Macan 2014-Current

Macan = Rattle Trap?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Macan = Rattle Trap?!

Did European Delivery of my new Macan Turbo last week. Still in Germany. A few very annoying rattles in the car, and I can't find where they are coming from, or get them to stop. I have owned several Porsches over the years, and this is the first to ever have rattles!! It is so annoying. I won't keep a rattle trap.

Also, there is a motor noise that randomly starts and stops pretty indiscriminately. I have the air suspension option, so I'm assuming that it's probably a compressor. If I had known that my car would frequently be making this stupid buzzing sound all the time when I drive it, there's no way I would ever had chosen this option.

HATING my new $90,000 Macan Turbo!! To Porsche, I say: NOT IMPRESSED!

Anyone want to buy a black/black Turbo with 21" wheels? Not going to keep this POS.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a buyer for your car. These things are still pretty much in demand.

When mine was new, I also had an annoying rattle that took a little work to find. Turns out, a bolt was missing from a plastic panel underneath the car. Since the bolt was replaced, the car has been tight and quiet. I've also got the air suspension, and the only noise I hear are the compressors running for a second or so after I park the car and get out. Can you describe the suspension noise you're hearing? If it crops up on mine I'd like to be able to recognize it.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

The noise goes like this: click. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzz. click. Whole thing lasts about 4 or 5 seconds. Did it at least 7 or 8 times today during a 20 minute drive.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Recommendation from someone who, years ago, acted in haste: Chill out. In all probability, it's something simple and easily fixed. Our Turbo is solid as a rock and incredibly quiet. Don't let this minor aggrevation spoil your ownership.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Recommendation from someone who, years ago, acted in haste: Chill out. In all probability, it's something simple and easily fixed. Our Turbo is solid as a rock and incredibly quiet. Don't let this minor aggrevation spoil your ownership.
I have no choice - I'm scheduled to drive this vehicle the entire 2 months I'm here in Germany this summer. But yes, if I were home right now, I have no doubt that I'd drive it to the dealer, park it in their lot, give them the keys, and demand my money back.

I also didn't mention that, yesterday while driving on the autobahn, twice I had to brake hard at speed, and the vehicle pulled to the right and brakes made a loud, high-pitched whining sound that got louder and more pronounced the longer I had the brakes applied. And they faded, bad. Usually the brakes are one of the BEST parts of a Porsche. On this vehicle, they clearly are not.

Yes, right now I hate this vehicle. If I could return it right now, I would. But I can't.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM
1MORLAP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't have a Porsche dealer in Germany or even the factory technicians, since the car is still in process of delivery, take a look at it? None of what you describe has been a common on Macan forums. I was just remarking how this is the most rattle free car I owned in ages, much better than a 2014 Cayman. Everything is relative; but build quality, handling, brakes and sound of my Macan have been better than that of my Audi S4.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No issues here with rattles or noises on a Turbo with Air Suspension. Has 7,000 miles on it and has been trouble free (other than some of the early recall campaigns) - we do get the air suspension noise when you're outside the car after parking. I also rarely have music on in cars, so if there was a sound I would hear it.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, my turbo doesn't behave at all like yours. Take the thing back and insist they fix it. They should give you another turbo as a loaner because a new car shouldn't do what yours is doing. Particularly the braking issue.

It sucks that you've planned a couple months in Europe and the car is letting you down.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were you, I would drive back to Leipzig!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I am thinking a trip back to the boys who made it is called for. My turbo had a weird clunk noise every time I went around a corner. Figured out it was the seat belt tab bouncing back and fourth. Got that fixed and no bad noises. The brakes, though no were as good as a 911, should be much better than you described. I have been aggressive on them from just over 120 and no pull. I hope you are able to get the problems worked out.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

I think one of the rattles is indeed inside the seatbelt mechanism. Every time I accelerate, decelerate, or turn a corner, it rattles. Annoying as hell. As for the buzzing sound, yesterday it did it constantly, and today didn't do it at all. I HATE glitchy stuff like this! And as for the brakes, I have zero confidence in them for autobahn speed driving.

I am pushing Porsche to allow me to return the car. I don't want it.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wow! Interested to know how it turns out.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:21 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Pretty sure your situation is an anomoly. Have not heard a lot of complaints about this. Ours has 15K miles already and is dead quiet. Hopefully you'll get the car completely sorted out before punting.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is completely quiet. Pretty sure they'll fix it for you.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

my Macan is rattle free...

Since you are going back the factory i would think that is the best place to let somebody know

Quick Reply: Macan = Rattle Trap?!