Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Does pulling both PDK paddles put the Macan in netural?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if is exactly the same feature as I have not driven a 991 gt3... is discussed in some detail on this 991 thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8147...e-neutral.html
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

I'll try in the Macan tomorrow.. have had a few beers so don't want to risk driving this eve.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo doesn't either. My Cayman S does though. Donuts?! Lol!
Old 06-28-2014, 04:29 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Agreed Macan pdk won't do this.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcx
I'll try it when I get home in the Macan. I thought my 991 c2s didn't go into neutral when I first tried, but you have to pull both paddles and quickly release both, just a quick flip of both together. I wasn't doing it right at first.
are you able to rev the throttle with the two paddles pulled in and then release them at full throttle resulting in the ability to do a burnout or donut? Or will the car just sit in neutral?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
are you able to rev the throttle with the two paddles pulled in and then release them at full throttle resulting in the ability to do a burnout or donut? Or will the car just sit in neutral?
On my Cayman, you pull both paddles in and release, the transmission shifts to neutral. You can blip the throttle, but you need to hit a paddle to put it back in gear. Sounds like the GT3, you pull the paddles and for as long as you hold both the transmission stays in neutral until they they released. The GT3 also doesn't have a kick down switch on the throttle pedal, which is a nice difference.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
On my 2013 991 C4S, you pull back both paddles and quickly release. Car stays in neutral until you re-engage by pulling one paddle or the other, PDK will select appropriate gear at that time.

Haven't been able to drive wife's Macan S to see if it has the same feature.

GT3 program director Andreas Preuninger:On the new dual-clutch PDK gearbox…

'I’ve being doing this job for 12 years, I made the first GT3, and everybody knows I’m a very puristic driver. I want the car to be analogue, I want maximum driver involvement. That’s why we chose not to use a PDK ‘box until now – the involvement was not at the point where it should be for the GT3. The weight was another issue, too. So this time, for the first time, we decided to try out the PDK gearbox in parallel with the manual, and really feel what the difference was like. And feel is very important, for customers and myself – a very, very fast car where you don’t have any sensations isn’t worth the money. And coming from the other side we are under pressure from the competition, so I won’t sacrifice any performance just because someone wants to shift with a manual.

'The PDK gearbox is about 30kg heavier than the manual in the 997, and we have saved 25kg from the engine, so I said we should try it. The ‘box itself isn’t from the Carrera: there’s seven driving gears, not six plus overdrive, so you reach the top speed in seventh, And the programmes and hardware are totally different. The upshifts are beyond comparison on the market – less than 100ms – and it’s so much fun to use it: the sensation you get when you drive the car is like having a sequential race gearbox, not a flappy paddle system.

'We added a ‘Hooligan mode’ so you can do donuts in the car. Or, let’s say you have a 2nd gear curve, it’s wet, there’s nobody around and you wanted to drift. How do you do that in the manual? You dip the clutch and press the throttle to get the car around. That’s not possible in a normal automatic, but it is in the GT3: if you pull both paddles it engages neutral so you can 'clutch kick' the GT3. Same for race starts – you can dial up more wheelspin than the computer will give you. This was a major programme with the gearbox development to ensure you could play around with the PDK.'
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
To those who already have their Macan or have taken proper test drives... Does pulling both PDK paddles put the car in neutral like the 991?
Can't imagine why they would make it any different.

Last edited by 911Königin; 07-07-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:15 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2013 991S, pulling both paddles puts it into neutral.

Quick Reply: Does pulling both PDK paddles put the Macan in netural?