Notices

It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:05 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
fair enough on the improved manual, but I know what the power delivery on B58 turbocharged bmws is and they can't beat a naturally aspirated flat six for me, you seem to be fine with turbos so all the power to you (pun intended!)

and btw the 30K price difference between a GTS 4.0 and the Z4 doesn't mean the Z4 is actually the cheaper car to own, that depends on depreciation, I would guess a naturally aspirated manual flat six porsche roadster will beat a turbo charged manual bmw roadster in the depreciation race, but that remains to be seen...

having said all that, I have to admit if they made a manual Z4 COUPE I'd be tempted to trade in my GTS 4.0, my e86 remains one of my all time faves, I had an intangible attachment to that car more than any other
There is a Z4 coupe. It is called Supra.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 02:27 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
There is a Z4 coupe. It is called Supra.
No its a Toyota although sharing same chasis and engine , dont like the looks too and interior is lot different
Old 02-22-2024, 07:10 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boss2k
No its a Toyota although sharing same chasis and engine , dont like the looks too and interior is lot different
Supra is much better looking than the Z4. It looks odd in photos but in person, it has presence to my eyes. The Z4 looks misshapen and has strange creases and the overall styling is just discordant.
My personalized plate for my old Z4 was Qsimodo because of the rounded ducktail rear. Really ugly cars, the older Z4s. The new one is not such an affront to my eyes. Modern BMWs exemplify bad taste and they seem to be in competition with the other automaker Lexus that seems to relish its abominable styling.

Last edited by subwoofer; 02-23-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Mthrice (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:31 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Supra is much better looking than the Z4. It looks odd in photos but in person, it has presence to my eyes. The Z4 looks misshapen and has strange creases and the overall styling is just discordant.
My personalized plate for my old Z4 was Qsimodo because of the rounded ducktail rear. Really ugly cars, the older Z4s. The new one is not such an affront to my eyes. Modern BMWs exemplify bad taste and they seem to be in competition with the other automaker Lexus that seems to relish its abominable styling.
You are so wrong as always check out the new Z4 online configurator and tell me its an ugly car
Old 02-29-2024, 06:43 PM
SmallCapTrader
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts

It doesn't really matter which car looks better. Not a single Porsche dealership in all of Florida could be bothered to call me back. Imagine that you are in business selling 6-digit cars and you can't/won't sell a car to a motivated customer. Actually mind-boggling. Heads should roll at Porsche C-suite. Full stop.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:45 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boss2k
You are so wrong as always check out the new Z4 online configurator and tell me its an ugly car
I made the shameful mistake of ordering a 2023 M440i convertible and owned the wretched thing for nine months. At first, I found its sheer hideousness somewhat charming and I transferred my old license plate Qsimodo to the car. After a few months and intensive psychotherapy, I was made to realize ( by a very brusque-mannered analyst who always smelled like menthol cigarettes ) that I was inflicting torture to my sense of aesthetics. I quickly sold it and regained my sanity. If I bought the new Z4, my personalized plate for it would be some contraction of Pinocchio. I would once again relapse into a self-inflicted tortured nightmare from which there might not be an escape. Second time around and all that.

Last edited by subwoofer; 02-29-2024 at 06:47 PM.
SmallCapTrader (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:50 PM
SmallCapTrader
Instructor

I made the shameful mistake of ordering a 2023 M440i convertible and owned the wretched thing for nine months. At first, I found its sheer hideousness somewhat charming and I transferred my old license plate Qsimodo to the car. After a few months and intensive psychotherapy, I was made to realize ( by a very brusque-mannered analyst who always smelled like menthol cigarettes ) that I was inflicting torture to my sense of aesthetics. I quickly sold it and regained my sanity. If I bought the new Z4, my personalized plate for it would be some contraction of Pinocchio. I would once again relapse into a self-inflicted tortured nightmare from which there might not be an escape. Second time around and all that.
That was funny, I'll give you that
Old 02-29-2024, 06:53 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
That was funny, I'll give you that
I sent you a PM about a white 2024 BGTS manual with graphite blue interior which was listed for sale at Porsche of West Palm. It couldn’t have been a customer car. It was gone in a few days. If you check the inventory of the local dealers, you may get lucky. Champion Porsche was willing to order me a car at MSRP but I found my 25 in NH. They get lots of allocations.

Last edited by subwoofer; 02-29-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:12 PM
SmallCapTrader
Instructor

I sent you a PM about a white 2024 BGTS manual with graphite blue interior which was listed for sale at Porsche of West Palm. It couldn’t have been a customer car. It was gone in a few days. If you check the inventory of the local dealers, you may get lucky. Champion Porsche was willing to order me a car at MSRP but I found my 25 in NH. They get lots of allocations.
It's too late. My hideous nightmare will be cobbled together soon, and I'll be turbo-lagging around back roads in eco mode at night in hopes that I won't be heard or seen behind that fat, wretched steering wheel.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:28 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

It's too late. My hideous nightmare will be cobbled together soon, and I'll be turbo-lagging around back roads in eco mode at night in hopes that I won't be heard or seen behind that fat, wretched steering wheel.
You have my commiserations. I heard that modern anti- depressants can do wonders for someone in the doldrums. Alternatively, you could attend an ayahuasca ceremony in the desert and may yet emerge a new person. An enlightened one with great insight, appreciation for the mysterious and with utmost clarity about the logic behind the stylistic elements of modern BMWs that so many plebeians like me find offensive. I’m not holding my breath but I am drinking scotch.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:45 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Porsche of Melbourne has a new BGTS in SB but it is PDK. https://www.porschemelbourne.com/new...1d3f6c2cc2.htm
I see that Porsche of West Palm and Champion both have (one each) used GTS Boxsters for sale. Both are PDKs. Don't know if you are looking for a manual. Jokes aside, if you really want a BGTS, call Champion. They are lousy about answering emails. Talk to John Schaefer. You can always cancel the BMW. Unfortunately, I can guarantee that you will tire of the BMW in no time. If you owned a Boxster GTS, there is no way forward except a replacement. Sorry, I know it is not helpful but it may yet save you money in the long run which may be as short as six months.

Last edited by subwoofer; 02-29-2024 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:24 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

BMW’s are all ugly these days. They have a Frankenstein feel. As if somebody different designed each part of the car and then they just put it all together.
SmallCapTrader (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: It's official. I'm not one of you anymore. (BMW Z4 Discussion)