Macan 2014-Current

Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
Interestingly, my only doubt about the Macan is the tight second row. I go back and forth between the Macan and Cayenne. In the meantime, I'm loving my TDI Toaureg.
Ohh, I was under impression that you have bought the Macan.
It is a long wait for the next gen Cayenne then, might be 2 years from now.

To me (this is subjective), I actually prefer the more proper SUV body styled (better stance) and the more masculine interior design from the Cayenne. But the base Porsche fits the budget better as DD and it is 'pretty'.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:22 PM
pyramid
Racer

Originally Posted by waveforce
Thanks! And yes, my Panamera Turbo S makes me extremely happy.
This should be the reason why you so 'picky' on your Macan
Old 02-21-2015, 01:30 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyramid
Ohh, I was under impression that you have bought the Macan. It is a long wait for the next gen Cayenne then, might be 2 years from now. To me (this is subjective), I actually prefer the more proper SUV body styled (better stance) and the more masculine interior design from the Cayenne. But the base Porsche fits the budget better as DD and it is 'pretty'.
Waiting on the diesel Macan. I rarely have passengers in back row except in the summer when I use the bike rack on the hitch on the Touareg. Very familiar with the Cayenne. It's good.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:04 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

After reading this whole thread and reading the OP's first post and all the responses since, here's my takeaways:

1. OP clearly outlines in the first post that this was not written for CURRENT owners but people who may be interested in buying a Macan. Its funny how may of the current owners keep on defending their purchases and claim how the OP must have a defective model.

2. OP clearly seems to know the Porsche brand well and his point is that the Macan isn't up to stuff compared to his other ownership experiences with his other Porsches. Guys, if he owns all Turbos, he's going to have the best/most options on his cars (compared to base or S models). The man knows what he's talking about.

3. The Macan does seem to be the 'gateway' vehicle for Porsche - the vehicle that gets first time buyers into a dealership and to buy a Porsche.

4. This got to be one of the most idiotic comments I read in a while:

Originally Posted by Rolltide86

3. If you routinely have to drive through adverse smells, you might want to think about moving to a place where you don't have to do that. The car can't cure that. Glad I don't live where you do
I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I live in NJ but commute to NYC for work and take a tunnel. I always put on the A/C circ button on when I'm in the tunnel. I would be pissed if the tunnel air was coming in. To say don't blame the car but move someplace else is just an idiotic statement. Especially since the OP lives in SF which is a great city. Please note that I'm not calling the poster an idiot but just saying this was a very idiotic statement to make.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Thing is, in many respects it does sound like a defective model, which is not abnormal at all for early builds. Many also experienced members have not only not experienced the same issues, but feel like theirs are polar opposite.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
2. OP clearly seems to know the Porsche brand well and his point is that the Macan isn't up to stuff compared to his other ownership experiences with his other Porsches. Guys, if he owns all Turbos, he's going to have the best/most options on his cars (compared to base or S models). The man knows what he's talking about.

3. The Macan does seem to be the 'gateway' vehicle for Porsche - the vehicle that gets first time buyers into a dealership and to buy a Porsche.
I can't think of a single car manufacturer where their $70k model has the same fit and finish as a $150k model. My 991 GT3 has a pretty material difference in fit and finish to the 918 - doesn't mean I don't like the GT3 though...

I agree 100% with #3 here - but that's what I purchased the Macan expecting.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:20 AM
irysfan
Intermediate

It's not anybody's checklist because it is assumed that it is not an issue. Even for safety reasons -- there's a reason so many luxury cars turn on the recirc automatically when they sense carbon monoxide. In fact I can guarantee at some point there's going to be a class action lawsuit because of this issue, claiming a safety hazard in tunnels.
That's fair, there is a minimum or assumed bar for a vehicle in this price range. It sounds like Porsche dropped the ball in this case.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 AM
waveforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K-A
Thing is, in many respects it does sound like a defective model, which is not abnormal at all for early builds. Many also experienced members have not only not experienced the same issues, but feel like theirs are polar opposite.
Well, three different dealerships and Porsche of America disagree with you -- otherwise they would have either fixed the issues or allowed me to "lemonize" the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:37 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, three different dealerships and Porsche of America disagree with you -- otherwise they would have either fixed the issues or allowed me to "lemonize" the car.
They'll always give you the runaround. But the car clearly exhibits behavior nearly opposite from what the majority are experiencing. I'd wait until more new models become available to drive to get them to be able to complete that to prove it.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 AM
waveforce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K-A
They'll always give you the runaround. But the car clearly exhibits behavior nearly opposite from what the majority are experiencing. I'd wait until more new models become available to drive to get them to be able to complete that to prove it.
I'm a long time customer and I know everybody at these dealers (including the GMs and Shop Foremen) and nobody gave me the runaround -- they know that wouldn't fly with me. PCNA didn't give me the runaround either.

It'd actually be MUCH worse if this was indeed a problem with my specific vehicle and they were simply refusing to fix it; that would lose me as a customer altogether. Any brand that does that would lose my business -- only a complete idiot would buy a car from a company that refuses to fix issues specific to their build if they show up. That's why there's a Lemon Law.

All these issues were verified with 4 different Macans *besides* mine, including a November build.

If you brought your Macan to me and I ran it through my daily commute with you in the passenger seat you'd see all the issues too.

The difference is not the specific car, it's the course and the observer; if you can't see a problem, it doesn't exist, right?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Buckfever
Racer

I thought this review was useful and for my purposes constructive regarding my purchase. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:59 AM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
And those are some of the reasons we still have our SQ5 after trying the Macan a few times. It's just not worth the upcharge to us. I've only had 15 or 16 prior Porsches though. I'm sure it will be a great seller for those new to the brand.
We were considering the Macan Turbo and decided the SQ5 worked better for us. But ended up ordering an RS5 for my winter car. 450 na hp and much more fun to drive on twisty mountain roads around Aspen. Got Mich Pilot SS all weather radials and could not be happier. $89k fully loaded.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I can't think of a single car manufacturer where their $70k model has the same fit and finish as a $150k model. My 991 GT3 has a pretty material difference in fit and finish to the 918 - doesn't mean I don't like the GT3 though...

I agree 100% with #3 here - but that's what I purchased the Macan expecting.
To me the proper comparison is between Macan/turbo vs Q5/SQ5. Is the Pcar worth the extra money? The answer will vary from owner to owner. I like the Audis better. To each their own.

To me an SUV is not really a performance car. Sure I want to be able to pass someone when the situation allows. Taking an SUV for a pure pleasure drive on twisty mountain roads is not my cup of tea.

SUVs are for hauling extra people and cargo comfortably as well as handle snow. Not remotely interested as a track car.

If we want to go four wheeling we rent an open top Jeep at the airport

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-01-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
To me the proper comparison is between Macan/turbo vs Q5/SQ5. Is the Pcar worth the extra money? The answer will vary from owner to owner. I like the Audis better. To each their own.
To each their own is right. Honestly, I don't think the average Joe will know the difference between a Q5 base vs an SQ5. My neighbor has a Q5 base.

Sometimes people make choices because they want something different. I see 2-3 Q5s every day and a Macan once a month. There are a lot of black and white Prius' out there - my commuter included - but who cares or ever notices them. Car choices have a personal element like clothes or shoes. It's not only utility. After all, a plastic bag would probably protect the body from the elements of the environment but who wears plastic bags?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a long time customer and I know everybody at these dealers (including the GMs and Shop Foremen) and nobody gave me the runaround -- they know that wouldn't fly with me. PCNA didn't give me the runaround either.

It'd actually be MUCH worse if this was indeed a problem with my specific vehicle and they were simply refusing to fix it; that would lose me as a customer altogether. Any brand that does that would lose my business -- only a complete idiot would buy a car from a company that refuses to fix issues specific to their build if they show up. That's why there's a Lemon Law.

All these issues were verified with 4 different Macans *besides* mine, including a November build.

If you brought your Macan to me and I ran it through my daily commute with you in the passenger seat you'd see all the issues too.

The difference is not the specific car, it's the course and the observer; if you can't see a problem, it doesn't exist, right?
The Macan is built to a certain price point (more so than any other Porsche), and Porsche had to make a bunch of compromises. In my opinion, the Turbo is over priced (most are over $80,000), and the Cayenne S with 20 HP more (and 400 lbs more) becomes a much better value. At $80,000+, most buyers have very high expectations, including you, and have a right to those high expectations.

The sweet spot is a low option Macan S priced around $55,000 to $57,000. At that price, I can live with the compromises, especially for a daily driver SUV used for carpool duty.

Thanks for the write-up. It was fair, and balanced.

Quick Reply: Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months