at all times when it does need to run, and as mentioned, if your trip is short enough, you will get there and back without the motor turning on.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
Yes, but it's basically the same technology as the Prius so it'll have the same drawbacks for our driving patterns, and probably 10mpg worse.

If there's one thing I've learned from all the research and test drives, it's that the way you drive and the local incentives and programs make all the difference.

Of the frugal cars, if all you care about is bottom line dollar, buy a used Honda Civic or similar. If you just need a dedicated short drive commuter or city car, get the Leaf. For longer commutes, Prius/CT200h. For mostly short distance and around town with occasional longer trips and no range anxiety, Volt. If you can only have one all purpose car, the JSW TDI.

The incentives are a big part. I will continue to vote against any social engineering but if it's forced down my throat I'll take advantage. Incentives make the car $10K cheaper, provide a "free" $2K charger installation, and lower the charging rate here from $0.34 down to $0.06 per kwh. Without all that gubmint cheese I'm not sure the numbers would work out.
I bought gas this morning for $3.05/gal. The same pump also had diesel for $3.99. Glad I opted not to buy a JSW TDI when I was in the market.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Originally Posted by docmirror
but I can still hate that I have to pay thousands so your wife can drive a new Volt.
I won't defend subsidies as I've been crystal clear about how I feel about them, but this level of hyperbole is just stupid and way below your usual high standards.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
... but I can still hate that I have to pay thousands so your wife can drive a new Volt.
You as an indivudual are not paying thousands for that - perhaps a few cents for the whole program - if even that much.

We as collective tax payers pay the thousands.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an '11 Jetta Sport Wagon.

28K out the door.
40 MPG (Hwy)

Great torgue--blow that Chevy away
German engineering---very responsive and peppy
Lots of room with or without back seats down
Very comfortable on long trips, which I often take
Great GPS and electronics
No home link---so I have a remote in my car---big deal.

For the difference in price, you can get a lot of diesel, and a heck of a lot more driving fun.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I bought gas this morning for $3.05/gal. The same pump also had diesel for $3.99. Glad I opted not to buy a JSW TDI when I was in the market.
What kind of car?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you! Great car, and if it had a stupid T or an H on it, we'd hear a whole lot more about it. As it is, it is a great car, and I am happy to see an American car company doing that just because.

The American taxpayer has benefitted a WHOLE LOT more over the past 100 years from GM than the other way around, and the imports have benefitted a whole lot more from their governments than any of the Big 3 ever dreamed of. So whatever on all that
Old 11-24-2011, 07:07 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dariof
I have an '11 Jetta Sport Wagon.

28K out the door.
40 MPG (Hwy)

Great torgue--blow that Chevy away
German engineering---very responsive and peppy
Lots of room with or without back seats down
Very comfortable on long trips, which I often take
Great GPS and electronics
No home link---so I have a remote in my car---big deal.

For the difference in price, you can get a lot of diesel, and a heck of a lot more driving fun.
I love the JSW and as I wrote in my OP it was our first choice going in. It's a strong backup choice and we'll get one if anything goes wrong sideways with getting the Volt.

JSW and Volt have the same 0-60 time. Blows away? When did you drive one and what was your experience? I drove both on the same day. Handling is equivalent as well.

$4k price difference will get made up within 3 years, and in the meantime I'll enjoy it more.

Me personally, I love the idea of a USA car, designed and built in the USA, using USA sourced fuel, throwing a big old middle finger to the primitive towel encrusted terrorist funders that hate our guts as we give them our money and bow to their leaders. I realize being patriotic isn't trendy any more but I don't care.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Why is this thread still here?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, Prius has a sport mode too. They spin the tires because the tires are hard, brittle blobs of low rolling resistance eco-****. I can see the appeal of both cars, the Lexus if you're in denial about owning a hybrid and still have some fight left in you, the Prius if you just don't give a **** anymore and go to Walmart in your sweatpants, Crocs and Winger t-shirt.

I try not to generalize by marque too much. My Land Cruiser was like a Rolls Royce compared to a Corolla in build quality, a Nissan GT-R has nothing in common with a Sentra. I'm hoping that with the Volt they accidentally forgot their long tradition of ball gargling.
I lol'd
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

I love the JSW and as I wrote in my OP it was our first choice going in. It's a strong backup choice and we'll get one if anything goes wrong sideways with getting the Volt.

JSW and Volt have the same 0-60 time. Blows away? When did you drive one and what was your experience? I drove both on the same day. Handling is equivalent as well.

$4k price difference will get made up within 3 years, and in the meantime I'll enjoy it more.

Me personally, I love the idea of a USA car, designed and built in the USA, using USA sourced fuel, throwing a big old middle finger to the primitive towel encrusted terrorist funders that hate our guts as we give them our money and bow to their leaders. I realize being patriotic isn't trendy any more but I don't care.

I drove the volt and Prius and all the other economy cars. The VW has so much more BIG torque....it wasn't as benign feeling as the others....it really kicks out. The Volt was a cool car though...you really can't go wrong!!!!!

Yes, I pay $1.00 more per gallon, but I get way more in driving fun, and when I am at speed (70 +) on the highway, and I want to pass, it really moves out from that torque.

Then there's the DSG tranny....talk about fast shifts and responsiveness...

Here's an interesting emissions article comparing VW TDI with the Volt:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...han-vw-diesels

Quick Reply: Gonna get a Chevy Volt, wish me luck.