Notices

NE regional meet, big time

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NE regional meet, big time

I along with help from several other people from various sites are planning a huge meet for late spring(May 20th)

so far we've decided that Newport, RI would be a great spot, at that point in time in the year it's warm but not overly hot. for those that have them, allergies shouldn't pose an issue. Newport is a beautiful town with plenty of places to eat, and plenty of roads in the area for cruising.

types of cars expected: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti, Konigseeg, 3/S, Supra, Z, Corvette, Viper, Aston Martin, Lotus, and many more.

let me know. it is a one day meet, if needed there are plenty of hotels in the area just in case you want to use the whole weekend.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Keep us updated on the details as you get them. Let me know if I can assist with the planning.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 PM
plambert
Instructor

Sounds great. I am only 45 minutes from there! Keep me informed, pls.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

the only help i need as of right now, spreading the word to other sites. i just want this thing to be huge. only other thing i can think of is finding somewhere to host it in Newport, but i'm going to spend some time during the rolex race this weekend doing that
Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
vipprimo
Intermediate

Newport has many meets that use it as a stopping point. It's a great location with many places to stop.

There are also geographic issues with Newport. Depending on the size it can get tight, which is why many people use Goddard Park and those areas for bigger meets, but these areas don't cater to height restrictions on some of the cars you listed either. Exotic events on the "huge" level usually don't have a lot of cars so it depends on your definition of huge.

Which sites are involved? Is there a team of people or just one person? There are a lot of questions I would have.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

we're still coming up with final details. while i'm at work there isn't much i can do as the firewall blocks just about everything, how rennlist works and other forums don't i have to figure out...but i'm not going to question it either.

there are about 5 of us involved in organizing this meet. as of right now i've got about 20-30 cars. obviously still 4 months away there are going to be more people added on. there is one f the organizers that lives in Newport and is going to help find a location as well as some road that can be driven.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
vipprimo
Intermediate

I just wrote a big post and my sign-in timed out.

Anyway, my friend lives in Newport. Steve. And he is the Newport Master if you ask me.

What kind of cars are you seeing that are dedicated in the 20-30 line-up? Will there be a drive-up with stops to pick up more people in the group?

A lot of potential here.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

cars types: 3000gt/stealth(my current car), vettes, supra's, rx7's, porsche's(not sure model type), 1 veyron or agera possible(depends on what he picks from the garage that day), MBZ, other assorted vehicles, and the list of people/cars goes up almost every day.

if steve lives there, it'd be great if he could find a spot for a meet(like a park or big mall that wouldn't mind us using the lot)

as for stopping points along the way, i'm not sure as i'd be bringing people from NJ and NYC..and the guys i drive with, we really wouldn't need to stop except for maybe gas. for those coming from other spots(New England or upstate NY) we could probably arange some meet points along the way.

i'm going to all the sites tonight to make a list of actual cars coming and how many people with them.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep us posted. I'm certainly interested. I'm also curious as to where you might have it? You might also want to see if the date you are using is in conflict with the Newport Concours D'elegance, as its often around the 3rd weekend of May.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

it's being held Sunday May 22nd...funny, sunday is the 20th, tuesday is the 22nd. yet another site is saying may 21-22. i wonder if they realize that this is a leap yr? if it is the 19/20th(sat and sun) than um...there's 2 things in the area at the same time. we are still far enough away that i could probably move it around so that there isn't any interferance with the concours, while at the same time i feel that our group would be an imposition on them as they're going to be by the fortress in Newport.

there was talk on another site of having somewhere near the beach.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like they haven't updated their site yet. I believe the Concours was the May 21 & 22 last year. Maybe you should call or contact them to see if its the same weekend. Just thought I'd give you a heads up, since the Concours is usually a big event in Newport, lots "car people" from CT, RI, MA, & NY go to the Concours. So you might lose some would be attendees that own nice cars. Fort Adams (which is where the Concours has been the last few years) might be one of the few venues in the Newport area that is large enough for you if you really think you will have a big event. Also, you may find with 2 car events the same weekend, parking, traffic, and hotels might be at a premium. Just thought I'd give you a heads up to what could be happening the same weekend. Wishing you luck and I look forward to seeing the details once you have finalized your event.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i thank you for the heads up. i already sent an email to them to find out about the dates that they decided, hopefully they'll call back in the next couple days. it does mention the fort, which when i was up for my sisters wedding i took some time and toured it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
vipprimo
Intermediate

I think I'm going to pass on this one. Have fun guys. I should be a definite for Newport Concours though. I won't be displaying though unless the boss brings a toy out.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Concours

Steve here....Always great to hear about events in newport. If its the same day as the concours I am sorry but busy with some other car events.......if another day would be glad to help out just PM me...

Always eager to see some neat cars from another area of New England come to Newport... here is what we put together car wise for a newport event in the past....

yes I am the guy with the funny hat on and sunglasses

Look forward to hearing from you....
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default One more.....

Quick Reply: NE regional meet, big time