Notices

Newport Concours - Newport, RI Sunday May 31, 2009 - Group Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newport Concours - Newport, RI Sunday May 31, 2009 - Group Drive?

Anyone going? I went last year, good event (I love the vintage and high end stuff). I am taking my 944 (not in the show obviously). The event is rain or shine (big canopies over the judged cars). There is usually a watch dealer, Bentley/Rolls/Maybach/Mercedes displays of old & new cars, the concours class, the non-judged concours, and the display only class, etc.

www.newportconcours.org

If anyone is going I would be interested in a mini caravan/group, but if I don't hear anything by Saturday I will just head down myself. Would like to meet any fellow listers if anyone is going. I also plan on getting there for right about the time it opens to the public.

Post & PM me.

- Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I didn't get a reply from them regarding my entry so I'm not going and I haven't prepared for it.

The guy I spoke with really didn't know much and stated he was the messenger. He stated that only cars built before 1970 can enter but didn't know more than that. Sounds like he didn't have a clue based on you seeing newer cars there. Oh well, too late to plan for it now.

Flaky behind the scenes operation IMHO as compared to other shows I've attended and entered.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Oh, sorry for that - by new cars I meant new cars on display from dealers/dealerships like at other concours, not in the concours. As far as the behind the scenes operation, I guess they had some internal issues in the past few years or something, it should be ok this year. It's a concours. I go to see the cars, that's about it.

I don't know if they would have taken the 928 for this one, it tends to be earlier stuff or one off - this is the same circuit as Greenwich, Pebble Beach, etc. IIRC. It's not an all accepting thing like a Porsche Concours or a Jaguar Concours whose classes go all the way up to present day.

I will probably give the 944 a nice wash and detail, nothing too insane and take it down for the drive for the day. Let me know if you want to do that, and if not we will catch up sometime when mickfluff's meet gets rescheduled, etc.

By the way, I love the Marine Blue 928 and the D90's you have painted to match are awesome.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cars being shown are supposed to be from 1970 or older to be judged. Although, 2 years ago they had a 1974 Dino 246 and last year there was a 1979 911SC, along with a 308 and 328 Ferrari from the 80s. But I believe everything that was post 1970 was just on display and not really intended to be part of the show.

My Wife and I are planning to go to the show but we will already be down in the area or I would drive down with you. I keep my summer fun car in southern MA.

Best regards,
Dino

P.S. I do hope there will be a Newport Meet & Greet sports car enthusiasts group gathering soon.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by Dino944
Although, 2 years ago they had a 1974 Dino 246 and last year there was a 1979 911SC, along with a 308 and 328 Ferrari from the 80s. But I believe everything that was post 1970 was just on display and not really intended to be part of the show.
Correct, display only class.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That makes more sense. I was just turned off by how the whole thing was handled. Nothing in their website mentions which era cars are allowed and they didn't respond to either of my emails.

Thanks for the compliment! I have to thank the original dealer that ordered the options on the car, it is bone stock except for the short shifter.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I am going

I am going with family in tow.....
Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Nice! Maybe we will cross paths.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

What is the location for this event?

I don't see it on the website.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Fort Adams State Park, on the right of the homepage when you click my link.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a nice event. Wife and I will be attending.

Last edited by CBejbl; 05-31-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Show ended up being pretty good, not as fancy this year as what I have seen in the past and there were a lot more high caliber cars the past few years as well. Still a lot of unique and/or beautiful ones this year though, the weather held and my drive down in the 944 was great, hitting the bridges was spectacular. Ran into mickfluff with his 911 and we talked some cars as we walked through the show. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you other guys that attended but we will all catch up soon when we have a meet.

I have pics from the event, I will post some if I get a chance.

Mickfluff, it was nice to meet you, car looks great, best of luck with it. Seal Grey is awesome. Thanks for the comments on my 944, its always nice to hear some feedback, it doesn't always get a lot of attention here.

Also, caught an orange 997 GT3RS coming down route 4 south (I was going back north towards Providence) late in the day. Anyone here?

- Mike
Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by ninefourfour89
Show ended up being pretty good, not as fancy this year as what I have seen in the past and there were a lot more high caliber cars the past few years as well. Still a lot of unique and/or beautiful ones this year though, the weather held and my drive down in the 944 was great, hitting the bridges was spectacular. Ran into mickfluff with his 911 and we talked some cars as we walked through the show. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you other guys that attended but we will all catch up soon when we have a meet.

- Mike
Overall I thought it was a pretty good show and it looked like they had more cars than last year. Although, I think the show they did 2 years ago had many more cars (really high end stuff too MB Gullwings, BMW 507s, half a dozen Duesenbergs etc). Sorry I missed you guys, but I did see Mickfluff's 911 parked on the grass. It looked great. Later in the day I thought I might have seen Mike's 944 in town, but when I saw the phone dials, I figured it was an earlier model year 86/87. I think the stock wheels on most 89 944s were the flat 928 style wheel. The 944 I saw looked to be in really nice shape, his red paint looked great, not all chipped and oxidized as many seem to be these days. I liked his plate too, it was "NINE 44."

I have some photos from the show that I will try to post later.

Hope to see you guys at an RI car enthusiasts gathering one of these days.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Dino, that was my car. Thanks for the kind words, the car is a little deceiving, the phone dials are late offset. The plate actually gets alot of attention, more than I thought it would.

There was a 3x8 behind me in traffic on the way to Fort Adams (my dad and little brother were in the silver XJ8 in front of me), had a 5 digit plate and I waved, I don't think he realized I was trying to say hello. It looked more like a later injected or quattrovalvole 308 GTS and the louvres behind the lights were flat black.

There were a couple 328 GTS's at the show, are you the one that has the "GTSI" plate or one of the other guys? And by all means, bring the Ferrari to the meet when we get together!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi Mike,

I actually saw your car after you left the show. You were driving on Spring Street and you were stopped for a light or traffic just as my Wife and I were about to get into a blue Mercedes sedan, which was on your right side. I noticed the paint was nice and very red (no oxidation). As the car went by my Wife (who really liked my old 944) said hey "check out his plate." The car looks fantastic and I hope to see it up close one of these days.

There were 2 308QVs at the show, mini-Ferrari parking area. The differnce in the color of the slats on QVs is US Spec vs. Euro Spec/gray market car. The one with black slats and square mirrors was a US spec car. The GTSI plate was on a 308...they dropped the "i" when the 328s came out.

I wasn't sure what parking would be like so I did not have bring the 328 to the show. But I will certainly bring it to a Newport/Middletown car gathering when we have one.

Actually, the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, and I'm looking for a good excuse to drive the car down from Southern MA to RI for a little while on Saturday. If anyone is interested in meeting for coffee and chatting cars over by the Barnes & Noble/Starbucks in Middletown for an hour or two on this Saturday morning I'd be happy to meet some local RI car enthusiasts.

Best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: Newport Concours - Newport, RI Sunday May 31, 2009 - Group Drive?