Macan 2014-Current

Macan - Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Macan - Trailer Hitch

I know many things CANNOT be added after delivery like the roof rails, but what about things like the trailer hitch?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Never mind on the trailer hitch - i found it can be added later but at 4X the cost of speccing it now...so I guess I'll do so.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After getting the trailer hitch you'll then want/need of course the Porsche cover for the hitch! Nice crest. What the heck, it's only money!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
I know many things CANNOT be added after delivery like the roof rails, but what about things like the trailer hitch?
The correct answer depends on your planned use for the trailer hitch. If you're simply planning to install a bike rack, then save your money. There are many reputable aftermarket companies that will provide the hardware for a trailer hitches.

If, however, you intend to actually tow a trailer, then order the factory hitch, because it will include all the wiring you must have. You don't want to have some aftermarket shop attempting to retrofit electrical connections, do you?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing beats an integrated hitch. Check the box.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (03-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
+1
Cheaper in the long run.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveFromMN:
Leadfoot_mf (04-20-2020), MrMarco (03-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Agreed. I only use mine for a 5-bike rack. It's a low-cost option.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Its a low cost option...but than again there are many low cost options and they all add up!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Its a low cost option...but than again there are many low cost options and they all add up!
I feel you. You got to draw the line somewhere. And the more new options they offer the harder it gets. I think the hitch is an option that actually adds value, unlike most of the cosmetic options I'll add.
Leadfoot_mf (04-20-2020)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:29 AM
sologt3
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Wrong thread

Last edited by sologt3; 03-31-2022 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:10 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
The correct answer depends on your planned use for the trailer hitch. If you're simply planning to install a bike rack, then save your money. There are many reputable aftermarket companies that will provide the hardware for a trailer hitches...
Not exactly correct. Sure any trailer shop can get some hardware right here on the interwebs, drill some holes, cut your valance with a hacksaw and bolt some chinese made POS on the back of your $60,000 vehicle. Heck I had one shop tell me to weld a receiver onto the frame (hahaha, nope idiot.) Or you could do it correctly and add the factory hitch AND VALANCE so the next owner can legit haul pavers in a U-Haul trailer.
The P-system replaces the entire rear alloy impact frame with a solid pure steel beam with the hitch hardware welded in place from the EU and there's a spec valance to match (as well as trailer light hardware/wires.)
You need a substantially strong receiver to handle not just the weight the bikes and hitch mount rack itself but the stresses brought on by the washboard road up to the trail.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:35 PM
banksc01
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Not exactly correct. Sure any trailer shop can get some hardware right here on the interwebs, drill some holes, cut your valance with a hacksaw and bolt some chinese made POS on the back of your $60,000 vehicle. Heck I had one shop tell me to weld a receiver onto the frame (hahaha, nope idiot.) Or you could do it correctly and add the factory hitch AND VALANCE so the next owner can legit haul pavers in a U-Haul trailer.
The P-system replaces the entire rear alloy impact frame with a solid pure steel beam with the hitch hardware welded in place from the EU and there's a spec valance to match (as well as trailer light hardware/wires.)
You need a substantially strong receiver to handle not just the weight the bikes and hitch mount rack itself but the stresses brought on by the washboard road up to the trail.
Yes, it is correct, there are many reputable companies that do that (and likely some that aren't). What are you trying to accomplish with this post?
Old 03-31-2022, 03:14 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Most of the aftermarket hitches also replace the aluminum bumper beam with a "solid pure steel beam with hitch hardware welded in place"....and they cost about $186. Most require no drilling, and just bolt on using existing holes in the frame. None require any welding. For a true no-show hitch (when not in use), the Stealth Hitch (about $640) is a high quality solution. I just bought the Stealth Hitch to install on my Audi SQ5.

2019 Porsche Macan Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite (etrailer.com)

2019 Porsche Macan Trailer Hitch - Stealth Hitches (etrailer.com)

Last edited by VAGfan; 03-31-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Jay Wellwood (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:10 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Another shameless plug for the Stealth Hitch option. Great product, well engineered and truly stealthy appearance.

KM20Turbo (04-17-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 06:46 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
Most of the aftermarket hitches also replace the aluminum bumper beam with a "solid pure steel beam with hitch hardware welded in place"....and they cost about $186. Most require no drilling, and just bolt on using existing holes in the frame. None require any welding. For a true no-show hitch (when not in use), the Stealth Hitch (about $640) is a high quality solution. I just bought the Stealth Hitch to install on my Audi SQ5.

2019 Porsche Macan Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite (etrailer.com)

2019 Porsche Macan Trailer Hitch - Stealth Hitches (etrailer.com)
I was referring to the curt retrofit that is offered by Flat6 (for example.) These ^ also require you to R&R the entire assembly. You've got to spend hours of labor, take the entire backside of the car off. If OP is buying it new why would they then go through all the trouble of removing what rolled off the line for something that could have been installed in GERMANY!!! Then you still need to add the wiring harness and valance?!?!? Makes more sense to check the box and get the hitch from Porsche.

Quick Reply: Macan - Trailer Hitch