Macan 2014-Current

Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:55 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
I'm sorry for what the OP is feeling but I highly doubt that a brand like Porsche would use very different and much cheaper components for their entry level model. The reality is that cars are priced based on what the market would respond to. Just because Macan's base price is $50K and a Panamera is $78K it doesn't mean that it costs Porsche an extra $28K to build a Panamera. Has quality diminished overall for most brands? Yes. It's not isolated.
I think it does, I owned MY10 PTT as my first Porsche.
But I absolutely don't think it costs Porsche pretty much $150 more than Macan to build 991TTS .

What would you say to a BMW X4 owner who think their car is better inside out than a Macan they didn't even own, but test drove it?
Owning one and been driving one (even though extensively) is two completely different matter when giving opinions. Purchase justification will always be "it".

Btw, I do own the base Porsche, but I wont say it handles better that a Cayenne as it been recently proven wrong by
, even tough I think it is.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Have mine since May. Only issue was alarm going off sometimes. Great dd
Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

And those are some of the reasons we still have our SQ5 after trying the Macan a few times. It's just not worth the upcharge to us. I've only had 15 or 16 prior Porsches though. I'm sure it will be a great seller for those new to the brand.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry for what the OP is feeling but I highly doubt that a brand like Porsche would use very different and much cheaper components for their entry level model. The reality is that cars are priced based on what the market would respond to. Just because Macan's base price is $50K and a Panamera is $78K it doesn't mean that it costs Porsche an extra $28K to build a Panamera. Has quality diminished overall for most brands? Yes. It's not isolated.
yes and no. the mast majority of cars are engineered to a price point.
the Panny isnt a good comp, as it was a completely new structure unlike the Macan and Cayenne.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps that last part was a over-generalization and yes I do understand that engineering has reached wonders in the last couple of decades. However, in the past you used to see more durable components but nowadays everything is plastic and it's not always because it's better or lighter, but because it's cheaper to make.
i agree w/ you here. Mercedes is a great example. recall the old S classes? Those things were engineered like tanks and the price was the price. More recently w/ all the competition theyre engineered working backwards from an MSRP.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i agree w/ you here. Mercedes is a great example. recall the old S classes? Those things were engineered like tanks and the price was the price. More recently w/ all the competition theyre engineered working backwards from an MSRP.
Old Mercedes were bomb proof - these days I won't own a car past the end of the warranty period. Things are just going to break.

I've not had any car purchased in the last 6 years that wasn't part of a recall campaign at some point. And my Porsches have actually been the worst...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Man were those the days for Mercedes! Just a few that come to mind are the W126 and W124 (E-Class), man were those things bullet proof tanks! Those were the days when they built the car first and then priced it. Unfortunately, now its the other way around. Man I miss the days of well built Mercs! However, the newest S-class does impress me in terms of initial quality. Could Mercedes be back to their old ways?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
And those are some of the reasons we still have our SQ5 after trying the Macan a few times. It's just not worth the upcharge to us. I've only had 15 or 16 prior Porsches though. I'm sure it will be a great seller for those new to the brand.
That's exactly the purpose of a base/entry level car and Porsche has succeeded.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:49 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyramid
That's exactly the purpose of a base/entry level car and Porsche has succeeded.
Yep. It's bringing me to the brand. Been a VW guy for a long, long time. I also know that underneath, a lot of the parts come from the same parts bin. Not a sports car person but I came thisclose to getting a Cayenne and could not justify it in the end. The Macan looks to be one for me.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Man were those the days for Mercedes! Just a few that come to mind are the W126 and W124 (E-Class), man were those things bullet proof tanks! Those were the days when they built the car first and then priced it. Unfortunately, now its the other way around. Man I miss the days of well built Mercs! However, the newest S-class does impress me in terms of initial quality. Could Mercedes be back to their old ways?
The new S launched with a bunch of initial quality issues, including interior workmanship in some cases (a running trend with new M-B's, namely the new C). M-B's quality literally plummeted this year in JD Powers due to the new S/C/CLA/GLA launches.

There are guys on M-B forums that went from the 2014 S to the 2015 and noted improvements to the actual quality of the car in many ways. IMO M-B's quality is looking worse more than better, if you look past the fluff. I credit that to over expansion, becoming less of a focused luxury brand and more volumed in lower market entries.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 PM
waveforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
waveforce, what did you replace the Macan with? Are you driving your Panamera for your daily commute now?
Yes, my daily driver is the 970TTS now.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The new S launched with a bunch of initial quality issues, including interior workmanship in some cases (a running trend with new M-B's, namely the new C). M-B's quality literally plummeted this year in JD Powers due to the new S/C/CLA/GLA launches.

There are guys on M-B forums that went from the 2014 S to the 2015 and noted improvements to the actual quality of the car in many ways. IMO M-B's quality is looking worse more than better, if you look past the fluff. I credit that to over expansion, becoming less of a focused luxury brand and more volumed in lower market entries.
Man... that's disappointing to hear! From a material quality stand point it appears to be leaps and bounds better than the old series (both S and C class). I use to make jokes about the "C" in C class standing for cheap interior but the new one is very impressive. Looks like they just need to practice on putting it together better. But lets be honest, even the new Macan had initial quality issues at launch. What car doesn't? I'm being optimistic about Mercedes and their new line up though.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 PM
waveforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irysfan
Can you tell me more about why you think the handling is bad? Below the Cayenne?
The handling is not bad -- the handling is the best thing about the Macan, hands down.

How much better is the Burm vs. Bose on the Panamera?
Night and Day. The Burmester on the Panamera is simply spectacular, the Bose is meh.

In the Macan the Bose and the Burmester are both meh and almost indistinguishable once configured and broken in.

It doesn't seem fair to say the Macan Turbo lacks grip when it's 60-0 stopping distance is just a few feet shy of the 911 Turbo S according to Motortrend and it's not exactly a sports car. What is rear brake float ? Did you experience that braking in a straight line or while cornering?
It's not about grip or braking distances, it's about pedal feel and braking dynamics. This is a Porsche after all.

As to the floating thing... Read these two links:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Number=1902127
http://www.whyhighend.com/floating-v...-calipers.html

Would full leather make a difference?
I had full leather. So no.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 PM
waveforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K-A
As for his other problems, they seem to be of extreme rarity, especially insulation and drivetrain. I'd guess it's just a very unlucky example. Early builds are a bit variable. Post September builds are so honed in and mended on the early annoyances that I think of them as new model years.
Nope, I have a friend who got a Macan S in December and he's complaining about all the same problems -- all without me ever telling him about mine.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by waveforce
Nope, I have a friend who got a Macan S in December and he's complaining about all the same problems -- all without me ever telling him about mine.
Those are unfortunate though definitely rare occurrences within the grand scheme. The "quality issues" threads went from full force up until about November, to relative ghost towns now, throughout Macan forums on the internet. Problems as a whole definitely mended largely for the most part. I'm sure other Porsche forums aren't free of issues, nor is any car from any manufacturer, really. My Macan S is quieter than my S Class was, or my E's or 5 Series, etc. for one thing.

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Man... that's disappointing to hear! From a material quality stand point it appears to be leaps and bounds better than the old series (both S and C class). I use to make jokes about the "C" in C class standing for cheap interior but the new one is very impressive. Looks like they just need to practice on putting it together better. But lets be honest, even the new Macan had initial quality issues at launch. What car doesn't? I'm being optimistic about Mercedes and their new line up though.
Yeah, true. There are just craftsmanship inconsistencies appearing on the new Benzes. The C's have a horrible rear panel misalignment that many people are reporting, some things in the S as well, etc. The CLA/GLA have had very rough quality launches (a big reason why JD Powers ratings plummeted as they did). I'm not a fan of M-B's direction in design and drive, but materially, indeed, they've made great strides with the newest cars.

Quick Reply: Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months