must have options on a macan s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default must have options on a macan s?

Thoughts?

Test drove a stripped version this weekend and liked it. Navigation for sure but not sure about Ptv, sport chrono, or air suspension. Conflicted about blind spot assist but the car does have a blind spot.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fan of the Lane change assist.

I shoulder check every lane change, but have seen the LCA light go on, looked over my shoulder, took a closer look at my mirror and there was a motorcycle doing almost double the speed limit coming up on my left corner.

I was impressed by the systems ability to calculate the relative velocity of the oncoming vehicle and alert me there might be a threat. Reminded me of my days in the Air Force
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Anything else. Premium package plus seems like a deal and has most of what I want...and a few things I didn't. But cheaper then ala carte
Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 590 Posts

Look at my build that I just placed this morning (thread below). Also, check out the Macan Forum (not this one)...lots of info there.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

depends on what you intend to use your Macan for........
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20s, AS, PTV+.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

adaptive heated vent seats
remember, it's still an suv not a sports car. as they say no amount of sugar will turn poop into ice cream.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Lane Change Assist, PASM, park assist, auto dimming mirrors. Pick a wheel style, they all work fine.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
adaptive heated vent seats
remember, it's still an suv not a sports car. as they say no amount of sugar will turn poop into ice cream.
That's true, but it is heavy so why not help it a bit for a few K?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There are absolutely no "must have" options on the Macan. It is an immensely capable vehicle out of the box.

Moreover, while Porsche continues to advertise the Macan as a sports car, selecting practically any of the options only takes the vehicle further away from that ideal, further away from Porsche's roots, and much more into the overweight luxury realm that sadly represents greater profits. We can only hope that Porsche will offer a future stripped down Macan that offers a 300kg diet with no loss in off-road ability: a modern 959.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by roule
There are absolutely no "must have" options on the Macan. It is an immensely capable vehicle out of the box.

Moreover, while Porsche continues to advertise the Macan as a sports car, selecting practically any of the options only takes the vehicle further away from that ideal, further away from Porsche's roots, and much more into the overweight luxury realm that sadly represents greater profits. We can only hope that Porsche will offer a future stripped down Macan that offers a 300kg diet with no loss in off-road ability: a modern 959.
I have to say that I've read this a few times and it does capture a feeling, romantic, appealing but at the same time something I don't suspect will come to pass.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Porsche ever offers a stripped down version, it will carry a VW badge.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Engine stickers....

My Macan has been stuck at the port for 3 weeks waiting for Stickers...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
If Porsche ever offers a stripped down version, it will carry a VW badge.
.. or a GTS badge. or a "Club Sport" badge. or a "GT#" badge.

I don't believe that true sports cars are what VW does. VW will likely never offer a Paris-Dakar capable machine. My point is that it is surprising to see Porsche and Audi compete head to head. Audi makes superb touring cars, and the SQ5 already addresses the market that Porsche seems to want to enter here. Why couldn't Porsche keep the weight and complexity lower with the Macan? How about if the Macan was a 3-door? I'm elated that today Porsche offers many different vehicle configurations, but they are getting quite heavy and laden with crap that some of us sports enthusiasts simply don't want.

Here's another example: Porsche intentionally kept the Cayman underpowered so that the 911 could retain its place in the market. But the latest 911 jumped in price more than in performance. Let's face it, the new Corvette and the Nissan GTR can keep up by most dynamic measures. Why is the Porsche so expensive and now no longer the clear champion on the track? Because Porsche added too much luxury crap to it. Instead of bloating out the 911 into a luxury barge, Porsche would do better to reintroduce the 928 on a shortened Panamera chassis and add the all the luxury items that Bentley owners demand. The race with Mercedes and BMW to build the fattest land barge has to end.

Imagine how spectacular the Macan Turbo could be with less electronic crap and a significant loss in weight. Perhaps the plan is to reserve that for the upcoming Lamborghini Urus, but reality tells us that Lamborghini doesn't do lightweight vehicles either. What a shame.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was semi-joking. For example, the Touareg would not exist if it weren't for the Cayenne. Very similar vehicles and share a lot of parts. A lot. Of course, the Cayenne is tuned differently, has a sportier suspension and the interiors are night and day apart.

VW is targeting a difference buyer so to me a stripped down Macan would have a VW badge. Can't see Porsche doing that these days.

Wasn't the Touareg in the Paris-Dakar rally?

Quick Reply: must have options on a macan s?