Macan 2014-Current

Air Suspension: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:38 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Suspension: Worth it?

Finishing up my Turbo config this afternoon, and the only remaining decision is whether to op for the Air Suspension.... Any opinions from those with first-hand experience? Does it ride any better? Do you notice a difference with the extra weight it adds? Or the lower center of gravity?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

If going turbo, id go with air suspension.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my experience with my prior 958 GTS with Air suspension and my current Macan Turbo IMO AS is more a utility option than a performance option. It is particularly useful for changing road and weather conditions, particularly involving pooling water and snow. Otherwise its more cosmetic and appealing to those who want a bit lower look and image, but its an expensive way to do that. In the Macan its a bit softer than the PASM/steel combination according to my sales manager and an opinion I share comparing the Macan version of AS to that in the Cayenne GTS which had a more buttoned down ride feel. Also the GTS had 5 height levels instead of 3 in the Macan providing more flexibility. If you have the utility uses then its a good box to check otherwise drive Macans with and without (but preferably both with PASM) and see what you think versus what other opinions may be.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaPors
Based on my experience with my prior 958 GTS with Air suspension and my current Macan Turbo IMO AS is more a utility option than a performance option. It is particularly useful for changing road and weather conditions, particularly involving pooling water and snow. Otherwise its more cosmetic and appealing to those who want a bit lower look and image, but its an expensive way to do that. In the Macan its a bit softer than the PASM/steel combination according to my sales manager and an opinion I share comparing the Macan version of AS to that in the Cayenne GTS which had a more buttoned down ride feel. Also the GTS had 5 height levels instead of 3 in the Macan providing more flexibility. If you have the utility uses then its a good box to check otherwise drive Macans with and without (but preferably both with PASM) and see what you think versus what other opinions may be.
This is why I chose PASM but no AS. Also, wanting to keep the car for the long run, I expect less issues with traditional suspension vs. AS
Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

After having air suspension on my LR3 I will never buy another car with it that I plan to keep out of warranty. One of the reason why I am looking at getting a Macan is that I can buy it with out AS.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
After having air suspension on my LR3 I will never buy another car with it that I plan to keep out of warranty. One of the reason why I am looking at getting a Macan is that I can buy it with out AS.
Why do you dislike the air suspension so much?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Why do you dislike the air suspension so much?
He's got a Land Rover. They're not exactly the poster children for bulletproof reliability. With an '06, he's probably eating repair costs to keep that truck rolling and I'll bet they're really hurting his wallet.

Keep in mind that the Macan system is a completely different design from the LR system, and from a completely different supplier. I don't know I'd swear off the idea of air suspensions because one brand's suck, though. That would be like swearing off gasoline powered cars because once you had a Dodge that really sucked.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

I agree it's more or a utility than performance option. I like riding lower day to day but when weather changes I'll get more clearance and view point.

I can't say the performance between high and low is that noticeable. Maybe a little.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from an almost 1,000 mile weekend road trip. Drove over roads of widely varying conditions, and the AS did a great job of dealing with the rougher surfaces. Also had to get creative driving in a small college town during a football game - put it in off road and was able to navigate some pretty creative shortcuts :-). I like having it.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

For the superiority in comfort (car simply feels more expensive via the refinement), adjustability, and handling, and leveling through turns, it's already very compelling.

Lowering the steel suspension alone properly will cost over a thousand and will ride rough and not have the balance of OEM Porsche suspension design. And closing that ungainly massive wheel gap of the steel suspension makes AS over just PASM a must right there for me.

Mix all that together, and it's a bargain, IMO.

You get more luxury, a much better look, better sportiness (even if slight, it provides even more performance capabilities than just PASM), and Porsche even says 5% better mpg due the the lower cog. Lots of other benefits to lowering the cog of an SUV, such as added rollover prevention, aerodynamics, etc.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 560 Posts

Had AS on a 1970 MB 6.3 Very good. There was a high setting where you could jack the car up enough to change a tire. Cost me a bundle once to fix the leaks, but I'm sure Porsche's system is up to date and good.

I would get it.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
Porsche even says 5% better mpg due the the lower cog.
I haven't been able to find reference to this in my owner's manual or other Porsche materials that were provided at the time of purchase of the Macan Turbo with Air Suspension in May nor that came with my prior "13 Cayenne GTS with AS nor in my general reading. I have only so far seen it the number of times you have mentioned this in forums like this.

Can you please provide a link or citation to where Porsche is making this representation? Would be great to see what the height configuration Porsche recommends to achieve this kind of mileage gain. Presumably they factor in the additional weight of the AS system in calculating the resulting mileage.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I haven't been able to find reference to this in my owner's manual or other Porsche materials that were provided at the time of purchase of the Macan Turbo with Air Suspension in May nor that came with my prior "13 Cayenne GTS with AS nor in my general reading. I have only so far seen it the number of times you have mentioned this in forums like this.

Can you please provide a link or citation to where Porsche is making this representation? Would be great to see what the height configuration Porsche recommends to achieve this kind of mileage gain. Presumably they factor in the additional weight of the AS system in calculating the resulting mileage.
Here's one link. Looks like it was Trelleborg who made the statement (designer of the suspension) actually. The statement they're referring to where Trelleborg goes more in depth is the article I'm originally referring to, I'll look for that one as well when I can.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...emplate=mobile
Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a citation and not sure about 5% but it does make sense to get better mpg with a lowered car (1" total in low mode), less drag.

Myself, after almost 6,000 miles including 1200 miles road trip, I would get it again, absolutely.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
Here's one link. Looks like it was Trelleborg who made the statement (designer of the suspension) actually. http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...emplate=mobile
Thanks, that's a helpful context. Parts suppliers in most industries issue "news releases" to media outlets that they hope will be turned into a news blurb for purposes of marketing their parts.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension: Worth it?