Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Think we will see the 4cyl Macan in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

PCNA expressed a balancing act to attain growth but by not sacrificing brand exclusivity. Specifically by not bringing a 4 cylinder Macan here, not making the "baby Boxster", and CEO Meuller (sp?) stating that if Macan sales get too aggressive, they WILL consider pulling back supply. As well as executive quotes like "We don't need an entry level car, our CPO program is our entry level car". And "We don't need to be like BMW and Audi, chasing every niche" (something like that).

Porsche is in a rare place, attaining some volume yet prestige. Resulting in the best industry margins. They're not Mercedes or BMW. I don't think they need a 4 cylinder Crossover in the States. And even if they do bring it at some point, they don't intent to grow simply for the sake of growth. They know what made their margins and cachet grow to where they are, and it wasn't saturation or two many models. I think they're being tactful and careful in expansion. Best you can expect in this "nothing is sacred" day and age.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 AM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I don't think they need a 4 cylinder Crossover in the States.
Why do you suppose that Porsche feels it needs a 4 cylinder gasoline model in the UK and Europe? If fuel costs or economy standards are more stringent there, doesn't the diesel model already deliver better economy? Somebody at Porsche sees the need for a lighter, cheaper powertrain than the Macan's gas or diesel V-6 engines offer.

Let's not forget that the best 4-cylinder engines today deliver better performance by all measures than practicall all the larger heavier more expensive production V-8 engines offered 25 years ago. Lower cylinder count DOES NOT dictate unacceptable power limitations. What a properly designed 4-cylinder can do is reduce mass and cost. Audi and Mercedes already offer ~350 hp inline 4 cylinder engines today.

If exclusivity is the argument against european manufacturers offering their full range of products in the USA, I'm not a fan of that bias. Americans have been ignored on practically all the best european cars. It's got to stop.

Why is anyone doubting that Porsche can't work its magic on a 4 cylinder like they always did in the past? Done right, Porsche could deliver the goods that customers want without needing to reduce the price tag on a 4-cylinder model. Should Porsche offer a manual transmission and a 200kg+ diet in a few years, the Macan would continue to be a hit without going into the sales slump that always occurs to every new exciting model after the initial sales rush subsides.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by roule
Why do you suppose that Porsche feels it needs a 4 cylinder gasoline model in the UK and Europe? If fuel costs or economy standards are more stringent there, doesn't the diesel model already deliver better economy? Somebody at Porsche sees the need for a lighter, cheaper powertrain than the Macan's gas or diesel V-6 engines offer.

Let's not forget that the best 4-cylinder engines today deliver better performance by all measures than practicall all the larger heavier more expensive production V-8 engines offered 25 years ago. Lower cylinder count DOES NOT dictate unacceptable power limitations. What a properly designed 4-cylinder can do is reduce mass and cost. Audi and Mercedes already offer ~350 hp inline 4 cylinder engines today.

If exclusivity is the argument against european manufacturers offering their full range of products in the USA, I'm not a fan of that bias. Americans have been ignored on practically all the best european cars. It's got to stop.

Why is anyone doubting that Porsche can't work its magic on a 4 cylinder like they always did in the past? Done right, Porsche could deliver the goods that customers want without needing to reduce the price tag on a 4-cylinder model. Should Porsche offer a manual transmission and a 200kg+ diet in a few years, the Macan would continue to be a hit without going into the sales slump that always occurs to every new exciting model after the initial sales rush subsides.
Unless Porsche wants to go truly mass market, I don't think the Macan will see a significant sales drop any time. Just look at the Cayenne. Porsche manages supply well enough to where you won't see these cars just collecting dust on lots. This is what separates Porsche from the rest, and what makes them such smart business people (along with protecting thus raising the regard of their products).

Inline 4 cylinders are generic power plants. They account for just about every car. They all sound inherently alike (bad, imo), and they all inherently don't operate as smoothly as a good 6+ cylinder. Porsche WILL go 4 cylinder, as they are with the Boxster/Cayman's, but at least those are boxer 4's.

I think comparing M-B's offering to Porsche as an argument for a 4 cylinder in the States, is the entire point as to why not to do it. Porsche makes its margins on the concept that it's above the fray. Why should Porsche risk that? In EU and Asia, they have stricter regulations. In the U.S, Porsche is more of an "exotic" brand, and I think a 4 cylinder Macan wouldn't be a good move. If someone wants a 237 HP terrible sounding buzzy 4 banger, imo that's what M-B, BMW, and Audi are for.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we see them at some point. Especially as engines shrink to the point where eventually they'll disappear and we all go EV. Until then, to me, the whole point of clinging to an ICE in this day and age is for the visceral engagement, sound, etc. And a 4 cylinder inherently comes in last place there.

Also, I don't think Porsche need to lower the entry fee into their brandm (and I think Macan prices should be going up, if anything). That's another dangerous game that M-B and BMW have played, and it's been a disservice to the enthusiast bases who lifted the companies to where they are today. With that mind frame brings a fleet mentality, and less capability of ultimate focus. Porsche don't need to nor shouldn't chase the downmarket, be it in products or powertrains (and the Macan is extremely far from that, imo). Especially as part of VAG where VW and Audi already take care of that.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Funnily enough, I actually too am concerned with diluting the image. One thing people don't always realize is that we pay for that image (hence premium brands' margins), so if a brand dilutes itself, you get less for your money. I couldn't stand when MB "sold out" and started chasing cheaper segments with cheaply made cars, insane discounts and lease incentives, and just a "fleet car" mentality. It just wasn't the MB I fell in love with as a kid.
I'm actually missed my C class W204. The size, daily practicality, comfort vs agility have made me ordered the new W205 early last month. Should be taking delivery sometimes next week.
I guess I need something "ordinary" and the good thing about that, no more worries about where to park.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 AM
pyramid
Racer

The only logical reason I could thing of if Porsche wont bring 2.0 Macan to the US is due to its pricing. Will be too cheap there.
If it starts at usd125K like in my neck of the woods, they surely will.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:04 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
If someone wants a 237 HP terrible sounding buzzy 4 banger, imo that's what M-B, BMW, and Audi are for.
You need to drive a 2015 4 cylinder. They came out with balance shafts years ago which make for great engine smoothness combined with the latest computers. I just picked up a new 2015 A5 2.0T (6 speed manual BTW) a few weeks ago and it is an amazing motor which produces 220hp/258 torque and still delivers 30mpg. It sounds good too. If great engine sound is your thing I think you'll have to move to an 8 cylinder.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
You need to drive a 2015 4 cylinder. They came out with balance shafts years ago which make for great engine smoothness combined with the latest computers. I just picked up a new 2015 A5 2.0T (6 speed manual BTW) a few weeks ago and it is an amazing motor which produces 220hp/258 torque and still delivers 30mpg. It sounds good too. If great engine sound is your thing I think you'll have to move to an 8 cylinder.
I actually think the 6 cylinders produced by Porsche sound amazing. I like 8's in muscle cars, but after a while they all sound the same (leaving out some brilliant sounding ones like the 8,500 RPM Audi's and Maserati GT's, etc.).

I personally have never liked a 4 cylinder sound. Some are better than others, but there's an inherent nature that is just levels below the 6+ engines which I feel can exemplify a distinct and high quality sonic sensation.

A 4 cylinder in an A5 is more fitted and appropriate, imo (it felt just right in the S3 I drove as well). A 4 cylinder making 237 HP in a still fairly heavy Porsche Macan, imo does no service to the brand or its focus, outside of countries where anything bigger or more powerful isn't very realistic. I feel that for the Macan, the Diesel 6 is a much better option for those looking for better efficiency, okay with less straight line performance, and happy to take the "real world" tradeoffs of better torque band (of which a 4 cylinder goes the opposite way).
Old 06-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I would much rather they up the number of cylinders and use the straight 5 that was in the Audi TT RS. The PDK never made it into the Euro TT RS did it? All that performance at such a low price, talking about the TT RS, would have nullified several Porsche products. Still better than a GT4 by a long shot.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 06-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Boxer 2.0 turbo direct injection diesel. Is what the Macan needs.
Good torque.
Lower center of gravity.
And of course, a diet.
PORKY ≠ MPG
Old 08-10-2015, 12:42 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

A few random thoughts...

- I'm almost ready to accept a turbo 4cyl in a Boxter... maybe even a Cayman... but in the Macan, as heavy as it is, even after "loosing some weight"??? NFW. Talk about diluting the brand. Now how about a 3.8L V-8? Ooooohh... I'm liking the thought of that.
- if your concern is mileage and efficiency... why are you looking at any Porsche?
- a GLA will not tow my boat (or anything else for that matter)... but my Macan T will. And that’s only one of the many show stopper differences.
- “driver's car”... I just don't get this... it sounds like everyone wants to drive my old '63 ‘vette. Geeze that thing was a POS compared to my GT3. Oh, but it did have a clutch, no ABS, model T steering and suspension, etc. And you were definitely "involved" in driving it... mostly trying to stay alive. I've had plenty of "involving" cars over the years yet I still delight in the wonderment of my GT3 every time I drive it.
- have any of you "diluting the brand" commenters driven an MT on the track on a rainy day... and watched the Corvettes and such scramble as you run up their butts? Even in the dry, I worry the hell out of 'em. Show me a truly similar, non-Porsche that'll do that, and I'll eat it. BTW, was it the second car F.P. built that started the dilution?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 916Bob
A few random thoughts...

- I'm almost ready to accept a turbo 4cyl in a Boxter... maybe even a Cayman... but in the Macan, as heavy as it is, even after "loosing some weight"??? NFW. Talk about diluting the brand. Now how about a 3.8L V-8? Ooooohh... I'm liking the thought of that.
- if your concern is mileage and efficiency... why are you looking at any Porsche?
-
Well, does the Macan weigh that much more then the Q5 it is based on? I currently have a Q5 2.0T and it sprints just fine while returning great mileage. On top of that, I do my own maintenance and it is easy to work on. I'm assuming those characteristics would carry over to the Macan 4cyl. And why can't I have mileage/efficiency in my Porsche? I have two 968s and they have it all covered: Performance, handling, looks, uniqueness, ease of maintenance. Love em' I just picked up a 2015 Audi A5 s-line competition with a 2.0T and a 6 speed manual. Great car. One size doesn't necessarily fit all.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 675 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Well, does the Macan weigh that much more then the Q5 it is based on?
Audi lists the Q5 2.0 at 4090 lbs, the Macan S is 4112 lbs with the bigger engine.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 AM
GD996
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Audi lists the Q5 2.0 at 4090 lbs, the Macan S is 4112 lbs with the bigger engine.
Listed on Porsche UK website at 3902lbs where the 4cyl has been on sale since the model launch.

cheers
G
Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
They won't release a 4-cyl base Macan until demand goes down
It looks like you were wrong.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/09/f...acan-new-york/
Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

If I had to guess, I'd say Porsche is bringing the 4 cylinder Macan to the U.S. because of all the controversy surrounding diesel engines. Maybe they don't meet EPA emissions standards or maybe the market just doesn't trust diesel engines right now, so they scrapped the plan to bring the Macan diesel and subbed in the 4 banger.

Quick Reply: Think we will see the 4cyl Macan in the US?