Notices

It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:59 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Why not just pick up another BGTS on the secondary market?
Because brand new car is always better and the insane price dealers are asking for used GTS is ridiculous, why the hell will i pay more than new car sticker price on an used car which you dont even know how it was cared of or driven by the previous owner.
The following users liked this post:
SmallCapTrader (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:21 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

Even a used 4 liter Boxster is more than a new Z4 by at least 20k. My 2022 Boxster 25 with 8.6k miles was 108 original MSRP and I paid 100k. I got two new rear tires and an extra year of CPO. I really wanted to own one of the last NA manual Boxsters (having owned a 981 S before) so I am happy with mine. Just some minor wear in the leather inside.
For new ones, dealers were asking 10-15k markup on a 115k build.

Last edited by subwoofer; 02-07-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:26 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 834 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
Welp...it's official. I put in an order for the new manual Z4 M40i.

After my BGTS4.0 was totaled in a rear-end, I tried to get another allocation for a BGTS4.0 with no luck. Porsche's artificial scarcity is ridiculous. Maybe it's the stealership's fault, maybe it's the fault of the "brokers". I don't know, but it's lame. I need a 6 cyl manual roadster to enjoy, not a place on some lists for the chance to maybe get an allocation in a year or two or three. Peace out, guys. I hope you get your dream cars.
SmallCapTrader,

Good-Luck with your New ride and Enjoy.

I will say I can relate to what you say on getting a new Porsche.
I've been into performance cars since the Mid 60s.
When I decided to order a new Porsche 2021 Cayman 718 GT4 it was the most difficult, involved process of all the vehicles I have had over the years.
And dealing with a Porsche Dealership is NOT IMHO all that easy !!!

Unless, you are willing to pay the additional Added-on-Addendum over Full MSRP !!!

Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-07-2024 at 12:31 PM.
SmallCapTrader (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:48 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
The process to get my Spyder was very stressful. I had a lot of anxiety throughout... It's a car that I knew I'd keep for ever, and it was the ONLY sports car I was prepared to replace my very well sorted S2000 with, so I pushed through...
Enjoy the BMW...! I'm sure it will be a fun sports car!
I had the same exact thought as my GT4. It was replacing my S2000 which i loved and so i dealt with it....and then the GT4 was a lemon...
Old 02-07-2024, 01:15 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

Probably BMW's only attempt at a sports car these days. Plus it's nice to have a modern interior.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:20 PM
boss2k
Pro

I dont see in the bmw website the Z4 M40i comes with a manual transmission?
Larry Cable (02-20-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:24 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
I dont see in the bmw website the Z4 M40i comes with a manual transmission?
It's MY2025 so not on the configurator yet, will be soon I expect as available from March.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2078908
boss2k (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:30 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
The Z4 M40i is really fast. And the 8-speed ZF is way, way better than PDK.
AFAIK, PDK is made by ZF.

Only advantage I see of a Z4 over a GTS4.0 would be the price (indeed a very important point)... without that, GTS4.0 forever, likely even on a secondary.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,538 Likes on 2,265 Posts

Any competition for these 4.0L Porsche's is a good thing.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:36 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I am talking automatic for automatic. The Z4 M40i is really fast. And the 8-speed ZF is way, way better than PDK. I'm tired of the PDK fluffery all over the automotive press. It's just not so terrific. PDK never knows what gear to be in during aggressive driving. And it's slow and clunky. BMW's 8-Speed ZF? Perfection. Instantaneous and smooth shifting. Put it in Sport+ and it'll do everything correctly. The PDK in Sport+ can't be trusted and ultimately manual mode is necessary.
Wow i've had completely the opposite experience. My GT4 in my opinion was the perfect automatic transmission. On track i would just leave it in Auto mode and it would shift better than i would, at that point i would just focus on the driving and braking zones. Hell even at Autocross i'd leave it in Auto and it would perform perfectly. And its just lightning quick to the point where it almost seems to shift before i am even clicking the paddle.

On the other hand my G82 M4 Comp has the ZF8 and it's....just ok. The shifting speed is quick, but didnt feel quite as telepathic as the PDK and even in Manual mode, it seems to delay for a split second. In Auto the car never really knows what gear to be in, i'll be cruising for a bit and the car just wants to hold the lower gear for whatever reason. Approaching a turn and braking the car will actually sometimes downshift too low of a gear or sometimes not enough gears. I find needing to be in Manual mode to avoid all of that.

For me the ZF8 is prob the best alternative to the PDK but the PDK is superior.
The following 3 users liked this post by Xxyion:
cavemanmoore (02-20-2024), doug_999 (02-09-2024), tigerhonaker (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:58 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
PDK in GT4 is great in BOTH manual and automatic modes.

PDK in latest Macan GTS is very appropriate in automatic mode, but slow/sluggish as h*ll in manual mode . . . fortunately, I have no value for manual mode in an SUV, especially since Porsche eliminated the option to use the shifter to shift.

ZF8 in G80C is fantastic in automatic mode and good in manual mode; not quite as good as DCT in manual mode . . . BMW tuned the ZF8 automatic mode shift points almost perfectly for the various driving modes, and I grew to prefer automatic mode over manual mode.

I have no doubt ZF8 in the Z4 is excellent, although it sounds like it comes in a manual transmission and what OP is after.

Avera
Old 02-07-2024, 01:59 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Wow i've had completely the opposite experience. My GT4 in my opinion was the perfect automatic transmission. On track i would just leave it in Auto mode and it would shift better than i would, at that point i would just focus on the driving and braking zones. Hell even at Autocross i'd leave it in Auto and it would perform perfectly. And its just lightning quick to the point where it almost seems to shift before i am even clicking the paddle.

On the other hand my G82 M4 Comp has the ZF8 and it's....just ok. The shifting speed is quick, but didnt feel quite as telepathic as the PDK and even in Manual mode, it seems to delay for a split second. In Auto the car never really knows what gear to be in, i'll be cruising for a bit and the car just wants to hold the lower gear for whatever reason. Approaching a turn and braking the car will actually sometimes downshift too low of a gear or sometimes not enough gears. I find needing to be in Manual mode to avoid all of that.

I would agree. And on the track in my 991.1 GT3 you could easily modulate the transmission with the pedal and hold a gear or make it shift you needed when it was in PDK Sport. It's a great transmission. I can't see how a standard auto would be faster or better, but this could just be one persons opinion vs. another.
doug_999 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 02:08 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

my experiences are the same as yours. Acknowledging that there are many variants of the zf8, the one in my M550i was excellent. However, not as direct, quick, or intuitive as the PDK
Old 02-07-2024, 03:39 PM
boss2k
Pro

Why would you drive in auto mode in track? That makes no sense to me and no point driving in track then
Old 02-07-2024, 03:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by boss2k
Why would you drive in auto mode in track? That makes no sense to me and no point driving in track then
Because at the time it allowed me to focus on learning the track rather than worrying about my shift points. I originally started in manual mode but realized i was worrying about what gear i was in too much. Switched it to auto and i gained quite a bit of time as the car was doing it perfectly and i could focus on driving. I'm not an experienced driver by any means and my learning style is the type where i like to focus on parts at a time before combining everything.
The following 6 users liked this post by Xxyion:
Avera (02-07-2024), cavemanmoore (02-20-2024), PawpaBare (02-07-2024), SmallCapTrader (02-07-2024), tigerhonaker (02-08-2024), TRSCobra (02-08-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)