Notices

BMW: bringing 4-cylinders... begining of end of gas engine???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default BMW: bringing 4-cylinders... begining of end of gas engine???

As much as I appreciate smaller enigne/Diesel cars in Europe, I just cant agree that government should dictate what kind of cars ppl ought to buy.

BMW with 4-cylinders now, Porsche with electric steering, MB paying millions in fines because their average fleet is higher than 30MPG? Come on! It looks like they're dictating the begining of end for internal combustion engine in favor of boring electric cars, that are then POWERED by MORE POLLUTING and less envorinemtnal friendly COAL power plants!!!

Gotto stock up on older Porsche, BMWs, and Adis.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ival-cars.html
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

meh, a turbo 4 banger, while not ideal, is hardly the end of the world.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The BMW 4cyl turbo is more powerful than the the 3.0L straight six they have been selling. From what I have read we may see a 4 cyl flat turbo in Porschs in the future. Boosted 4 cyl engines can be very impressive.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
rebattery
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first two BMWs were 4s (1967 1602-1968 2002) and my first two Porsche were 4s (1963 356s and 1968 912(. Lighten our cars and bring it on!!!

Last edited by rebattery; 09-04-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Politicians throughout the world haven't figured out that even though you can car makers what cars to make, you can't tell consumers what to buy!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Politicians throughout the world haven't figured out that even though you can car makers what cars to make, you can't tell consumers what to buy!
Exactly, that's my problem.

I actually dont mind to have the CHOICE and I probably will pick a 4-cyl Turbo myself, but to DICTATE what your car line-up MUST BE is totally unacceptable.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

These comments are interesting. No government is dictating what car line-ups need to be. The set the goals for emissions, safety and fuel consumption. Back in the 1970s the auto companies fought these new rules ( emissions) and the cars ran poorly. The auto compannies fought seat belts as well. Now after years of focussing on engine and other technologies, cars are much more reliable, the last much, much longer, they are safer in crashes, they handle much better, they conume much less fuel. Did you know the the VW GTI is quiicker than most "muscle cars " from the 1960s and 1970s. Those "muscle cars" are joke when comparing to modern family sedans. Cars in the 1960s often did not get past 50,00 miles before major repairs. Engines today must be warrented to meet emission regulations for 80,000 miles! Much of the challenges presented by the government to the auto companies resulted in vastly improved cars.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
These comments are interesting. No government is dictating what car line-ups need to be. The set the goals for emissions, safety and fuel consumption. Back in the 1970s the auto companies fought these new rules ( emissions) and the cars ran poorly. The auto compannies fought seat belts as well. Now after years of focussing on engine and other technologies, cars are much more reliable, the last much, much longer, they are safer in crashes, they handle much better, they conume much less fuel. Did you know the the VW GTI is quiicker than most "muscle cars " from the 1960s and 1970s. Those "muscle cars" are joke when comparing to modern family sedans. Cars in the 1960s often did not get past 50,00 miles before major repairs. Engines today must be warrented to meet emission regulations for 80,000 miles! Much of the challenges presented by the government to the auto companies resulted in vastly improved cars.
Your points are well taken, but I believe many of the improvements did/and or would have occurred in any event by market driven dynamics.

Legislation through regulation is not a good thing IMHO.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Your points are well taken, but I believe many of the improvements did/and or would have occurred in any event by market driven dynamics.

Legislation through regulation is not a good thing IMHO.
Seat belts, padded dashes, safety glass, impact beams in doors, anti-lock brakes, airbags, child restraint systems, head restraints, and rollover protection; just to name a few safety features mandated by regulation. All of these changes were fought by the auto industry to one degree or another. I wonder how many more people would have been killed or maimed over the additional years it would have taken "market driven dynamics" to finally (if ever) decide they should be standard equipment in vehicles. A reasonable price to pay to keep government out of the affairs of corporations? Hmmm. Food for thought, at least.

IMO, there are undoubtedly bad regulations, but it doesn't follow that all regulation is therefore bad.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

as for me i think these developments are good. pressures the car makers to go toward better fuel efficient automobiles. and knowing that the customers have been accustomed to the powerful variants they have been selling, these carmakers will surely strive to give this power yet with better fuel economy...its just the goverment being the big brother saying now is the time no more waiting.if you wait you get spanked.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Seat belts, padded dashes, safety glass, impact beams in doors, anti-lock brakes, airbags, child restraint systems, head restraints, and rollover protection; just to name a few safety features mandated by regulation. All of these changes were fought by the auto industry to one degree or another. I wonder how many more people would have been killed or maimed over the additional years it would have taken "market driven dynamics" to finally (if ever) decide they should be standard equipment in vehicles. A reasonable price to pay to keep government out of the affairs of corporations? Hmmm. Food for thought, at least.

IMO, there are undoubtedly bad regulations, but it doesn't follow that all regulation is therefore bad.
Exactly. And anyway, most humans haven't evolved yet to know the difference between pure impulse and desire, and what actually might be better for them in the long run.

btw, BMW has made great four cylinder motors in the past. The M10 was one of the most celebrated motors they've made. Give me a light weight 1 series with a 4 banger and some boost, and I'll be happy. Zoooooooom.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Yeah, Saab has made great 4 cyl turbos for a long time, like in the 9000 Aero in the 90's. Ironic, these engines are making a comeback just as Saab is going under...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I applaud BMW for their development of this engine, and especially for offering it in the 5-series, but they continue to push me away on other fronts. First, no 6 MT is available in the 528i. Second, to get a 6 MT in a 535 one can't order the xi. And third, the Clutch Delay Valve has become so intrusive that even the 535i sport with 6MT isn't much fun to drive.
I've been a loyal 5 series owner for 14 years now, and 5 cars, but now that they've lost their sporting advantage I'm seriously looking at other options including the A6 and Lexus GS.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Selo
I applaud BMW for their development of this engine, and especially for offering it in the 5-series, but they continue to push me away on other fronts. First, no 6 MT is available in the 528i. Second, to get a 6 MT in a 535 one can't order the xi. And third, the Clutch Delay Valve has become so intrusive that even the 535i sport with 6MT isn't much fun to drive.
I've been a loyal 5 series owner for 14 years now, and 5 cars, but now that they've lost their sporting advantage I'm seriously looking at other options including the A6 and Lexus GS.
I have a 2008 535 RWD with a 6MT. I could have been a great car but the numerous and ongoing problems with with fuel and induction systems have been horrible. Now they even have runflats only on the new 5 series. I cannot believe this new bloated, overweight 5 series cannot even carry a spare! Audi has a 4cyl turbo in the new A6 and the VW group has a lot more experience with boosted 4 cyl engines and they have done a much better job with this technology. I think my 535 is my first and last BMW.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:11 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rumor is next M3 is tri-turbo 6cyl.

Quick Reply: BMW: bringing 4-cylinders... begining of end of gas engine???