Ridiculous BMW dealer pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD

When the time comes to replace the X, do you think I'll buy a Cayenne from the Porsche dealer or another X5 from the BMW dealer?
My gaydar is sensing BMW.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BMW needs wheel alignment. Called local dealership (car is still on warranty) and was told that alignment is not covered by warranty and it will cost $475. I am speechless...
Old 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riad
Manhattan Motor Cars quoted me $400 for an oil change.
Wow, the PO of my car used that place a lot.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

New filter and plugs are in. Took me just over two hours, but I was working slowly and cleaned all of the plastic covers and bits before reinstalling them.

Very straightforward, and a lot easier to work on than the 993. I removed the pollen filters on either side, and the plastic cowling at the firewall to access the rear allen screw on the engine cover. The coils came out without incident, (sometimes the integral rubber boot can tear), as did the plugs.

I sourced the plugs and the air filter from Autohausaz, total was $100. I purchased a $10 16 point magnetic spark plug from Sears, which was the only 'gotcha'; with the magnetic ring insert, the plug wouldn't seat all the way in the socket which rendered it useless. I tapped out the magnet, and then had to use a piece of rubber hose to push over each plug to retreive and re-insert.

So I saved $180 + $588 - $110 = $658 for two hours of my time...
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman
Wow, the PO of my car used that place a lot.
Even if I had F-U money it would bother me paying those rates.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

new plugs on a bmw: remove intake, remove intake plenum, remove valve cover, remove coils, remove plugs. simple yes, tedious damn right. time: idk anymore, but you need a valve cover gasket now too and theres labor on that

its funny, i worked for bmw for a lil while, the one thing i learned, buy the extended warrenty, especially for M cars, and tires and alignment arent covered under maintenance.

honostly if you want good service on a bmw find a local bmw shop, they're everywhere, usually a bmw tech owns it. thats how i started
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just gave my BMW it's first oil change... did the Porsche too... $120.00 in Mobil One.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

968 GT. oil, oil, air and fuel filters when needed. change the newly leaking Porsche ps pump, transoil, lube, coolant and check ac, when needed (Jerry P. over in Natick). take the car in for general service (my garage) when needed. change out the caster blocks and the odd other bushing (my garage again) when needed. estimated cost; not much.

f_ck owning some boring bmw that looks just like the lastest fugazi Ford Fusion.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-12-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: forgot to insert the word boring and bmw in the same sentence.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 2002 E39. I got it CPO with 36k on it and it just turned over 130k this weekend. I do the oil change at home and earlier this year did a cooling system update when I found a leak. Currently doing suspension work changing shocks and all the rubber bushing control arms. Then it will be time for new tires and another 70k. I have spark plugs, but have never changed them. Proably will do Vanos Seals this winter... I just need to save up since the suspenison refresh is a bit pricey.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I have an 2002 E39. I got it CPO with 36k on it and it just turned over 130k this weekend. I do the oil change at home and earlier this year did a cooling system update when I found a leak. Currently doing suspension work changing shocks and all the rubber bushing control arms. Then it will be time for new tires and another 70k. I have spark plugs, but have never changed them. Proably will do Vanos Seals this winter... I just need to save up since the suspenison refresh is a bit pricey.
What kind? I just got a 540iT
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
What kind? I just got a 540iT
530 sedan auto and sport. Great car. Not big power, but nice handling and comfortable. Perfect daily driver / back up for the wife than can't drive a manual.

I am suprised how cheap these cars have become. My 530 with dead rear shocks (just pulled them yesterday) and probably dead front shocks is a lot better car that most cars new.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
530 sedan auto and sport. Great car. Not big power, but nice handling and comfortable. Perfect daily driver / back up for the wife than can't drive a manual.

I am suprised how cheap these cars have become. My 530 with dead rear shocks (just pulled them yesterday) and probably dead front shocks is a lot better car that most cars new.
That's because they'll make up for it in the service dept.

If you do your own work they are a good value IMHO.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
That's because they'll make up for it in the service dept.

If you do your own work they are a good value IMHO.
I believe that... When I got this car I knew I was going to do my own work so that was part of the plan. I could never afford to pay shop labor rates on these cars.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Years ago my wife and I are going out for dinner in her then 1 year old BMW. We pull up to the restaurant and park. I notice I've done a crappy job parking and go back to straighten it out but it will not restart. We give roadside assistance a call and they have the car towed to the nearest dealership (right across the street) who will take a look at in the morning. I get a call the next day from the dealer who wants to test the battery and needs our approval as if its the battery it's not covered under warranty. I ask how much?? I'm told they charge ~$340 to test the (one year old) battery, but offer to credit the cost of the test toward the cost of a new $380 battery. If it's not the battery they offer to test the rest of the electrical system at additional cost.

I pick up a $50 battery at Pep Boys and install it over my lunch break (in my suit) and it worked flawlessly for the next 12 years until we sold the car. May still be in the car for all I know.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous BMW dealer pricing