Notices

I test drove the Lotus Emira

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022 | 07:32 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I don't know why you insist on trying to turn everything I say into argument. There is no '"read between the lines" in my statement, take it at face value of IMO.
Why do you insist on taking every post off topic to express your disappointment with the Gt4's suspension? I mean you derailed the entire GT4RS driving impressions thread to rag on a car you haven't driven, and where I find the irony is, you used the comments of youtubers (savagegeese) to support your argument. Listen to youtubers, don't listen to youtubers... I'm confused.

Back on topic, having been a passenger in a Exige 410 Sport, I thought it was an absolute blast, but I couldn't see myself using it for anything more than track duties. If the Emira is even 80% as fun, but with the creature comforts to be used as a daily sportscar, I think it's going to be a great alternative to a GTS 4.0 / GT4.

Looking forward to seeing some more youtube reviews.
Old 12-03-2022 | 08:07 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Maybe it's because youtubers are just random people who decided to start recording themselves and the qualification for being successful is that they have regular content and are interesting to listen to, not that they have factual information, are qualified to comment on the topic, or even have much experience to pull from.

Driving 100 cars for a few hours doesn't really translate into knowing about cars, but if you throw around buzz words and copy and paste what most other people have said and don't deviate you legitimize yourself.

As far as I am concerned if you aren't successful at racing cars it is not possible to know very much about handling, because you have no idea what the limits of handling actually are. I remember driving a MR2 (the infamous snap oversteer hit a tree backwards car) for the first time on the track. I remember getting out and saying man that thing understeers on the limits but it was so easy to drive. The owner who had just driven it had been saying how it oversteered like crazy and was scary. Both of us were not lying about our personal experience, but only one of us had the skills to drive that car fast and comment correctly on it's handling.
Old 12-04-2022 | 07:42 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Irrelevant to the GTS discussion but...

That comment holds little weight to me. Before I bought my GT4, ALL the Youtube videos praised the GT4's suspension and damping and made it sound like it was the second coming of suspension, when in reality it was FAR from that. Most of the videos are from lovers of the car and the magazine reviews highlight the good on track, not real world on roads that challenge the suspension. They shy away from the negatives.
At least you qualified it as irrelevant to the GTS discussion this time lol.

We all know you hate your GT4 by now. I think it's fair to say... you're in the minority. Which was my entire point.

There's a reason YouTubers make literally millions of dollars and us on the forum are effectively paying out of our own pocket to talk about cars (for RL members it's literal). They represent a weighted opinion. Many of them do have experience racing or at least driving many cars on a race track. And it's not like I'm suggesting their words are the gospel; it's just that out of all of them out there, certain themes develop when discussing the same things we discuss. And some people fall within the lines of the consensus that develops. Some don't.

The ones that don't are in the MINORITY. Not right. Not wrong. Just less of them share those views. And it's fair to say that the YT reviewer views are a reflection of the larger enthusiast population.

That's all I'm saying.
Old 12-04-2022 | 12:36 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Well guys,
I/We can see what this thread has turned into like so many others, right

Terry
Old 12-04-2022 | 12:38 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Well guys,
I/We can see what this thread has turned into like so many others, right

Terry
Still wondering why people are surprised that discussion breaks out on a... discussion forum.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 01:56 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Harry’’s Garage Emira pick up

The following 4 users liked this post by ISPYA718:
JAhmed (12-04-2022), lcrain (12-14-2022), n4v4nod (12-04-2022), UncleDude (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 02:29 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

We all prioritize performance vs aesthetics differently on the spectrum of desirability.

Aesthetically, the Emira has some exotic pop. Like any car, certain angles are better than others. Internally, the Emira may have more modern features than the GT4, but I find interior unappealing . . . still prefer analog gauges and will never dig the look of an iPad pegged to the dashboard. The overall 'flow' of the interior is just off to me.

Performance-wise, I will assume the Emira is impressive, regardless of engine chosen to motor the chassis.

Overall, the Emira seems like a very nice car, but does not draw my interest when it comes to purchase considerations.

Avera
Old 12-04-2022 | 03:19 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Avera
We all prioritize performance vs aesthetics differently on the spectrum of desirability.

Aesthetically, the Emira has some exotic pop. Like any car, certain angles are better than others. Internally, the Emira may have more modern features than the GT4, but I find interior unappealing . . . still prefer analog gauges and will never dig the look of an iPad pegged to the dashboard. The overall 'flow' of the interior is just off to me.

Performance-wise, I will assume the Emira is impressive, regardless of engine chosen to motor the chassis.

Overall, the Emira seems like a very nice car, but does not draw my interest when it comes to purchase considerations.

Avera
Avera,

For me and me spending my monies.
I really don't care to spend what the New Lotus cost with another manufacturers engine.
No matter how great it looks inside or out ..............

Porsche Gt4 or Spyders have who's engines ?????????

That's right guys, Porsche engines !!!

I'll stick with the GT4 I have but I still do enjoy watching videos on the New Lotus cars.

Terry
Old 12-04-2022 | 05:45 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Factory collection of my new Lotus Emira plus start of 2500ml road trip. Emira Euro T

4 hours ago ............

Factory collection of my new Lotus Emira plus start of 2500ml road trip.
Emira Euro Tour part 1

Terry
jorijori (05-28-2023)
Old 12-04-2022 | 07:46 PM
Underblu
Banned

I have to say the Emira is a pretty car with an exotic albeit somewhat generic look imo. It seems to be a more luxurious, heavier Lotus which while not an oxymoron would seem to go slightly against the Colin Chapman maxim regarding weight. I have to believe a supercharged Toyota engine will be less exhilarating than a Porsche flat 6 that revs to 8k. However, I’d like to check it out in person. Maybe, if Lotus releases a lightweight version with the AMG engine, I’ll schedule a test drive.
Old 12-05-2022 | 10:57 AM
M718R
Instructor

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Avera,

For me and me spending my monies.
I really don't care to spend what the New Lotus cost with another manufacturers engine.
No matter how great it looks inside or out ..............

Porsche Gt4 or Spyders have who's engines ?????????

That's right guys, Porsche engines !!!

I'll stick with the GT4 I have but I still do enjoy watching videos on the New Lotus cars.

Terry
hmmmm.... I don't know about this. Many other manufacturers use / source different powertrains. F1 for example this is common place. In fact all throughout motor racing this is common, some of the best known vehicles ever made sourced their engine from a different manufacturer. LFA - perhaps the best N/A engine ever made.... from Yamaha.... Audi R8 form a Lambo..... all of Aston Martin.... etc.

Anyways, the Toyota 2GR-FE is probably the most reliable V6 ever manufactured. Hardly something to stick your nose up at. Also the numbers of the Emira vs GTS 4.0 are very close, and not sure how the Emira sounds in person but the Evora (same engine) sounded pretty amazing. Better than a flat 6 Porsche? That I don't know and I would think the Porsche engine is better in terms of performance. However, you have to respect the longevity and engineering of those Toyota V6's.
Avera (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 11:29 AM
elitex
Instructor

I haven’t driven the Emira yet but have owned the Evora 400 and Evora GT. GT chassis setup was perfection imo. Engine is nice, reliable, screams towards redline. The only downside to me was the 6 speed. Feel is great but it has really funky 1st to second shift, gearing is still on the taller side on the first and second gear. They are using the exact same gearbox in Emira. Big miss imo.

also not much on the aftermarket side if that’s your thing. I expect Emira to be similar in this regard.
Old 12-05-2022 | 11:58 AM
Underblu
Banned

This may be technically accurate but a bespoke high end engine from a 3rd party manufacturer is a little different than the seemingly very pedestrian Toyota V6 in the Emira.

If Lotus sourced an engine from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Mclaren, etc, I think the whole attitude of the Emira would change (moving it considerably upscale) and no one would mention the fact that it’s a 3rd party engine. The MB option sounds interesting but being a 4 cylinder might put some people off.

A performance car’s heart is its engine. And at least for me, a Toyota V6, supercharged is not my idea of a high performance engine. I wonder what demand there would be for the Emira with the quadrafigliore from Alfa. Given the Emira’s looks and suspension setup that’s a car that would be on my short list.

Originally Posted by M718R
hmmmm.... I don't know about this. Many other manufacturers use / source different powertrains. F1 for example this is common place. In fact all throughout motor racing this is common, some of the best known vehicles ever made sourced their engine from a different manufacturer. LFA - perhaps the best N/A engine ever made.... from Yamaha.... Audi R8 form a Lambo..... all of Aston Martin.... etc.

Anyways, the Toyota 2GR-FE is probably the most reliable V6 ever manufactured. Hardly something to stick your nose up at. Also the numbers of the Emira vs GTS 4.0 are very close, and not sure how the Emira sounds in person but the Evora (same engine) sounded pretty amazing. Better than a flat 6 Porsche? That I don't know and I would think the Porsche engine is better in terms of performance. However, you have to respect the longevity and engineering of those Toyota V6's.

Last edited by Underblu; 12-05-2022 at 11:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Underblu:
008 (12-05-2022), tigerhonaker (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 02:11 PM
M718R
Instructor

Originally Posted by Underblu
This may be technically accurate but a bespoke high end engine from a 3rd party manufacturer is a little different than the seemingly very pedestrian Toyota V6 in the Emira.

If Lotus sourced an engine from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Mclaren, etc, I think the whole attitude of the Emira would change (moving it considerably upscale) and no one would mention the fact that it’s a 3rd party engine. The MB option sounds interesting but being a 4 cylinder might put some people off.

A performance car’s heart is its engine. And at least for me, a Toyota V6, supercharged is not my idea of a high performance engine. I wonder what demand there would be for the Emira with the quadrafigliore from Alfa. Given the Emira’s looks and suspension setup that’s a car that would be on my short list.
I don't think 400HP is pedestrian. I have driven an Exige 390 Sport around a track while in England, let me tell you that thing is outrageous. Gave me a completely different perception of a Toyota V6. I'm not trying to argue your point, but just making an observation that the besides a Cayman GTS/GT4, no one else is making a 3200 lbs/400 HP/mid-engine manual sports car, that looks far better/exotic than anything else in its class. Anyone that does not at least appreciate what Lotus did with the Emira can not be looking at it objectively. I know, I know I'm on a Porsche forum, which I own one and love. I guess I like the fact that there is a Toyota V6 in there instead of a BMW turbo.

Also check out the Lotus Radford 62-2... It has the same Toyota V6, albeit tuned differently. Hardly pedestrian.
Old 12-05-2022 | 02:11 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Underblu

I honestly have no opinion about the engine thing . . . if it is a good engine, would not matter to me who made it

This might be off-topic, but doesn't Toyota use a BMW (B58) inline six in their Supra, which seems to be a wildly popular car?

So, Toyota borrows an inline six for their Supra, and Lotus borrows a V6 from Toyota for their Emira . . . that seems strange

Avera
Underblu (12-05-2022)

Quick Reply: I test drove the Lotus Emira