Notices

SW Boston Cars & Coffee Saturday/Sunday Walpole, MA - Starbucks (Sharon Line)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to get the Sharon/Walpole Starbucks C&C to be a weekly event weather permitting. Warmer weather is closer every day The Herb Chambers event in Sharon is once in a while.

In addition the the weekly gathering there was some thought of Rennlisters invading the HC event happening right down the street when it occurs and I like the concept.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
pjstevens77
Instructor

Originally Posted by boston951
Looking to get the Sharon/Walpole Starbucks C&C to be a weekly event weather permitting. Warmer weather is closer every day The Herb Chambers event in Sharon is once in a while.

In addition the the weekly gathering there was some thought of Rennlisters invading the HC event happening right down the street when it occurs and I like the concept.
Me too!

Last edited by pjstevens77; 04-24-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new website. I hope to make it to a few of your events this summer (especially if they start later or last longer...7am might be tough for some of us from RI).

Just wanted to give you a heads up, that you might want to go with April 23rd rather than the 16th. I already saw a notice for some kind of cars/coffee event happening on the 16th Boston/Brookline. I have no affiliation with that group, but I've been to one of their events when it was north of Boston. The event I went to pulled about 200 cars. A few exotics, some P cars, MBs, BMWs, and lots of tuned VWs & Japanese cars. You might get a better turn out for your initial cars and coffee if its not on the same a day as the event at Larz.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
pjstevens77
Instructor

I am a member of the Larz and I frequent the shows there, thats a great place to do that but at the same time, I don't really want to spend ALL my time at the Larz. This is the Yuppie Racing group that puts this on, they have been doing it for a few years I think mostly North of Boston.

I don't know about you guys but I'm really not wanting to make the trek up there to Woburn or Brookline every Saturday. So this is pretty much focused on the South of Boston/RI crew.

About the hours, trust me I know how you feel about the early thing. Just because it starts early doesn't mean you need to be there early. Get there at 8 and you'll have plenty of time to hang. If you notice many other C&C events are on early and done early. The whole idea behind this thing is for it to be casual and for it to be over early so people can get back to their day. I for one am like many people, I work all week, I have 3 small kids and my wife works on Sundays so I need to get on with my day.

I'm not looking to get hundreds of cars in this thing, I'd be pretty darn happy with 40. Baby steps, We'll shoot for the 23rd at this point, I'll get an event listed in that site and keep you guys updated. I think the Larz C&C will be every week as well, but I'm sure there is enough interest.

Last edited by pjstevens77; 04-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Hey pjstevens77. Just caught this thread was updated. Kudos my fellow Rennlister This is awesome stuff. Thanks for taking my idea to the next level. No toes stepped on in any way shape or form. From idea to inception, I just wanted to get a bunch of P-Car enthusiasts together and the Starbucks/Big Y location seemed so logical as there is easy access from many directions.

Never knew that C&C was copyrighted and trademarked. I was actually using GTG in most posts and then saw the C&C term so I adopted it. No matter what we call it, the GTG itself is all the fun.

A few things that I was taking into consideration as this event's genesis unfolded and I want to share and discuss:

Saturday was chosen in deference to the Taunton GTG that is ongoing on Sundays. This way both Saturday and Sunday were going to be in play. Also, religious activity would not interfere. Taunton was every other week and I thought every Saturday for Walpole as there will be the inevitable rain-outs that will eliminate many Saturday GTG's.

Official 9:00AM start time for the event was my thinking. I was trying to allow people who were going to have a bit of a longer drive time to wake and get their cars in order before making the trek. One could always arrive early, but this start time would not cause any stress, mess or fuss. Any earlier seemed to be a little too early. 7:00 AM is way early and 8:00AM is kind of early. Think about 9:00AM start-ups as that was the originally intended time. FWIW, most of these events run 60-90 minutes or so.

Parking considerations. The actual Starbucks parking lot is infinitesimal and will not accommodate many vehicles. Luckily, the Big Y Supermarket Parking lot immediately behind the Starbucks is huge. Even better, the adjacent part of the lot is farthest from the Big Y entrance and will not interfere with any customers arriving early to shop. This was another reason from the inception that this location was so high on my list.

If there are parking lot concerns it may lead us to speak with the Big Y store manager and get an official OK. Heck, having nice cars there that early may even be a draw for dad's to take their sons shopping early on Saturdays and check out the rides. Many times in the past fathers and sons would come over and talk to us about the Porsches.

Walpole/Sharon C&C would be more accurate as a descriptive title as it is really SW of Boston. South Shore implies the Braintree area and that direction. Less confusion is the goal here. SW C&C also works.

Looking forward to our first GTG on the 16th or the 23rd. We can always try a sample C&C on either date to start up our inaugural Walpole/Sharon GTG
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
pjstevens77
Instructor

Originally Posted by boston951
Hey pjstevens77. Just caught this thread was updated. Kudos my fellow Rennlister This is awesome stuff. Thanks for taking my idea to the next level. No toes stepped on in any way shape or form. From idea to inception, I just wanted to get a bunch of P-Car enthusiasts together and the Starbucks/Big Y location seemed so logical as there is easy access from many directions.

Official 9:00AM start time for the event was my thinking. I was trying to allow people who were going to have a bit of a longer drive time to wake and get their cars in order before making the trek. One could always arrive early, but this start time would not cause any stress, mess or fuss. Any earlier seemed to be a little too early. 7:00 AM is way early and 8:00AM is kind of early. Think about 9:00AM start-ups as that was the originally intended time. FWIW, most of these events run 60-90 minutes or so.

Walpole/Sharon C&C would be more accurate as a descriptive title as it is really SW of Boston. South Shore implies the Braintree area and that direction. Less confusion is the goal here. SW C&C also works.t:

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. There were a number of influences involved here and I totally understand your points. The early start time is geared to allow anyone to just pop in, so if the guys coming from RI want to show up at 9 they can, there will still be people there. I May bump it up to 8 am in the future to accommodate a little more time but in the end, I'm still going to be out of there before 10 regardless, so it was more of a "show up when you want" thing but for those who like to get out on the road early they can. Which makes sense, if you show up at 9 and its over by 10 then the event has done its job, cars and coffee for a hour or so and then a nice cruise to go home with.

Last edited by pjstevens77; 04-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Nothing wrong with including other makes/models as long as it's not a bunch of rusty DD's!

S.Shore is full of gear heads (mostly American Classics and Muscle Cars) so I'm not surprised that you are seeing interest from this group. Halifax has a weekly event every Friday at the Walmart which usually draws a good crowd (400+ cars), most of which are muscle cars and some 50's cars. Some newer cars too but they really do look out of place unfortunately. I still like to go since I'm a car nut at heart.

We picked Taunton since it's somewhat central to RI and many parts of MA but I also thought about Plymouth being a good location with good access to highways. Colony Place in Plymouth has a Starbucks and and plenty of parking and I know that the Walmart has a Saturday car show already established so a Cars and Coffee would probably be welcome by the property managers.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Cars & Caffeine Injection

Originally Posted by pjstevens77
Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. There were a number of influences involved here and I totally understand your points. The early start time is geared to allow anyone to just pop in, so if the guys coming from RI want to show up at 9 they can, there will still be people there. I May bump it up to 8 am in the future to accommodate a little more time but in the end, I'm still going to be out of there before 10 regardless, so it was more of a "show up when you want" thing but for those who like to get out on the road early they can. Which makes sense, if you show up at 9 and its over by 10 then the event has done its job, cars and coffee for a hour or so and then a nice cruise to go home with.

The name was a product of a term for many people to identify with, more of a marketing ploy if you will. This thing is going to be a WIP as the season moves along. I may even turn this over to someone else and start another one in the Braintree, Hingham or Marshfeild areas.

I should add that this is also open to anyone so we will see how that goes. It may be a bit awkward at first as I do have some confirmations from some muscle car guys....like I said this is a WIP and as time goes on I/We can tweak this thing. I will be interesting to see who shows up for the 1st one
It's all good. I just feel that 7AM is a wee bit on the early side for the official start time. 9AM was the official start time of the last event that I organized and I was always the first guy there any time before the start time and sometimes after it.

FWIW, the event could just as easily be called Cars & Caffeine Injection. Many folks drink tea nowadays anyways, LOL. Although this may upset the carburetor Muscle Car group. Really, the name is unimportant and the GTG is what counts.

I had resurrected the Southboro C&C event a few years back. Many types of foreign cars attended. Not so much on the muscle car side though. Several Rennlisters also had Ferraris and other foreign sports cars. These folks posted on the other boards they frequented and we ended up with some sweet exotic cars in addition to Porsches. It was a nice mix.

With the official C&C website listing you will certainly attract a lot more varied cars and gear-heads. Just don't want any American Muscle vs. Foreign fights to break out in the parking lot. Not to stereotype, but the Muscle Car guys are a bit of a different breed. For me it was all about the Rennlist community.

I just hope that we get some sunny and clear weekends this year. Another weekend and another rainy two days are forecast.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Nothing wrong with including other makes/models as long as it's not a bunch of rusty DD's!

S.Shore is full of gear heads (mostly American Classics and Muscle Cars) so I'm not surprised that you are seeing interest from this group. Halifax has a weekly event every Friday at the Walmart which usually draws a good crowd (400+ cars), most of which are muscle cars and some 50's cars. Some newer cars too but they really do look out of place unfortunately. I still like to go since I'm a car nut at heart.

We picked Taunton since it's somewhat central to RI and many parts of MA but I also thought about Plymouth being a good location with good access to highways. Colony Place in Plymouth has a Starbucks and and plenty of parking and I know that the Walmart has a Saturday car show already established so a Cars and Coffee would probably be welcome by the property managers.
I occasionally attend the Saturday Cliquot Cruise Night on Rt 109 in Millis, MA (begins May 7th) and I am one of the few Porsches that is on display. Very different crowd, but fun nonetheless. Muscle cars rule the night and a few newer Corvettes are always abound.

Walpole on Saturdays and Taunton every other Sunday sounds like a Rennlister's dream. Now, about the weather....

Quick Reply: SW Boston Cars & Coffee Saturday/Sunday Walpole, MA - Starbucks (Sharon Line)