Notices

I test drove the Lotus Emira

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022 | 09:00 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lucifer
A friend of mine was the first to place a deposit with our local bay area dealer, almost two years ago, still hasn't received a car
Hahaha . . . like the GT4, most waiting never will

Welcome to the Great Reset

Avea
Old 12-01-2022 | 09:02 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avera
There are two reasons I personally moved into the GT4

1. The aero bits and pieces (e.g., front end and rear wing) really give the GT4 a different road presence . . . 'better' in my opinion

2. I thought the NA engine would be superior. Not necessarily in terms of overall performance, but more linear, better sounding, etc.

The GT4 is more linear and I really like it, but not sure it is 'better.'

I DO like the taller red line and long gearing, but I could easily see how someone might prefer the 2.5T.

My exhaust journey with the GT4 has been, well, a journey. I have settled into a 'satisfied' zone, but achieving my idea of a perfect balance of decibels, tone and drone just does not seem possible. I will not digress, as I have commented on my journey elsewhere. The 2.5T had amazing cabin acoustics; sounded great when wrung out, during induction, and on downshifts. I never explored aftermarket exhaust options with 2.5T . . . but there seems to be some really good aftermarket options out there. Overall - despite not achieving what I had hoped - I do think the GT4 is superior in terms of exhaust acoustics.

For those that are into aftermarket tuning, I do not think there is any question that far more can be squeezed out of the turbo engines than NA engines. Personally, I never thought the 2.5T needed 'more' in terms of my spirited roadway usage.

Anyway, I know this thread is about the Emira . . . but it seems comparison is in order given this is a GT4/4.0 forum. So, I do not think this represents much of a digression.

Avera
Personally, one of the reasons I didn't order a GTS 2.5 almost two years ago when I was offered an allocation for 10% below MSRP was the engine.
I just didn't like the 2.5T that much. I didn't like the fact I didn't need to work to get tons of torque at any moment, I didn't like the sound it made (it was very loud, but not pleasant to my ears), etc.
And I was under the feeling that for over 100k I should make zero compromises.
So I decided to wait.
Old 12-01-2022 | 09:13 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Personally, one of the reasons I didn't order a GTS 2.5 almost two years ago when I was offered an allocation for 10% below MSRP was the engine.
I just didn't like the 2.5T that much. I didn't like the fact I didn't need to work to get tons of torque at any moment, I didn't like the sound it made (it was very loud, but not pleasant to my ears), etc.
And I was under the feeling that for over 100k I should make zero compromises.
So I decided to wait.
Perfectly reasonable

Avera
Old 12-01-2022 | 11:28 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

First-person I've ever seen (including dozens of reviews I've watched) that says he felt such a huge difference between the GTS and the GT4.
I found the steering feel in the GTS4.0 numb. Then I drove a Spyder and could not stop driving it. Steering feel due to the GT suspension parts is quote obvious, in another league.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022 | 09:48 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
I found the steering feel in the GTS4.0 numb. Then I drove a Spyder and could not stop driving it. Steering feel due to the GT suspension parts is quote obvious, in another league.
This shouldn’t be surprising, the entire front chassis and mount is from the 991.2 GT3. Including the steering rack.
Old 12-02-2022 | 10:50 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

You should try one with monobals, Al thrust arm bushings, and a track alignment. Takes things up another couple notches.
Old 12-02-2022 | 11:13 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This shouldn’t be surprising, the entire front chassis and mount is from the 991.2 GT3. Including the steering rack.
Correct, I don't know why some people would think otherwise. They are not the same car whatsoever, completely different feel.
Old 12-02-2022 | 12:34 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if you read my post but I clearly mentioned that the Evora, GT4 and Spyder are all miles above my GTS4.0 for feel. I like old school, analog feeling cars. Lotus fits the bill very well for me, so do some other Porsche models but none of those are currently available to me.
Correct, I don't know why some people would think otherwise. They are not the same car whatsoever, completely different feel.
Not sure if you read my post, but let me be more clear in spelling out that you are in the minority. I get that the GT parts will make a difference, but you and select other Lotus fanboys are by yourselves in talking about "numb" steering feel out of a 718 GTS.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just... your opinion isn't necessarily agreed with by most people.

Why I asked if you were Jay Emm, maybe you didn't get the reference. He got pretty **** on with his take on the GTS 4.0, which reflects your views, except for the GT4/Spyder comparison. He's also a noted Lotus fanboy.

Back on topic, I like the Emira, would be excited to see one/drive one, but I'm not interested at all in owning one. Maybe if they make a drop top version I'll reconsider, but unlikely. Not excited about the engine, the looks are a novelty (to me), and I value reliability and dealer accessibility.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-02-2022 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DreiPedals (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022 | 01:18 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Having owned all of one Lotus, I’ll just say the fun factor is untouchable. That said, they would make a lousy 1st or 2nd car, but a great 3rd or 4th.
Old 12-02-2022 | 03:29 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Not sure if you read my post, but let me be more clear in spelling out that you are in the minority. I get that the GT parts will make a difference, but you and select other Lotus fanboys are by yourselves in talking about "numb" steering feel out of a 718 GTS.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just... your opinion isn't necessarily agreed with by most people.

Why I asked if you were Jay Emm, maybe you didn't get the reference. He got pretty **** on with his take on the GTS 4.0, which reflects your views, except for the GT4/Spyder comparison. He's also a noted Lotus fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehPrGdmyxU

Back on topic, I like the Emira, would be excited to see one/drive one, but I'm not interested at all in owning one. Maybe if they make a drop top version I'll reconsider, but unlikely. Not excited about the engine, the looks are a novelty (to me), and I value reliability and dealer accessibility.
Good to know, but I don't think I am the minority. I am not a fanboy either because I owned many vehicles including Porsches and now Lotus. Hydraulic steering makes a massive difference for the Lotus, as do the GT suspension components in the GT4/Spyder. Lotus is simply a better feel the road car than a GTS4.0 IMHO. Not even close.
PS I did get your reference but saw no reason to reply to the comment.
Old 12-03-2022 | 08:15 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Good to know, but I don't think I am the minority. I am not a fanboy either because I owned many vehicles including Porsches and now Lotus. Hydraulic steering makes a massive difference for the Lotus, as do the GT suspension components in the GT4/Spyder. Lotus is simply a better feel the road car than a GTS4.0 IMHO. Not even close.
PS I did get your reference but saw no reason to reply to the comment.
This back and forth is getting an IRL chuckle out of me. Lotus lovers are funny!

I don't actually disagree with you that much- I'm sure the Emira or any Lotus is going to have more road feel than a GTS, and that's by design and shouldn't surprise anyone. Hydraulic steering, to me, is overrated now that Porsche and even some other manufacturers have had some trial and error with electric racks (even your self-proclaimed love of the GT4/Spyder serves as validation for this), but Lotus' whole schtick is basically making you feel like you're wrapped in cardboard. Because RAW, road feel! If that's what you like, it's what you like, and no a GTS probably won't scratch that itch completely. I'm sure it would get fatiguing in a car that's driven most of the time though so for me Lotus ownership is out of the question until I hit the Powerball, but I think it would be on the short list of cars I'd be interested in if money weren't an object.

But back to your comments- again, the whole "numb" thing. Come on dude, it makes you sound ridiculous, and you're DEFINITELY in the minority. There's clearly some other drama going on with your dealer or something that's influencing your thoughts on the matter. Just look at this thread as evidence (although there is inherent bias). It's why Jay Emm got destroyed in his own comment section in that video, and ripped to absolute pieces on this board and others- it's just the STRENGTH of your take. Sh*tting all over the handling of the GTS cars just drops your credibility to zero, even if you prefer one strongly over the other. No one in their right mind, having driven one of these cars for any significant period of time in almost any setting, would come away thinking they're "numb". And that's reflected in almost every video on YouTube or in every article from "real" auto journalists. So yeah, I still think you're in the minority.

THAT is where I'd like to see if I can get you to walk that comment back. At least get a "numb by comparison" out of you. But the conversation is pretty tired at this point, choose to ignore if you "see no reason to reply" and I won't hold it against you.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-03-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2022 | 02:21 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I dunno, swapping back and forth between modern cars and old cars (I have one from every decade. an 80s car I depowered the rack into a manual rack, a 90s car with hydraulic PS, a 00s car with electric steering, a 10s car with electric and a 20s car with electric, I'd agree with him by comparison the steering could be classified as numb, detached, lacking as much feel, but only by comparison.

I don't hate electric steering and have zero complaints with it in most cars. I quite like the electric steering in my GT4 and 130i, but they do lack that little bit of feed back something archaic gives you and that takes a little bit away.
Old 12-03-2022 | 02:23 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This back and forth is getting an IRL chuckle out of me. Lotus lovers are funny!

I don't actually disagree with you that much- I'm sure the Emira or any Lotus is going to have more road feel than a GTS, and that's by design and shouldn't surprise anyone. Hydraulic steering, to me, is overrated now that Porsche and even some other manufacturers have had some trial and error with electric racks (even your self-proclaimed love of the GT4/Spyder serves as validation for this), but Lotus' whole schtick is basically making you feel like you're wrapped in cardboard. Because RAW, road feel! If that's what you like, it's what you like, and no a GTS probably won't scratch that itch completely. I'm sure it would get fatiguing in a car that's driven most of the time though so for me Lotus ownership is out of the question until I hit the Powerball, but I think it would be on the short list of cars I'd be interested in if money weren't an object.

But back to your comments- again, the whole "numb" thing. Come on dude, it makes you sound ridiculous, and you're DEFINITELY in the minority. There's clearly some other drama going on with your dealer or something that's influencing your thoughts on the matter. Just look at this thread as evidence (although there is inherent bias). It's why Jay Emm got destroyed in his own comment section in that video, and ripped to absolute pieces on this board and others- it's just the STRENGTH of your take. Sh*tting all over the handling of the GTS cars just drops your credibility to zero, even if you prefer one strongly over the other. No one in their right mind, having driven one of these cars for any significant period of time in almost any setting, would come away thinking they're "numb". And that's reflected in almost every video on YouTube or in every article from "real" auto journalists. So yeah, I still think you're in the minority.

THAT is where I'd like to see if I can get you to walk that comment back. At least get a "numb by comparison" out of you. But the conversation is pretty tired at this point, choose to ignore if you "see no reason to reply" and I won't hold it against you.
Irrelevant to the GTS discussion but...

That comment holds little weight to me. Before I bought my GT4, ALL the Youtube videos praised the GT4's suspension and damping and made it sound like it was the second coming of suspension, when in reality it was FAR from that. Most of the videos are from lovers of the car and the magazine reviews highlight the good on track, not real world on roads that challenge the suspension. They shy away from the negatives.

Old 12-03-2022 | 06:22 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Irrelevant to the GTS discussion but...

That comment holds little weight to me. Before I bought my GT4, ALL the Youtube videos praised the GT4's suspension and damping and made it sound like it was the second coming of suspension, when in reality it was FAR from that. Most of the videos are from lovers of the car and the magazine reviews highlight the good on track, not real world on roads that challenge the suspension. They shy away from the negatives.
So you're insinuating that all the youtubers are lying when they've praised the suspension? Or is it just perhaps their experience was different to yours, therefore so is their opinion?
The following 3 users liked this post by lilbza:
manifold danger (12-04-2022), tigerhonaker (12-04-2022), Underblu (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022 | 06:53 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lilbza
So you're insinuating that all the youtubers are lying when they've praised the suspension? Or is it just perhaps their experience was different to yours, therefore so is their opinion?

I don't know why you insist on trying to turn everything I say into argument. There is no '"read between the lines" in my statement, take it at face value of IMO.

Quick Reply: I test drove the Lotus Emira