Notices

Replace 991.1 C4S with a Ferrari 328 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replace 991.1 C4S with a Ferrari 328 GTS?

*I've cross-posted this on FerrariChat so that I can compare and contrast the responses. Should be an interesting experience!*

My 991.1 C4S is the greatest car I've ever driven, and probably the best car I'll ever be able to afford. I see it as basically perfect for me in almost every way. But a Ferrari 328 has always been on my bucket list, and I often finding myself wanting something flashier, rarer, and slower. That's right -- I think I would be better off without the temptation to drive felonious speeds.

I would have to sell my C4S to afford the Ferrari. And giving up the back seats would mean my 8 and 10 year old boys could no longer ride around with me, which they do enjoy (for the time being, at least). There's really no doubt that the 911 is objectively better than the Ferrari by almost every measure (except for the fact that it's less exotic and special), but I'm having trouble analyzing what I prefer more: having an "ideal" car (i.e., one that is basically close to perfect for me), or fulfilling lifelong fantasies and crossing cars off my bucket list.

Incidentally, other cars on my list of fantasy cars include the De Tomaso Pantera and the Lotus Esprit. But given my budget it's not realistic to actually attempt to cross them all off my list, and I doubt I'll try. But the 328 holds a special place in my heart.

If you have any thoughts, opinions, or words of wisdom on this topic, please share!

Last edited by SLC Tortfeasor; 06-19-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Stick with the 911.

Sometimes it is better to never meet your heroes.

This is one of those times.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
My 991.1 C4S is the greatest car I've ever driven, and probably the best car I'll ever be able to afford. I see it as basically perfect for me in almost every way. But a Ferrari 328 has always been on my bucket list, and I often finding myself wanting something flashier, rarer, and slower. That's right -- I think I would be better off without the temptation to drive felonious speeds.

I would have to sell my C4S to afford the Ferrari. And giving up the back seats would mean my 8 and 10 year old boys could no longer ride around with me, which they do enjoy (for the time being, at least). There's really no doubt that the 911 is objectively better than the Ferrari by almost every measure (except for the fact that it's less exotic and special), but I'm having trouble analyzing what I prefer more: having an "ideal" car (i.e., one that is basically close to perfect for me), or fulfilling lifelong fantasies and crossing cars off my bucket list.

Incidentally, other cars on my list of fantasy cars include the De Tomaso Pantera and the Lotus Esprit. But given my budget it's not realistic to actually attempt to cross them all off my list, and I doubt I'll try. But the 328 holds a special place in my heart.

If you have any thoughts, opinions, or words of wisdom on this topic, please share!
I assume you have driven one, right? I have and it is a lot different! I drove a 458 last weekend and I almost thought about adding it but when I got back in the Targa I told my wife I would always pick it so she could use it - she said she hated the seats so we passed. Maintenance is also quite a lot but they are appreciating so if you want to experience one this is the time. I want to experience as many cars and bikes as I can but even though I like many I still need to be selective!
Old 06-19-2020, 09:11 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I assume you have driven one, right? I have and it is a lot different! I drove a 458 last weekend and I almost thought about adding it but when I got back in the Targa I told my wife I would always pick it so she could use it - she said she hated the seats so we passed. Maintenance is also quite a lot but they are appreciating so if you want to experience one this is the time. I want to experience as many cars and bikes as I can but even though I like many I still need to be selective!
I've driven a 308, but not a 328, yet. I loved the way it looked, but not the way it drove. It just felt old. Presumably the 328 will feel a bit better?

But maybe it's time for me to grow up and focus less on having a fast, awesome car that can get me killed or arrested, and focus more on just having a cool, fun car? This is just one of the many things I'm pondering on this subject.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I've driven a 308, but not a 328, yet. I loved the way it looked, but not the way it drove. It just felt old. Presumably the 328 will feel a bit better?

But maybe it's time for me to grow up and focus less on having a fast, awesome car that can get me killed or arrested, and focus more on just having a cool, fun car? This is just one of the many things I'm pondering on this subject.
Nah, about the same actually. If you drove them back to back you would notice more but not when coming from a 991! I have driven most F cars, except the most recent, very expensive ones, and each one gets better although just like P cars some people prefer the older models. Nevertheless, if it is car you have always wanted to experience you should probably check one out and drive it to be sure.
The following users liked this post:
SLC Tortfeasor (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:18 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't know about a replacement. Maybe a complement to each other? I've always loved the look of the 308/328. One of the best looking F cars ever.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Explorer16
I don't know about a replacement. Maybe a complement to each other? I've always loved the look of the 308/328. One of the best looking F cars ever.
I forgot to ask, Rosso corsa?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:58 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Price an oil change

I think they are like 3 to 5k on old ferraris which is obscene. Affording to buy one is not the same as maintaining one talk to someferrari guys about upkeep annual cost.

That being said, the F430 with the F1 package is my holy grail. I just need to start playing the lotto.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:49 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I think they are like 3 to 5k on old ferraris which is obscene. Affording to buy one is not the same as maintaining one talk to someferrari guys about upkeep annual cost.

That being said, the F430 with the F1 package is my holy grail. I just need to start playing the lotto.
Thanks, I'll look into oil change costs.

I have driven an F430 with a Tubi exhaust and it was the most incredible sound I've ever heard. The driving dynamics were inferior to my 991.1 however, and the interior was not as good. Also not as comfortable.

Quick Reply: Replace 991.1 C4S with a Ferrari 328 GTS?