Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Air Suspension: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

If you will use it to tow, AS is going to be a big help. I don't tow, but really like the ride on my Cayenne GTS with AS. I can't say anything about it on the Macan tho.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kkapoor
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint on this issue and, as I have said previously, AS is a great option. The cost is the overall cost required to get AS. It's too bad you have to spend $3k to get it.

I just don't like people dispelling false information or sensationalizing negative consequences of alternative options when there aren't any. You can keep on repeating the same thing but you should respect that not everyone likes their vehicles to drive the same way. I tested the AS out on both the Cayenne and the Macan and found it numb and 'floaty'. Some people prefer a stiffer more connected ride.

All lowering springs don't need matching shocks. The 'OE springs' built by H&R (one of Porsche's OEM suppliers) will allow you to lower your vehicle up to 1" without a new set of shocks and maintain close to OEM ride quality while improving vehicle dynamics. You can step up to 'Sport Springs' for up to a 1.8" drop without new shocks (an alignment is recommended). If you want to go lower then that you will need new shocks. H&R springs also come with matching coilover springs for existing shocks to maintain proper balance. A set of OE springs designed for Cayenne currently run around $320 + labour. I think it's a great way to improve the stance and dynamics of a vehicle without any compromises in driving feel or reliability at a fraction of the cost of AS.
Have you actually done the modification you are prescribing and speaking authoritatively about, on a Porsche SUV?

I have. With H&R. Professionally installed, including alignment, by a well regarded Porsche shop.

I've had my Cayenne Diesel lowered on H&R for over 14k miles, for precisely the aesthetic reasons people are discussing here and it is my biggest regret. The ride is not subjectively stiffer and worse, it absolutely is. That experience is exactly why I am strongly considering AS for Macan to the point that I walked away from an available car yesterday because the gap was too much for my tastes and I knew I wouldn't be able to fix without making compromises that I don't want this time around.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak

Have you actually done the modification you are prescribing and speaking authoritatively about, on a Porsche SUV?

I have. With H&R. Professionally installed, including alignment, by a well regarded Porsche shop.

I've had my Cayenne Diesel lowered on H&R for over 14k miles, for precisely the aesthetic reasons people are discussing here and it is my biggest regret. The ride is not subjectively stiffer and worse, it absolutely is. That experience is exactly why I am strongly considering AS for Macan to the point that I walked away from an available car yesterday because the gap was too much for my tastes and I knew I wouldn't be able to fix without making compromises that I don't want this time around.
This echoes my experiences (with spring lowered cars) and feelings as well.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension: Worth it?