Notices

I test drove the Lotus Emira

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I test drove the Lotus Emira

I am a happy 718 Cayman GTS4.0 owner. Last year, I put a deposit down on the new Lotus Emira. I have always admired Lotus for what they represent, and their cars were always quirky and fun. I got to ride in a couple Elise's back in the day and generally liked them. However, at 6' 3", I never fit well enough.

Enter the Emira last year and I put down the deposit. I am currently middle-of-the-list on my local dealer, would maybe get the car by "fall 2023". This week, they offered test drives to everyone with deposits.

My general thoughts:
- I had anticipated it would drive somewhat more stiff and analog to my 718 GTS4.0, with similar power.
- I like the styling of the Emira, and up close it does not disappoint.
- Interior is plenty roomy, similar to the 718.
- Visibility is similar to 718, perhaps slightly reduced rear visibility in comparison with the engine clearly in view.
- The clutch was noticeably heavier with early engagement. Probably something an owner would get used to.
- The steel brakes are very touchy. I spent 20 minutes in the car, never got comfortable with them. Again, probably something an owner would get used to, and frankly probably good for track use, which is not important to me.
- The power is maybe the same. I don't think I'd ever driven a supercharged engine before so I don't have much to go on here. The bottom end power is not tremendous in either of these cars, but it felt like the Emira was struggling more in the low range, maybe because there was more engine noise to go along with the lack of torque. Top end felt good and similar to the 718.
- Interior noise in my "around the block" driving was louder than the 718.
- Ride quality was about what I expected. The one I drove had the "sport" chassis, and it was stiffer than my 718, which I configured without the "lowered" springs. I thought it fit the Emira well.
- It was 50F and had Cup2 tires. I don't even drive my 718 with PS4's in these temps, so I wasn't about to take any fast corners etc, so cant comment much here. Steering seemed inline with what I expected - there's lots of road feedback in straight lines.
- The leather bolsters in the car that I drove, as well as in the videos I've seen, was already showing wear, which is a bit of a put-off.

So in summary, I think it drove like I thought a Lotus would drive: stiff with good steering feel. The clutch and brakes are probably as intended, but I was disappointed with them. Interior quality was just fine, probably miles beyond historical Lotus quality, but still not quite as nice as I would like.

So I am on the fence whether to follow through.

I'd love to hear from other GTS/GT4 owners that have driven the Emira.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lightchop:
981KMAN (11-27-2022), Chris Danusiar (11-24-2022), tigerhonaker (11-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 02:54 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Sounds like a draw in the handling department with your limited test drive?

How would you rate the interior build quality vs Porsche?

I got to say Emira wins in the looks department.

Small dealer network, new model issues, and long term reliability worries me a bit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
jorijori (05-30-2023), Mr. Adair (11-29-2022), Smeato (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 02:56 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. I have had my eyes on it as well. How's its gearbox and shift action?

I have no driving experience w/ the Emira at all but that's not the power delivery characteristic I'd expected from a root SC V6. It sounds more like the characteristic of a centrifugal instead.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:29 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

@Dyim - yes no complaints with handling, it lived up to expectations. Interior build quality is tough to say. Like I mentioned, the leather bolsters were showing wear already. It's possible that I've become a bit of a Porsche-fanboy, but I was disappointed with the lack of analog gauges anywhere. It's marginally not as nice of a cabin to be in IMO, bit more plastic-y and less thud-y, compared to a Porsche. I appreciated that the volume controls and AC were still nice tactile buttons, but other than that, you're going into the infotainment to do most everything else. And I was able to lower, recline, and move the seat to be just as comfortable, no complaints on seating position. Its hard to know if build quality will hold up, but when your Lotus dealer is also the local Maserati and Alfa Romeo dealer, you're kind of guilty by association. Closing the doors and trunk did feel solid (ie thud/heavier/better) than I had feared, so maybe they've figured it out.

@RedCarrot - ah yes the gearbox - it felt good, the throws felt roughly the same length with decent momentum into each slot, nothing felt funny there. You probably know - there is no auto-blip in the Emira - which I think is heresy to admit to liking - but I do, and I wish the Emira had it. Power - I don't have supercharger experience that I know of, but I had anticipated something more turbo-like. I didn't get a chance to thrash it on the local roads and given the weather, but it felt much more linear, akin to the 4.0. Only observation was in lower RPM range, perhaps because its just a louder experience overall, it felt like it was working harder to do not-so-much, giving the impression of being underpowered. I did enjoy the entire minute I had it cruising on / off throttle in the 4-6k range. I suspect I'd drive it like I do the 4.0 when I am want to have fun.

Oh and one more very odd quibble - the driver-side mirror is somehow distorted. Quick glances over to it were not readily clear, its like your eyes had to adjust to figure out what you were looking at. I had intended to inspect it after getting out of the car, but it must be concave/convex or something.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:30 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

I owned a 21 Evora GT and would like to ask you if the Emira has a better/less race-like pedal set up. The Evora pedals were very close together making it difficult to wear shoes of any kind. I enjoyed every driving aspect of the Evora aside from the pedals. My only real issues were with the interior build quality. Mine could’ve been an anomaly. If the Emira addresses these quirks it will be a fantastic car.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:40 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 557 Posts

The 2 key take-aways from various reviews were that , 1) the gearbox isn't good and miles apart from the 718 shifter, although the 718 MT sets a very high act to follow. 2) the engine is rather uninspiring. Frankly I don't see the point if those 2 key components are lacking in comparison to a 718, however I expect the Emira will likely be a success none the less, as for many sportscar owners it will be good enough and has the amazing looks to counter the negatives.

I have driven an Evora a few years back, and the Emira shares the same SC V6 and MT. I didn't love, nor hate it. It just wasn't an emotional experience at all.

I'm sure the Emira is a great car, however the 718 4.0 is a tough act to follow especially as they are priced the same.

The AMG DCT version would likely be the better version of the Emira, which could get very close to a 718 4.0 PDK experience. Who here wants another forced induction 2.0 paddleshifter though?
The following 4 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Alpha Ice (12-12-2022), Chris Danusiar (11-24-2022), Larson E. Rapp (12-19-2023), UncleDude (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 03:41 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jay9722
I owned a 21 Evora GT and would like to ask you if the Emira has a better/less race-like pedal set up. The Evora pedals were very close together making it difficult to wear shoes of any kind. I enjoyed every driving aspect of the Evora aside from the pedals. My only real issues were with the interior build quality. Mine could’ve been an anomaly. If the Emira addresses these quirks it will be a fantastic car.
Ah yes I forgot about this! I saw a review somewhere about the pedals on the US version being too close together (but the UK RHD ones were ok). I completely forgot to look at it at the test drive, but nothing felt out of line - I assume if it was a real issue I would have noticed. I was worried at one point that my feet would be too big. Cant believe I forgot to look closer at this.

The dealer previously had me sit in an Evora GT to prove that Lotus has made a car that I'd fit comfortably in, and indeed it was. In my short experience there, I'd say the Emira is just as roomy, if not more so. Again the build quality felt just fine, but its a brand new car so that masks quite a bit. And the bolsters were worn already. Oh, and the steering wheel buttons felt a bit plastic-y. Neither a true button or a Porsche-like haptic button. Not the best to the touch, but functional.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:49 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Would you sell the Porsche for the Emira or keep them both?
Old 11-23-2022, 03:58 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jay9722
Would you sell the Porsche for the Emira or keep them both?
Even before the test drive, I had intended to keep both. If it was one or the other, then it would be a non-starter for me. Hands down 718 would be kept.

I really want to hear a counter opinion from someone who prefers the Emira over the 718. Admittedly Rennlist is not the place that would happen. I need to post similar on the Lotus forums.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:00 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

I drove the Emira. Though I didn’t feel like it was worth moving on from my GT4, it is a very cool car. Engine and gearbox are meh, though effective. Brakes are over boosted. Clutch is lighter than 981. Sport suspension rides great, less bumpy y than gt4. Car is more focused than a GTS. But maybe not a gt4.

will post my detailed impressions later tonight.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You were afraid to drive Cup2s hard in 50F weather?
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Bents (11-23-2022), Dr.JDK (12-01-2022), ldamelio (12-20-2023), Zhao (11-29-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 08:20 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You were afraid to drive Cup2s hard in 50F weather?
Afraid, no. Cautious, yes. I don't deny I might just be a wuss, but even the Pilot Sport 4s's on my Cayman are sketchy when cold and under 50F.

Am I wrong here to think the Cup2s are even more sketchy?
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (11-28-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 08:51 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Lightchop
Am I wrong here to think the Cup2s are even more sketchy?
Yes, Cup2s are no slouch.

Lotus Exige ex-owner, would never buy another Lotus again, build quality is abysmal. Lotus are kit car manufacturers, not mainstream.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:50 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 213 Posts

My perspective may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but I’ve owned a ‘17 Evora 400 (10K mi) and now a ‘21 Evora GT (5K mi), as well as 3 991.2 GT3’s (2 manual, 1 PDK) with an incoming GT4RS.

The Evora is a great car. Putting aside the looks (which I like) and rarity, it has a sense of occasion- great seats (carbon sparco spx’s with custom stitching), old school dash / gauges / hvac controls, a supercar view out over the front fenders + massive haunches in the side view mirrors. The supercharged V6 had plenty of low end torque and linear power delivery, matched to a very good manual gearbox and clutch. The hydraulic steering rack remains the benchmark in this segment and is noticeably more feelsome than the 991.2 GT3 (but not as good as the 997 GT3). Also living up to its reputation is the handling- in a word, sublime- compliant for DD and progressive, communicative at the track.

Downsides- seating position is a touch high; pedals a bit close (ie fine for driving shoes, loafers, etc but not for Hoka’s); 6500 rpm redline; gearshift fine for daily driving but not as good as GT3 on track. Very basic tech / audio. Exhaust note good but nothing like a GT product. Threadbare dealer network. Inconsistent reliability (although my evora’s have been bulletproof).

The Evora is one of those products that is greater than the sum of its parts and will be a long term keeper for me- so far the jury appears to be out as to whether the Emira is a better driving car than the Evora. Certainly it has a more modern interior and exterior although to my eyes the aesthetic changes are not necessarily improvements and I would wait on considering one until all the bugs have been sorted.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fang911:
Denny Swift (11-25-2022), enduro (11-28-2022), Tompoodie (09-08-2024)
Old 11-27-2022, 10:36 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm also on the waitlist for a Lotus Emira. I plan on keeping my 2015 Cayman and 2022 Boxster 25Y. The Emira wins on looks (subjective) and I think will provide a more raw sports car experience.

Will it hold up as well as our Porsches have? Only time will tell.......

The following 5 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
JAhmed (11-29-2022), jorijori (06-12-2023), josephr25 (11-28-2022), n4v4nod (11-29-2022), StilettoPat (12-01-2022)

Quick Reply: I test drove the Lotus Emira