Detail Shop in Boston

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Neuro
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Detail Shop in Boston

Hi guys

picking the car from storage next week. It is a Guards red turbo. Does anyone know what the best shop for detail/ xpel is around here. I see adds from avs and craft detailing. Any experience with either? Thank you.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Unique Car Care is not the closest to downtown, but generally regarded as the best in the Boston area: https://uccboston.com/

Rick did ceramic and Xpel on my old S4, and two-stage paint correction and ceramic on my 911. They are very reasonably priced considering the quality of their work.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,052 Posts

+vote for UCC Boston.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again + vote for UCC Boston
Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Neuro
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you all so much.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:36 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Unique Car Care is not the closest to downtown, but generally regarded as the best in the Boston area: https://uccboston.com/

Rick did ceramic and Xpel on my old S4, and two-stage paint correction and ceramic on my 911. They are very reasonably priced considering the quality of their work.
Do you think the ceramic coat is worth it? I enjoy waxing my car. Does this mean I don't have to do that anymore?
My car also isn't garaged, but instead I'll use an outdoor car cover in the winter.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aegiswings
Do you think the ceramic coat is worth it? I enjoy waxing my car. Does this mean I don't have to do that anymore?
My car also isn't garaged, but instead I'll use an outdoor car cover in the winter.
Not to be evasive, but "worth" is completely subjective. I think it is a good idea if you keep an expensive car outside.

In terms of performance: Ceramic is like a slightly softer, wax-ier looking clear coat. The car is easier to wash and the paint is more resistant to stains/contaminants. You can still put wax over ceramic if you enjoy the process, but not really necessary. Ceramic is not going to prevent swirl marks and will eventually need to be reapplied.

I did a bunch of research on outdoor car covers and they can do way more damage than they prevent. One problem is any dirt on the car, or dirt that blows up under the cover, get trapped between the cover and the car, and that can easily damage your clear coat or paint as the cover moves with the wind. The other problem is moisture getting trapped under the cover, which can lead to mold/mildew problems.

^ No idea how I got different font sizes haha!

Last edited by The Fat Kid; 09-11-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Wonky font
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 720 Posts

AVI Boston in Newton.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

I went to UCC and got Xpel and ceramic coat. Basic Xpel was ~$1000 plus an extra $350 for the rocker panels. Ceramic was about $1000.

I'm very happy with it so far.

Anyone have any suggestions on an outdoor car cover? Should I just buy one from the dealer? I know the concerns about dirt or moisture getting under the cover, but I'd like to get one anyways.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by aegiswings
Anyone have any suggestions on an outdoor car cover? Should I just buy one from the dealer? I know the concerns about dirt or moisture getting under the cover, but I'd like to get one anyways.
It’s easier for me to find my previous posts on this subject than it is to type another one.

See post #14 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...tside-use.html

along with the rest of the thread.

This post, contains links to all the other cover threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...l#post14725827
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Hi all,

I'm also looking for detail shops in Boston and Boston North Shore area. I track my Cayman a lot and lightly hit a tire wall last weekend. Not a major deal, but it tore up the PPF. Looks like it needs a little touch up paint and new clear bra. I'm looking at Unique Car Care, Automotive Elegance, and Quintessential Car Care. Anyone else i should consider? My main goal is protection and durability.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Hi all,

I'm also looking for detail shops in Boston and Boston North Shore area. I track my Cayman a lot and lightly hit a tire wall last weekend. Not a major deal, but it tore up the PPF. Looks like it needs a little touch up paint and new clear bra. I'm looking at Unique Car Care, Automotive Elegance, and Quintessential Car Care. Anyone else i should consider? My main goal is protection and durability.

Thanks!
Bumping this up:
I also need PPF for a new Spyder coming next month. I have used UCC in the past and they were good, but also have heard good things lately about Q car. Just want to explore options. Anybody else use Q car in Burlington?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:22 PM
maxbb
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I had 2 cars done by Q most recently the gt4, great group of guys and local

The first car came out flawless with ceramic coating and PPF. The gt4 had black paint correction done (which looks amazing, the paint was pretty rough), ceramic coating and expel. Overall it came out great, however, the PPF does have some bubbles and a couple of rough edges that will need to be fixed in the spring but I dont anticipate this being an issue. I wouldnt hesitate to have your car done by Q. I can send you some before and after pics if you'd like
Old 01-10-2021, 10:33 AM
MDN
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Just used UCC for my Spyder in late 2020, and they had just recently moved from Andover to Middleton. Rick (owner) and his team were very professional, and their garage was spotless...

UCC seems to be most highly regarded shop in the area, and with a lot of experience with Porsche and other exotics. I'll exclusively work with them in the future if I can get an appointment.

Having called around to most places in Boston area, all seem to use XPEL PPF. Prices were pretty consistent the board, while some where willing to give a deal on Ceramic coating. Have heard good things about Craft in Dedham and Q in Burlington but no direct experience.

@Curvehound For the Spyder, I went with Full Frontal Wrap + Rocker Panel + Bottom Quarter of Rear Bumper...I mocked up an image below showing where I had coverage installed

The rear bumper wraps down right behind the (very wide) rear wheel and as a result is very exposed to rocks being kicked up. Only have 700 miles on the car and I already see areas in the film that would have been paint chips if the area was not covered.

The following users liked this post:
Curvehound (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MDN
Just used UCC for my Spyder in late 2020, and they had just recently moved from Andover to Middleton. Rick (owner) and his team were very professional, and their garage was spotless...

UCC seems to be most highly regarded shop in the area, and with a lot of experience with Porsche and other exotics. I'll exclusively work with them in the future if I can get an appointment.

Having called around to most places in Boston area, all seem to use XPEL PPF. Prices were pretty consistent the board, while some where willing to give a deal on Ceramic coating. Have heard good things about Craft in Dedham and Q in Burlington but no direct experience.

@Curvehound For the Spyder, I went with Full Frontal Wrap + Rocker Panel + Bottom Quarter of Rear Bumper...I mocked up an image below showing where I had coverage installed

The rear bumper wraps down right behind the (very wide) rear wheel and as a result is very exposed to rocks being kicked up. Only have 700 miles on the car and I already see areas in the film that would have been paint chips if the area was not covered.

thanks for the input - very helpful. I have spoken to Rick and am setting up an appt. What you mapped out is pretty close to what I was planning as well. similar to what I had on my 911. My only question is whether to do the area behind the front wheels or just do full hood and the front wheel arch. it seemed a lot more extra (eg $500) just for that small extra part of the front clip.

Quick Reply: Detail Shop in Boston