Notices

It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:05 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 440 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Why would you drive in auto mode in track? That makes no sense to me and no point driving in track then
Huh???

Have you ever been to a tracK?

Avera
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:47 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 953 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Why would you drive in auto mode in track? That makes no sense to me and no point driving in track then
Randy Pobst drives that way in a lot of his videos. I prefer to shift but he lays down some good times in auto mode.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:52 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 537 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Huh???

Have you ever been to a tracK?

Avera
+1

Boss2k — What planet are you living on that you don’t know that Sport+ is often the preferred mode while on track? Have you ever done a track day with instruction?

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-07-2024 at 07:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
Avera (02-07-2024), cavemanmoore (02-20-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 08:04 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 537 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Wow i've had completely the opposite experience. My GT4 in my opinion was the perfect automatic transmission. On track i would just leave it in Auto mode and it would shift better than i would, at that point i would just focus on the driving and braking zones. Hell even at Autocross i'd leave it in Auto and it would perform perfectly. And its just lightning quick to the point where it almost seems to shift before i am even clicking the paddle.

On the other hand my G82 M4 Comp has the ZF8 and it's....just ok. The shifting speed is quick, but didnt feel quite as telepathic as the PDK and even in Manual mode, it seems to delay for a split second. In Auto the car never really knows what gear to be in, i'll be cruising for a bit and the car just wants to hold the lower gear for whatever reason. Approaching a turn and braking the car will actually sometimes downshift too low of a gear or sometimes not enough gears. I find needing to be in Manual mode to avoid all of that.

For me the ZF8 is prob the best alternative to the PDK but the PDK is superior.
Interesting how different people can have different experiences and commentary.

I see that your GT4 is a 718 — that means you’ve got a GT-department tuned PDK: that’s very different than the PDK in the Boxster GTS 4.0 and in other non-GT cars. Kind of an unfair comparison (yours is better!).

I drove my Boxster GTS 4.0 HARD on the Blue Ridge Parkway and various other great mountain roads in Western NC. The next day, I took the Z4 on the same roads. The PDK in Sport+ exhibited frequent failure to downshift before the apex of turns and it was so slow to react to very hard braking that I needed to take over and shift manually. The 8-speed ZF in Sport+ mode, on the other hand, downshifted almost immediately after it noticed very hard braking and gearing would allow. It was always in the proper gear.

I should say I also have found that my 2017 Mercedes-AMG SL63 with 7-speed MCT is also superior to PDK in Sport+ Mode. Let’s not even talk about Ferrari — its dual clutch is infinitely better than PDK. The S-Tronic in my 2023 R8 is also superior. PDK in the non-GT cars just doesn’t do it for me. But I’m glad you are happy with yours.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-07-2024 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:31 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry you couldn't get a replacement GTS, enjoy your new ride! My daily is a 2019 BMW X3 M40i. Different platform for sure, but the same engine and transmission, so let me give a couple of observations. You're getting a manual, but I think the 8 speed ZF transmission is about as good as the PDK in my GT4. BMW must think so too as they decided to use it in their M cars as well instead of a dual clutch transmission (although I'm sure cost considerations entered that decision too). And BMW's 2019 vintage i-drive, cabin electronics and swithgear are way ahead of Porsche in my 2022 GT4, but I like Porshe's tachometer and speedometer better.

Last edited by PaulE; 02-07-2024 at 08:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PaulE:
348SStb (02-07-2024), SmallCapTrader (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 08:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I am going to drive the new Z4 with a manual when it comes out since I have had my Spyder for 2 1/2 years now, which is longer than I keep most of my cars (says something about how much I like the Spyder), but I like to try different ones, and with a manual it will be a rare breed.
Larry Cable (02-20-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 10:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Interesting how different people can have different experiences and commentary.

I see that your GT4 is a 718 — that means you’ve got a GT-department tuned PDK: that’s very different than the PDK in the Boxster GTS 4.0 and in other non-GT cars. Kind of an unfair comparison (yours is better!).

I drove my Boxster GTS 4.0 HARD on the Blue Ridge Parkway and various other great mountain roads in Western NC. The next day, I took the Z4 on the same roads. The PDK in Sport+ exhibited frequent failure to downshift before the apex of turns and it was so slow to react to very hard braking that I needed to take over and shift manually. The 8-speed ZF in Sport+ mode, on the other hand, downshifted almost immediately after it noticed very hard braking and gearing would allow. It was always in the proper gear.

I should say I also have found that my 2017 Mercedes-AMG SL63 with 7-speed MCT is also superior to PDK in Sport+ Mode. Let’s not even talk about Ferrari — its dual clutch is infinitely better than PDK. The S-Tronic in my 2023 R8 is also superior. PDK in the non-GT cars just doesn’t do it for me. But I’m glad you are happy with yours.
I agree that regular Porsche PDK isn't that great. The PDK-S in the GT cars is very good, not quite as good as Ferrari, but close. However, my understanding is that PDK-S is far more reliable than the Ferrari DCT long term if you actually drive and or track your cars.

But regular Porsche PDK is so annoying to me that I have no interest in an ICE Porsche with regular PDK.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:34 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
+1

Boss2k — What planet are you living on that you don’t know that Sport+ is often the preferred mode while on track? Have you ever done a track day with instruction?
Yes i drive a manual and not a stupid auto
Old 02-08-2024, 01:21 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,407 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I agree that regular Porsche PDK isn't that great. The PDK-S in the GT cars is very good, not quite as good as Ferrari, but close. However, my understanding is that PDK-S is far more reliable than the Ferrari DCT long term if you actually drive and or track your cars.

But regular Porsche PDK is so annoying to me that I have no interest in an ICE Porsche with regular PDK.
Thats actually a bit disappointing. I no longer have my GT4 as it ended up being a lemon and am currently waiting in line for a GTS allocation. I knew the GTS PDK was tuned differently but i didnt think the difference would be that massive. Oh well, manual mode it is when i do get the car.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:24 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Thats actually a bit disappointing. I no longer have my GT4 as it ended up being a lemon and am currently waiting in line for a GTS allocation. I knew the GTS PDK was tuned differently but i didnt think the difference would be that massive. Oh well, manual mode it is when i do get the car.
I had a 718 GTS and the PDK was perfectly fine . . . I never drove the 718 GTS and my GT4 back-to-back, but I do not recall ever thinking the PDK from one to the other was different.

Avera
The following 3 users liked this post by Avera:
BlueBarchetta (02-09-2024), doug_999 (02-09-2024), mikedee (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 11:12 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 830 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Avera
I had a 718 GTS and the PDK was perfectly fine . . . I never drove the 718 GTS and my GT4 back-to-back, but I do not recall ever thinking the PDK from one to the other was different.

Avera
Avera,

You might recall Matt Moreman (Obsessed Garage).
Anyway he purchased a new GTS with the PDK for that home he has in the mountains.
(Because he said other people renting the Home would be driving it.)
He commented that the PDK was different in programming than the GT Porsche.
Seems he mentioned that where you can pull BOTH Shift-Paddles on a GT you Cannot do that with his GTS.
I think he also said the GTS doesn't shift as Fast or Hard as the GT Porsche with PDK.

All the above I'm doing from memory of one of his YouTube videos he did on him driving his new GTS W/PDK.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-08-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:00 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Avera,

Anyway he purchased a new GTS with the PDK for that home he has in the mountains.
Seems he mentioned that where you can pull BOTH Shift-Paddles on a GT you Cannot do that with his GTS.
I think he also said the GTS doesn't shift as Fast or Hard as the GT Porsche with PDK.

All the above I'm doing from memory of one of his YouTube videos he did on him driving his new GTS W/PDK.

Terry
It is not that I have no value for online content/opinion, but I am speaking from my own personal experience which is the most valuable feedback for ME when available

I am not discounting there is a PDK difference from GT and non-GT 718 models, rather, in my experience the difference was not significant nor even appreciated. Again, I did not drive the GTS and GT4 back-to-back, but I did have a lot of seat time in both during my ownership experiences

As far as the paddle shifting options goes, I nearly always used PDK manual mode in my GTS and GT4, but NEVER used the paddles to shift. I do not enjoy paddle shifting, rather, exclusively use the shifter.

Avera
doug_999 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:06 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 456 Likes on 272 Posts

3636 pounds versus 3125 pounds?

Really?
The following 3 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
doug_999 (02-09-2024), JAhmed (02-08-2024), Larry Cable (02-20-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,407 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Avera,

Terry
It does sound like he maybe misworded that statement though. In one of my other threads, other people have confirmed that you click both paddles in the GTS to switch it to Neutral, and then you click the + paddle to bring it back into gear. So on the GTS its a toggle, while the GT4/Spyder its a hold. Maybe thats what he meant. I did watch the same video and he was driving it in Manual mode the entire time so couldnt see how the PDK acted in auto. While i have no doubt that the PDK in the GTS is near identical to the GT4 in manual mode, i wonder if its in Auto mode is where the difference lies. I actually personally really liked driving my GT4 in auto, its the first auto transmission thats made me enjoy it as much as i have and one of the things i loved about it was how smart it seemed to be even in normal road driving. If it was just cruising it wouldnt hold the gear long, if it noticed i was just 1/3 throttle it would shift early to save gas. But if i got on it, it would snap into the right gear immediately and shift as aggressively as i was driving. Its one of my favorite transmissions and i almost like it better than manual.

I'll be a bit sad if the GTS isnt quite as smart. But it is what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
samyzayn (07-17-2024), tigerhonaker (02-09-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 04:49 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Deleted, duplicate post

Last edited by Amochosto; 02-10-2024 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)