Notices

BMW: bringing 4-cylinders... begining of end of gas engine???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
As much as I appreciate smaller enigne/Diesel cars in Europe, I just cant agree that government should dictate what kind of cars ppl ought to buy.
Were you around in the late 70s, and 80s? Deja vu all over again.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

But the car is A LOT heavier today mostly due to OTHER safety regulations which I don't think anyone disagrees contributed to less fatality on our roads. ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control, 8-10 Airbags, specific crumble zones (heavier gauge steel), etc...

So, if you want your cake and eat it too at 50mpg, something's gotto give.
I agree. Despite the fact that the cars got much heavier, they handle better, are safer, are quicker, are cleaner and get better gas mileage...... an amazing sum. I do not think the weight will increase so much now and there is very little to clean up in the exhaust, relatively speaking. So, any improvement in driveline designs should really show up in improved performance and lower consumption. The smaller engines also mean lighter cars.

50 mpg should not be so hard to achieve for a sedan in a few years. The new 5,000+ lb. VW Touareg TDI gets 28 mpg on the highway. (0-60 about 7-7.5 seconds.).
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Yes, expensive today but soon affordable as more technology and production methods develop. Even the price of a current 997.2 is actually cheap considering what you get and what it would have cost 30 years ago.
Hmm, did you forget that the car costs $750K? After all fees and taxes, to be $1 Million dollars?

Oh yeah, ofcourse, make a car with FULL carbon fiber body, as light as F1 cars, use Titanium for engine parts, and use a gold plated engine like McLaren F1 car with 1.4Litre, you will have a GREAT performing car with MPG that will cost hmm maybe, $500K?
Learn to read more carefully. Your paranoia concerning the future of performance cars is getting the best of you.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Okay, maybe this is easier to digest for all the Chicken Littles out there.

A performance hybrid with KERS. And it''s affordable at ~60K €.

KERS hybrid "turbo" boost http://jalopnik.com/5837793/jaguar-c...pet-this-*****

4.4 sec and 186 mph top speed. With 34 mpg fuel economy.

The performance auto world will not collapsing but instead will be getting better.

Forcing innovation can be a good thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Okay, maybe this is easier to digest for all the Chicken Littles out there.

A performance hybrid with KERS. And it''s affordable at ~60K €.

KERS hybrid "turbo" boost http://jalopnik.com/5837793/jaguar-c...pet-this-*****

4.4 sec and 186 mph top speed. With 34 mpg fuel economy.

The performance auto world will not collapsing but instead will be getting better.

Forcing innovation can be a good thing.
Like Ethanol I suppose.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Were you around in the late 70s, and 80s? Deja vu all over again.
Not really... but I know the history and I agree, deja vu all over again.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
racer
Drifting

Did anyone else seem to forget when you get down to it.. Driving is a PRIVILEDGE and NOT a RIGHT?

Therefore, if you aren't the one making the rules, you are then subject to the rules. If you don't like what a manufacturer makes, you don't have to buy it. If you don't like the steps your government makes, you have a vote, so use it.

You could, on the otherhand, build your own car (just make sure you meet the regulations for whatever country you live in) and let us know how that goes.

Also don't forget that everyone on HERE is an enthusiast.. As a board there are what, 5,000 "members"? out of how many HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of licensed drivers in the world?

It seems, overall, most 997 posters are very angry lately.. their car is being discontinued, which makes them feel abandoned by their manufacturer and therefore their identity is crumbling.. all because a new 911 (a likely superior car) is coming out.. Now they notice the whole automotive scene is changing!! yikes, super efficient 4cyl turbos! Electric Cars! The sky is falling,the sky is falling!!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KBS911
Like Ethanol I suppose.
No, not like ethanol. Ethanol is not necessarily an example of good innovation. In fact, it's not 'innovation.' Although bio fuel definitely has its place along side performance cars. There's nothing wrong with people driving non-Porsches and wanting only efficiency. Performance car enthusiasts are not the only people on the planet. And performance cars aren't going to die off. In the meantime maybe try to make room for other people who may not think owning a Porsche should be central to their life.

Eliminating lead from gasoline was a good thing for all of us. Unless you don't have kids or don't care about anything or anybody but yourself. Plenty of car enthusiasts were screaming when that happened. And yet cars are more powerful today than ever before.

Anyway, all of this is just an ancient cry from the Luddites and Chicken Littles of the world. It happens every time there is a paradigm shift. Some people can't handle it.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

No, not like ethanol. Ethanol is not necessarily an example of good innovation. In fact, it's not 'innovation.' Although bio fuel definitely has its place along side performance cars. There's nothing wrong with people driving non-Porsches and wanting only efficiency. Performance car enthusiasts are not the only people on the planet. And performance cars aren't going to die off. In the meantime maybe try to make room for other people who may not think owning a Porsche should be central to their life.

Eliminating lead from gasoline was a good thing for all of us. Unless you don't have kids or don't care about anything or anybody but yourself. Plenty of car enthusiasts were screaming when that happened. And yet cars are more powerful today than ever before.

Anyway, all of this is just an ancient cry from the Luddites and Chicken Littles of the world. It happens every time there is a paradigm shift. Some people can't handle it.
Oh please, stop.... Before I read this I thought that my Porsche and I were alone in the world, and we were special and progress was a notion to be damned. Thanks. I can see clearly now.

Quick Reply: BMW: bringing 4-cylinders... begining of end of gas engine???