Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan S vs SQ5 vs Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Indepth
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

We currently have a first gen SQ5 (real tailpipes!) and love it. Having recently become a Porsche owner I've been eyeing a first gen GTS for my wife as well. Likely a CPO or CarMax purchase, so there's some form of a warranty surrounding the vehicle.

The SQ5 with the "old" supercharged 3.0 motor is one of the most reliable engines Audi has produced in its recent past. With a tune and some pulleys you can end up with a 500HP+ SUV for far less than the cost to upgrade to a Macan. However you're still losing the Porsche steering and suspension feel in the SQ5.

The other thing that concerns me as a former B8 S4 owner (who was dual pulley and loved the power) is the DL501 DSG transmission that's been known to have a mechatronics unit go out. The other problem plaguing these transmissions is a gear selector sensor that daisy chains the entire trans. The mechatronics unit can be replaced and sourced in your garage but the gear selector sensor replacement requires a custom Audi transmission jig to "relearn" the gear selector positions. I say all this to bring up this point: the first gen SQ5 uses the ZF8 torque converter transmission with fairly snappy shifting for what it is. On the contrary, the DL501 DSG trans is really snappy and awesome - when it works. My past with the DL501 has me hesitant to pull the trigger on the GTS even if it has a warranty simply due to the hassle of repair times on something as significant as a transmission (assuming something would go wrong as a worst case scenario).
Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 921 Posts

Our experience with the SQ5 has been good. Aside from a few relatively minor repairs like PCV valve and water pump replacement, it has been trouble free. The issue now is that it has a few minor issues that are expensive to fix. The panoramic sunroof is rattling. The dealer quoted me $6,000+ to repair that, which isn’t going to happen. Additionally, we’re starting to have some issues with the infotainment system. The system keeps forgetting programmed radio stations, so we’re frequently having to re-program it. Additionally, the sound for Bluetooth calls only comes out of the lower front door speaker now, so hands free calling is really difficult. I’m afraid this is going to require replacement of the head unit, which won’t be cheap. Aside from that, it needs new rear shocks and a few other wear items. Part of me really doesn’t want to spend more money on this car, and spend it on a new car.

One quick question for this group: does anyone know if wheels are compatible between the Macan and the SQ5? I’ve got a set of 19” BBS wheels for the Audi for my winter tires. They fit over the huge SQ5 front brakes. I’d love to reuse them on the Macan for winter conditions if we end up going that way.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:28 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

My 2014 Q5 3.0 has a GIAC tune, intake, lowering springs, spacers and an Apple CarPlay kit. I've owned the car for four years now and I'm really happy with it. I'd love to upgrade to a Macan S/GTS or Tesla Model Y next year but being that its only worth ~$20k, I have a hard time justifying the upgrade when I only drive it 3-4k miles per year.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Indepth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
My 2014 Q5 3.0 has a GIAC tune, intake, lowering springs, spacers and an Apple CarPlay kit. I've owned the car for four years now and I'm really happy with it. I'd love to upgrade to a Macan S/GTS or Tesla Model Y next year but being that its only worth ~$20k, I have a hard time justifying the upgrade when I only drive it 3-4k miles per year.
Curious, what did you use for the CarPlay setup? Does it work well with no glitches?

Are you just tuned, or tuned with pulley upgrades? If you're after more power I'd highly suggest a dual pulley setup, whole different car with a crap ton of power.

The level of driving we do with our SQ5 is roughly 8K-10K per year but I agree on justifying the swap; it's difficult. We've been eyeing more room which led us to a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S but the mileage we add per year and operating one of those out of warranty led me back to a Lexus LX570 or Land Cruiser.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:31 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

If anyone cares for true unbiased feedback, below is my garage. 2018 GTS and 2018 SQ5. I’ve personally put over 10k miles on each of them. Ask away about anything specific, I’m happy to help.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:44 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Indepth
Curious, what did you use for the CarPlay setup? Does it work well with no glitches?

Are you just tuned, or tuned with pulley upgrades? If you're after more power I'd highly suggest a dual pulley setup, whole different car with a crap ton of power.

The level of driving we do with our SQ5 is roughly 8K-10K per year but I agree on justifying the swap; it's difficult. We've been eyeing more room which led us to a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S but the mileage we add per year and operating one of those out of warranty led me back to a Lexus LX570 or Land Cruiser.
I've installed a CarPlay unit in my GT4 and Q5, which transformed both cars and made them feel much more modern. Without CarPlay, I likely would have upgraded my Q5 by now, I'm using the RSNAV system and haven't had an issue yet, even with the new iOS, no issues. My Q5 has been tuned since the first month I bought it, I brought it to EMDauto in Orange County, did the tune + intake. I really wasn't chasing HP as its a daily driver and the transmission is awful with shift points, it really needs the PDK to be efficient.

https://www.emdauto.com/collections/...mance-software

https://rsnav.com/products/3g-mmi-3g...60d37e7d&_ss=r

Old 12-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Indepth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I've installed a CarPlay unit in my GT4 and Q5, which transformed both cars and made them feel much more modern. Without CarPlay, I likely would have upgraded my Q5 by now, I'm using the RSNAV system and haven't had an issue yet, even with the new iOS, no issues. My Q5 has been tuned since the first month I bought it, I brought it to EMDauto in Orange County, did the tune + intake. I really wasn't chasing HP as its a daily driver and the transmission is awful with shift points, it really needs the PDK to be efficient.

https://www.emdauto.com/collections/...mance-software

https://rsnav.com/products/3g-mmi-3g...60d37e7d&_ss=r
I figured you were referencing the RSNAV units. I've heard mixed reviews over on AudiZine. How'd you get one for the GT4? I don't see it listed on their site unless I'm missing it. Did you just use the same module as in the Q5?

If I tune the SQ5 I'll probably go all out. I'm not sure the Q5 and SQ5 trans tunes are the same, or if even the transmissions are the same.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:22 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Indepth
I figured you were referencing the RSNAV units. I've heard mixed reviews over on AudiZine. How'd you get one for the GT4? I don't see it listed on their site unless I'm missing it. Did you just use the same module as in the Q5?

If I tune the SQ5 I'll probably go all out. I'm not sure the Q5 and SQ5 trans tunes are the same, or if even the transmissions are the same.
I went with a CarPlay system that I was able to get while over in China for $200 USD but I acquired the unit from the source that many guys in this thread are using. I'm happy with the torque with my Q5 between 1-3k RPMs but I wouldn't boost it any more. The brakes are lacking and don't feel that strong compared to my GT4 with PCCB's. The tune helps a lot with drivability around down, when I'm making quick lane or speed changes, I lightly push the throttle and it goes, no need to downshift.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16289033

Quick Reply: Macan S vs SQ5 vs Cayenne