Notices

Any of you guys ever driven a Ferrari 360?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you guys ever driven a Ferrari 360?

Just curious on your thoughts relative to your 997.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Jeff: I drove my buddy's F355 Berlinetta... it's not a Modena, of course, but it is a spectacular car. The Ferrari garners attention like a supermodel - it's a gawker's paradise. The engine is simply phenomenal - nothing else sounds like a Ferrari. The gated shifter is a PITA at first, but quite workable after some practice. Brakes are good, but don't have the progressive feel of the 997S. And, of course, the 355 has no traction control of any kind, so it's easy to get it sideways... handling is pretty stable, but the narrow tires can let go pretty quickly.

It was nice, but I wouldn't trade the Porsche for two of them. <No offense, Brian... ;-)>

The 360 is a clean sheet design, and definitely newer tech, and I might think differently after driving one... naw, I don't think so. <g>

-don
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Affirmative. The 360 sounds better! But, that's about it. The 997 is tighter, but the 360 with its center-mount engine sits strong in the corners with little rear slippage. They are wonderful cars, but the 997 is a better car for these reasons: maintenance, access to parts of the engine for simple maintenance, cost of repairs, cost of parts, not near the reliability and it really doesn't qualify as a a daily driver. It is considered more of an exotic that the 997 for these same reasons. It is certainly more spacious in the cabin, though.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want a track car get a cs
jeff
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't driven a F360, but back before I bought my 911 S/C I was looking at buying a used 308 QV, Mondial 3.2l, 328 or a 348. I've always loved the lines on these cars and always wanted one...at least until I drove them. I've had several issues with the driving position. First, there is no room for your left leg due to the wheel wells. The pedals are shifted about 9" to the right. The clutch has no feel and just engages where it is going to engage. The brakes feel unassisted and need a lot of pressure to stop. The shifters come in 2 versions: so stiff the level takes a lot of effort to move or so loose that it wobbles inches in each gate. The steering also has issues, but not because it is unassisted. It is because it is choppy at anything under 30 mph (like an old Fiero). To be honest, the only thing I liked about those cars were the engines. I loved listening to them, I just hated driving them. It was actually the same dealers who let me drive the cars were the ones that got me to drive a 911. I originally had no interest in a 911. Three times I was told that all my issues with the Ferraris did not exist in a 911. The first time I drove a 911, I bought one.

I've heard the newer Ferraris (F355 and F360) are drastically improved, but I have never driven one. I am curious too to read the responses on this thread.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 08-12-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
if you want a track car get a cs
jeff

CS seems like more of a collectors car to me.... If I were to get a track dedicated Ferrari, I would look for a clean-ish 360 challenge car.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Drove a 360 CS and a spider. The 360 F1 box is not as refined as the SMG in the M5 (which I just picked up) but that handling and composure in twisties and curves is outstanding, since the mid-engine setup allows for superb throttle control. The steering was alive and so communicative I thought I was a great driver. In fact it reminded me of my NSX which to me is still the best handling (but obviously not the fastest) car ever. The 360 spider was fun to drive at 40mph and 140mph. The CS is a sports car with racing pretensions so it's not worth comparing but oh what a car. The interior is luxurious and driving position is typicall offset to the right.
My 997S x51 on the other hand is more clinical. It's easy to drive fast, and the chasis inspires confidence but not my soul. It carves through corners with aplomb and dignity and you have to be reminded of the fact the engine is in the rear and at the limit throttle steering is a bit more tricky.
You need to drive fast to appreciate this car but it's not as visceral as the 360, which part of the fun was the spider al fresco drive, but even the steering, chasis and engine don't give you the feeling of driving fast.
In short, the 360 is a sports car with excellent chasis and handling and . The 997S is a clinical sports car that gets you there fast and more comfortably. The 360 interior is less complicated than the 997 but NAV is a nice thing to have I guess. It's also more spacious.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 08-12-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:07 AM
blustem
Instructor

I'm a gt3 RS waiter and posted earlier about C2S x-51 performance. Eggplant, what do you think of your X51 S ? I had an '02 x51 and it was FAST. I replaced it with an '04 gt3 which was faster and now I'm considering C2S/X51 while I wait. I don't know much about the 997's but they look awesome -much better than 996.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Never a 360,--how about this? (Aren't REAL Ferraris supposed to have 12 cylinders?)
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2006, 02:18 AM
blustem
Instructor

For you who are flirting W/ferraris, do you research! I've ALWAYS wanted a 355 berlinetta chipped with tubi's and stripped like a Challenge car. I drove one once,I spoke with Norwood in Dallas several times and got on Ferrari chat. I went to Ferrari club meets here in KC. I've done this over a 5 year period. My conclusion: I will never, ever own a 348 or a 355 EVER! -maybe a 360CS but only a CS (I smoked a 360 coupe in my GT3 -the guy was a ***** and it was funny). I sadly came to this conclusion recently. Ferrari looks great but it ain't no Porsche.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:27 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Yes. The 430 is a much better car on all levels.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

360 looks great but really is a gutless wonder... Not a lot of torque for the money and although it makes a racket for a lot less there are better P-cars, GT3s, GT2s or TTs... They do get attention and in order to get anywhere you have to rev the crap out of them. I enjoyed the novalty of driving a buddy's Challenge Stradale and it was much improved but it's still not my cup of tea.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by blustem
I'm a gt3 RS waiter and posted earlier about C2S x-51 performance. Eggplant, what do you think of your X51 S ? I had an '02 x51 and it was FAST. I replaced it with an '04 gt3 which was faster and now I'm considering C2S/X51 while I wait. I don't know much about the 997's but they look awesome -much better than 996.
If you're asking is the X51 S 997 faster than a 996 GT3 in a straight line, I'd say they are pretty even with the edge to the GT3. The GT3 is designed for track vs the C2s which is a GT sports car, which is more subdued and less of a livewire feel to it. Handling wise, I think the 997 steering is a bit more alive and the chassis is more responsive but I only have driven the GT3 twice and that was 2 years back.
I would suggest you take part in a Porsche Driving event with one of the 997 on a track where you can push the Cs. Then add 26hp to the experience and you get the feel for the X51 Cs. That's how I decided on mine.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Just some clarification:

A 360 is a potential replacement for the 997S. I have a track car, so it would only see street use. I'm buying a pickup as a tow vehicle/bad weather driver. That leaves me with a car that I'll drive to/from work 16 miles roundtrip when the weather is good and for weekend jaunts now and again.

I understand issues about up front cost, maintenance, parking, reliability, etc.

The motor is supposed to be simply amazing, though not a lot of tq. I'm wondering whether I'd miss the stoutness, solidity, fat midrang tq, and feel of the 997S? Does the music it makes, the feel, and the looks outweigh the positive attributes of the S?

If I go for a Ferrari, it will the most popular and sought after red/tan combo, and it'll be a six speed (Don't like manumatics for street use).
Old 08-12-2006, 04:33 PM
frank320
Intermediate

I currently own a 996 C2 with full rollcage, gt3 seats, fabspeed exhaust, minimal insulation, etc... I also own a 360cs. The 996 is my track car and i have been trying to make the 996 driving experience as close to the stradale as possible, but that is a lost cause and i have given up even trying. The ferrari stradale experience, the sound of that engine, is to die for. It is not a racecar, we all know that. If you want a real racecar and get around a track real fast, get a 996/997 gt3 cup car(and i have ridden in a couple), it's a lot cheaper too. But if you are looking for streetable F1 car type of experience, I believe the 360cs is the closest one can get now to an F1 car experience, short of getting myself an enzo or an FXX or a maserati MC12 or michael schumacher's F1 car.

The 996 performs flawlessly on the track, but the cs experience is surreal. I get a hell of a kick out of similarities between the roar the F1 race engines versus the sound my cs makes. That alone is worth the price of entry.

Just my thoughts and experience, enjoy your search.

F

-------------------
99 996 C2
04 360 CS

Quick Reply: Any of you guys ever driven a Ferrari 360?