PCCB's in New England

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 10:18 AM
maxbb
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PCCB's in New England

Hey everyone
Working on finalizing my GT4 build and the last option I'm debating are the PCCB's. I read a great deal of useful info on these forums on the pros and cons but wanted to get a New Englander's perspective because lets face it, we don't have the best roads and have constant ongoing construction...oh yeah and the crazy weather!

So, for those who have PCCB's on their cars, have you had any issues with chipped rotors, gravel/rocks getting stuck and damaging the rim or anything like that? This car will be a good weather weekend driver with occasional track time (2-3 times a year)

thanks!
Old 07-25-2021, 06:23 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would not buy them if it were a track/street car in New England, and have steels on my 991.

My info is as of a few years ago, so perhaps the “formula” has changed, but: I know track guys with PCCBs who would swap out for steels on track days; I was told PCCBs will need to be replaced with moderate/heavy-ish track use. You will be swapping wheels/tires (road vs track), or replacing tires at an accelerated rate, which increases the likelihood of a rotor getting damaged. Cold, wet weather are not great for stopping with PCCBs.

The only way I would buy them is if I lived closer to the equator, and had enough money to not sweat replacing a chipped rotor and/or all four corners with heavy track work. They just seem like a lot of money for no brake dust and some very subtle bling
Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Check this thread I started last week:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1260...-a-911-c4.html

Last edited by Mark S; 07-26-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

My opinion only, PCCBs are great for keeping your wheels clean and there is no fade. With my 991 TTS I put the rotors in boxes and replaced them with AP racing 2 piece rotors. Once warm they are every bit as good as PCCB, no fade with heavy track use, a fraction of the price to replace discs and you don’t have to worry about damaging the rotors every time you change wheel/tire. If you are going to do any amount of track time I would definitely go with upgraded steel rotors.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by maxbb
Hey everyone
Working on finalizing my GT4 build and the last option I'm debating are the PCCB's. I read a great deal of useful info on these forums on the pros and cons but wanted to get a New Englander's perspective because lets face it, we don't have the best roads and have constant ongoing construction...oh yeah and the crazy weather!

So, for those who have PCCB's on their cars, have you had any issues with chipped rotors, gravel/rocks getting stuck and damaging the rim or anything like that? This car will be a good weather weekend driver with occasional track time (2-3 times a year)

thanks!
By the way I grew up in RI but left 40 years ago(after graduating from URI). I have a C4 on order for December delivery. I have not ticked the box for PCCBs yet but still have 60 days to lock. It’s tempting but lots of rocks on the roads in northern AZ, I am constantly getting my windshields repaired.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 720 Posts

No issues on my GT3 (16k) or RSQ8 (6k). I would spec them 10 out of 10 times on a new car, but that’s just me.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 PM
maxbb
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

hey everyone thanks for the feedback! Decided to check the box for PCCB's
Old 07-27-2021, 02:44 PM
DP8
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Only have about 3K miles on my GT4 but I've been driving it on any nice day since the spring. No issues so far and the roads around me have their share of gravel and crap. The Michelin Cup2s that come with the car are super sticky and pick up everything so you'll definitely hear the pinging of all those little rocks/mulch/etc. within the wheel wells.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:32 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

PCCB's - possessive

PCCBs - plural

easy peasy...

exception:
it's - contraction

its - possessive

Old 07-29-2021, 12:20 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
PCCB's - possessive

PCCBs - plural

easy peasy...

exception:
it's - contraction

its - possessive
The person I imagine writing the above comment:

P.S. I would rather be the guy (not me) who can afford to spec “PCCB’s” on a brand-new GT4, versus the guy (me) who correctly wrote “PCCBs”, but drives a 991.1 with steels

P.P.S. I am definitely going to win this PCA raffle, and then I can add every possible option to my GT4
The following 2 users liked this post by The Fat Kid:
Mark S (07-29-2021), maxbb (07-30-2021)

Quick Reply: PCCB's in New England