Macan 2014-Current

Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
You discussed AS/PASM a whole lot more than your long torso .
Well, I do need a proper suspension to absorb harshness at those heights as well. What's funny is how the small portion of Macan dissenters quickly forget how lambasted nearly all new Porsche entries have been.

The Cayenne is still used as a pun or metaphor by many of those who to try and bring the Macan down (especially on other forums). People were out with pitchforks initially against those.

The Panamera gets bashed on many forums as well, mostly for its polarizing looks.

The Macan has been a peach in comparison. The reception had been arguably more positive than any of its 4 door siblings by a great margin, even considering its lower base price point (though Cayenne's were always cheaper cars to start until this year). Even the Boxster and Cayman were made fun of as "not proper Porsche's".... Oh, they still are in some circles, lol.

I stand firm on the Macan being the closest to a "4 door 911" that Porsche has yet released. Call them what you will for it, but that's how they advertise it as well, and the nearly unanimously massive praise reviews and interest I've gauged on other forums echo this. If you think that means that it competes with a 911 then that's your issue with comprehension and I say to put the black/white goggles down. If it serves a purpose and is engineered to a specification, it's good with me.

Hate the Macan or praise it, it clearly stirs some emotions. Even by those listening to those who continuously emotively praise it.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayman GTS it's like a Macan, but it's a sports car.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM
pyramid
Racer

Originally Posted by Buckfever
[Sportcastic+ Mode On]
No No No, that MTT must have not been equipped with AS, look at that body rolls.
AS/PASM corners FLAT like '4 doors 911' !!!
That car must only had PDCC that being marketed as Porsche Damping Controlled Comfort.
[Sportcastic+ Mode Off]

*just for laughs*
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
Amen.

Yes, you picked the best SUV that drives like a sports car ever. Yes, you're the supreme champion Macan track driver that can take on other sport cars. Yes, no SUV can compare to your Macan.

Seriously, give it a rest already.
His reference point is Mercedes E350 "Sport". In that regard, he is correct
Old 03-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow guys! 8 pages? seriously?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:48 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes Yes Yes!!

At the end, the moderator said the Macan TT was 2 sec slower then the Cayenne TT on the same track. Hmmm, and I was told the Macan TT was the "4-door 911"?

Last edited by wardrive; 03-04-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by wardrive
Yes Yes Yes!! At the end, the moderator said the Macan TT was 2 sec slower then the Cayenne TT on the same track. Hmmm, and I was told the Macan TT was the "4-door 911"?
Wow, lap times mean sports car? Maybe it's the almost 200 HP advantage. The Macan feels sportier than a 5K lb, bigger, taller Cayenne, regardless. An M5 puts down better lap times than plenty of previous, less HP 911's, I guess it's more of a sports car? Also funny how nobody ever has anything to say about a Macan S recorded to stay pretty close to a 911 S' tail on camera. Which coincides with several owners track testimonials where their superior driving skills rendered a Macan capable enough to make some guys in cars it has no business next to, go home pretty unhappy.

And yes, the Cayman is like a Macan, but a sports car. That's my entire point, lol. Only ones here even discussing the Macan as comparable to a 911/Cayman to a track are those of you purposely taking what I (and Porsche, and countless reviewers and owners) am saying out of context.

My reference point is nearly every car out there. I drive cars practically as self imposed side job at this point. And the MB's were before the Bimmer anyways. Having cars doesn't make you an objective source, btw, so some of you can get off the high horse. If anything it introduces more bias and subjectivity , i.e if you pay a ton more for a TT Panny, for example,....
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, lap times mean sports car? Maybe it's the almost 200 HP advantage. The Macan feels sportier than a 5K lb, bigger, taller Cayenne, regardless. An M5 puts down better lap times than plenty of previous, less HP 911's, I guess it's more of a sports car? Also funny how nobody ever has anything to say about a Macan S recorded to stay pretty close to a 911 S' tail on camera. Which coincides with several owners track testimonials where their superior driving skills rendered a Macan capable enough to make some guys in cars it has no business next to, go home pretty unhappy.

And yes, the Cayman is like a Macan, but a sports car. That's my entire point, lol. Only ones here even discussing the Macan as comparable to a 911/Cayman to a track are those of you purposely taking what I (and Porsche, and countless reviewers and owners) am saying out of context.

My reference point is nearly every car out there. I drive cars practically as self imposed side job at this point. And the MB's were before the Bimmer anyways. Having cars doesn't make you an objective source, btw, so some of you can get off the high horse. If anything it introduces more bias and subjectivity , i.e if you pay a ton more for a TT Panny, for example,....
KA just a little fun , perhaps at your expense, but mostly I was just amusing myself. For the record I do find your argument regarding the AS compelling. But you had me at hello.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

KA just a little fun , perhaps at your expense, but mostly I was just amusing myself. For the record I do find your argument regarding the AS compelling. But you had me at hello.
Lol. It's always in fun.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

KA, haven't followed this whole ongoing love affair of yours. Is this your first nice automobile?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dgags
KA, haven't followed this whole ongoing love affair of yours. Is this your first nice automobile?
No, that would be my '88 Firebird.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 AM
K-A
Drifting

Just wanting to add this since the SQ5 came up earlier....

It pulled an .88 G lateral in the same test where a heavy via loaded Macan pulled a .92 G. Numbers only tell half the story (and often it doesn't even translate to real world feel) but .92 is impressive for a vehicle that has all the inherent otherwise attributes and nearing "SUV" like height that usually make getting G's like that difficult. Most sport sedans don't even get near that, including the best handling (non M) 3 Series (328i M Sport).

And that's just the launch models. Once they price up the GTS and/or Turbo S models, I'm sure they'll find stickier rubber and ways to get eek it upwards, which would be even more staggering for a car of this nature.

As well, looking at an SQ5 torque curve, it looks like a half circle or humpback, not a flat line on it. The Macan's is literally board flat. That also explains a difference between the two in terms of driving dynamics.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
No, that would be my '88 Firebird.
That explains a lot. Really.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dgags
That explains a lot. Really.
All it explains is how to unveil someones broken sarcasm detector.

.... It was actually my '87 Bronco.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 AM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
In my hands it was not only a joy but managed to shock a GTR driver (who also drove it). And this was a car being abused all day, not a mere 3 laps.
Becareful. Bringing in supportive opinions of GTR drivers could be the greatest undoing of all the good things you are saying about the Macan.

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I am no Patrick Long, but the Macan can barely handle three laps in my hands, and that is with the first lap being a warm-up lap (brakes). There is also simply no joy in driving it on the track. As for the people here who think a high center of gravity, 4200 lbs SUV is a track car, please post your opinion on the GT3 forum. They are in need of a good laugh.
Macan will beat the GT3 any day on the track if you go off track a lot, or drive off track on the track

Quick Reply: Long term Macan "Test Drive" -- or, why I sold my Macan Turbo after 6 months