Macan 2014-Current

Pano roof

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:20 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tejstar01
Apparently you are the only one that needs true track performance on the street out of an SUV!
You, sir, presume too much.

There are many luxury and sport vehicle buyers who still appreciate simplicity and purity. Foregoing the complexity, weight, and cost of the options that you think are so essential results in a more satisfying vehicle for us.

The great automotive engineer Colin Chapman was spot on when he asserted that perfection in design is usually achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more that can be removed.

While indeed there are relatively few SUV buyers who expect a spartan Alpha 4C like experience, Porsche knows very well that there are many buyers who prefer a less complicated vehicle. That's why next year you will see the lighter, lesser-appointed base Macan in the USA. It's already available and popular in the rest of the world. Even without all the bells and whistles, it will likely sell in vastly greater numbers than any other model, without Nav (which is already on your iPhone) or Pano roof (which is expensive and not desireable in all climates).
Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Our new GTS Macan was delivered yesterday. Today we watched the Blue Angels from the comfort of our car and watched them through the Pano head for the moon. Would not trade it for anything.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
You, sir, presume too much.

There are many luxury and sport vehicle buyers who still appreciate simplicity and purity. Foregoing the complexity, weight, and cost of the options that you think are so essential results in a more satisfying vehicle for us.

The great automotive engineer Colin Chapman was spot on when he asserted that perfection in design is usually achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more that can be removed.

While indeed there are relatively few SUV buyers who expect a spartan Alpha 4C like experience, Porsche knows very well that there are many buyers who prefer a less complicated vehicle. That's why next year you will see the lighter, lesser-appointed base Macan in the USA. It's already available and popular in the rest of the world. Even without all the bells and whistles, it will likely sell in vastly greater numbers than any other model, without Nav (which is already on your iPhone) or Pano roof (which is expensive and not desireable in all climates).
Rigghhhttt... Porsche knows there are many buyers reaching for the brand and by cutting base options and engine configurations they cut the price. It has nothing to do with it being less complicated and lighter.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Are people tracking Macans? Confused.

The weight of the pano roof will not make a difference in handling on the street.
Thank you. Imo, I'd have to be stupid to track my Macan Turbo. I'd go get a Cayman S or better if i I were a track addict.
But I'll tell u what: The handling and grip of the Macan Turbo are outstanding with the forged 21" wheels and summer tires. it grips like nobody would have guessed, even on wet pavement. Pushed really hard, it eventually reaches its limits and slides like what would be expected of any recent modern Porsche.
Of course my 981 Cayman S was much lighter and more agile, but the handling of the Macan Turbo is extremely impressive.
When introduced, the early production Macan Turbo driven by Walter Rorhl, held the unofficial world record at Nurburgring for the fastest lap of any production SUV. It is not a slouch!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tejstar01
Apparently you are the only one that needs true track performance on the street out of an SUV! As far as your example goes I guarantee you that the dealer deeply discounted that Macan with no pano roof and no Nav!! Just go ask any Porsche sales guy what they think about resale without both of those two main options...lol... Again its a SUV with better than average handling and probably one of the best handling SUV's on the market and with that being said NO one is going to care about the minuscule difference in the way the car handles on the street because of not having a pano roof, again it's arguably the best handling SUV with the pano roof included on the market today so Who cares! The only thing anyone is going to care about is when the time comes for you to sell that Macan with no pano roof and no Nav and I guarantee you again you will take a bath on having to deeply discount it in order to sell it. The market place you are defending is extremely limited for a SUV to begin with, is that market place 5%, 10% who knows but most buyers are absolutely going to want those options period whether that be today or 7-10 years from now when you try and sell it. Now the only way your argument makes sense is if you are leasing the vehicle new than yes I agree who cares order it the way you want you have a guaranteed residual and can turn it in and let the dealer take the bath afterwards trying to sell it.
1. I don't think I have mentioned track performance on the street. I've only pointed out that one can notice a difference in day to day driving in terms of body control. Ah I see, you are using hyperbole to make a point.

2. The car without Nav and Pano was sold at MSRP. I actually mentioned that this car was available on Macanforum and was contacted by the interested party who bought the vehicle. If you want contact information for confirmation let me know. But as I pointed out this was a new car purchase.

3. I agree it is a great handling SUV. But it factually handles better without the pano. Obviously some people won't care. But some do. Its a matter of preference. I'm not trying to disparage those who choose a pano roof or attacking their choice, just providing an alternative view.

4. This discussion is on the pano roof, I just used the no pano roof and no nav example as an illustration. I've stated that if you intend to resell your vehicle within a couple of years you might loose some value without those options. However, 3-5 years out and beyond those options will provide little added value to your resale. Options simply do not return value. Nav systems least of all given the pace of technology. 2014-2016 Macan models had outdated systems at launch and are now even more outdated since the complete overhaul of the PCM system in the 2017 models. 2014 models are now 1.5 years since launch and their systems are practically worthless in terms of resale.

5. As to the marketplace, the fact is that CUV's are the fastest growing segment of the market. There are a lot of choices out there. I'm confident that not opting a pano roof will not significantly affect resale 3-5 years out and beyond. You will be past a mid cycle refresh and close to a complete model overhaul at that point. Options don't count for much at that point and market large enough to accommodate vehicles that don't fit the standard options list, especially for Porsche.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 AM
P-Nuts
Racer

Default Pano Roof - Not for me

I have never liked sunroofs, for three reasons.

1, Noise and buffeting (newer designs are not as bad, but have ugly wind deflectors.)

2, Cuts down on headroom. I checked in the back of the Macan, and there is a good 2+ inches of difference in the back - which impacts the ability of 6' passenger being comfortable, even for short trips)

3, Extra weight in the roof is not a good thing for handling.

For these reasons, I am not speccing a pano roof on my Macan GTS.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:41 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

The question is to ask the dealers how many they have sold without pano. I think most know the answer. Also all non panos are customer ordered as the dealers will never order for stock something that might not sell. It is surprising this discussion continues as my guess from a handling standpoint 99.9% of us could not tell the difference. If you don't want it don't buy it but don't cry when you sell or trade.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by white6speed
The question is to ask the dealers how many they have sold without pano. I think most know the answer. Also all non panos are customer ordered as the dealers will never order for stock something that might not sell. It is surprising this discussion continues as my guess from a handling standpoint 99.9% of us could not tell the difference. If you don't want it don't buy it but don't cry when you sell or trade.
Dealers always spec the vehicle safely according to the numbers. A lot of Macan S/Turbo owners who custom ordered specced Air Suspension whereas dealers will rarely spec that option for stock. My understanding is that this issue is not being discussed as a popularity contest. I feel that 99.9% of people would be able to tell difference in handling in day to day driving between a pano car and a non pano car. Whether this matters to a particular person or not is a different question. No one is going to cry when it comes to resale on a non pano car a few years down the line. Its all in the head.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Personally I think most people shopping used Porsches could take or leave the pano roof. Nice to have, no big deal. I'd be more concerned that lacking navigation would make the car harder to sell.

Still, you only have to find one buyer. It's not like you're launching a business with a flawed model.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm "Old School" and I'm with roule. If I were to come across a "stripper" Macan GTS or a Cayman GT4, I would be sorely tempted....But then again, I'm all for simplicity... the essence of what makes a Porsche a Porsche. (Think about the early Carrera: No sunroof, door pulls instead of handles, roll-up windows, manual adjustment seats.) In addition to weight savings, another factor in that simplicity is eliminating something that might fail. As for NAV, there are plenty of phone apps that do the same thing for a whole lot less.

Quick Reply: Pano roof