Macan 2014-Current

Is PASM bulletproof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Sorry but that is wrong on the Macan and the Cayenne as well, you can only order AS with PASM.
Not so. On the Macan you can order a) steel springs with non adjustable hydraulic shocks i.e has no pasm or air, b) steel springs with pasm but without air, or C) pasm with air. I confirmed this with the dealer. Of course the pasm with air is the top selection and confirmed as being the pick of the bunch in both terms of ride and handling. The next back is the steel springs with adjustable pasm, and of course the last is the basic steel springs with non adjustable hydraulic shocks.

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Good catch. Thanks. But my main point was comparing a car with AS/PASM with a car with steel springs without PASM.
That is exactly what i was referring to in my earlier post using the cayenne as an example of the differences felt. I.e. steel springs without pasm and air vs steel springs with pasm and air.

Sebis is correct that the cayenne is not available with pasm unless it has the air. Macan is different in that regard as you can now have the adjustable ride settings without the air.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Not so. On the Macan you can order a) steel springs with non adjustable hydraulic shocks i.e has no pasm or air, b) steel springs with pasm but without air, or C) pasm with air. I confirmed this with the dealer. Of course the pasm with air is the top selection and confirmed as being the pick of the bunch in both terms of ride and handling. The next back is the steel springs with adjustable pasm, and of course the last is the basic steel springs with non adjustable hydraulic shocks.

That is exactly what i was referring to in my earlier post using the cayenne as an example of the differences felt. I.e. steel springs without pasm and air vs steel springs with pasm and air.

Sebis is correct that the cayenne is not available with pasm unless it has the air. Macan is different in that regard as you can now have the adjustable ride settings without the air.
That is not what I said, I simply made a correction that AS comes with PASM and cannot be ordered without PASM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sebis
That is not what I said, I simply made a correction that AS comes with PASM and cannot be ordered without PASM.
My bad. I interpreted incorrectly as you saying pasm only came with air. I see you have ordered pasm with air and ptv plus. Wise move....as is the 18 ways.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

You're really confusing this issue. There is no such thing as springs with PASM and air. It is either steel springs OR air suspension. PASM comes with air on the Macan, and is optional with steel springs (like other Porches). So you earlier comparison was misleading because it was comparing a car with air suspension (and PASM) with a car with steel springs and no PASM. The steel sprung car's handling can expected to be inferior in your comparison, and it isn't because of the steel springs necessarily, but because it didn't have PASM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:49 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're really confusing this issue. There is no such thing as springs with PASM and air. It is either steel springs OR air suspension. PASM comes with air on the Macan, and is optional with steel springs (like other Porches). So you earlier comparison was misleading because it was comparing a car with air suspension (and PASM) with a car with steel springs and no PASM. The steel sprung car's handling can expected to be inferior in your comparison, and it isn't because of the steel springs necessarily, but because it didn't have PASM.
+1

If comparing Air Suspension to steel Spring suspension, it is a good idea to ensure steel springs have PASM, since Air suspension always does.

That assumes of course that you want a meaningful apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by rpilot; 05-22-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by rpilot; 05-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Of course you can't have coil springs with an air set up. I never said or implied steel springs had air. Anyone should be able to see what I was saying but it seems you are trying to make what i said sound confusing just for the sake of it and I'm starting to question your motive. Although maybe I should have figured it out.....I can see it now..

When I said steel springs without air and pasm I meant it in the sense that it is not something that is available.....in a bid to spell it out in brail for you. How on earth you managed to interpret it the other way around lends question.

In so far as asserting my post/comparison was misleading is also ridiculous and obviously based on your own obvious lack of knowledge between these particular two variants. In a bid to help you, you have only tried to ridicule. Good luck with it.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Of course you can't have coil springs with an air set up. I never said or implied steel springs had air. Anyone should be able to see what I was saying but it seems you are trying to make what i said sound confusing just for the sake of it and I'm starting to question your motive. Although maybe I should have figured it out.....I can see it now..

When I said steel springs without air and pasm I meant it in the sense that it is not something that is available.....in a bid to spell it out in brail for you. How on earth you managed to interpret it the other way around lends question.

In so far as asserting my post/comparison was misleading is also ridiculous and obviously based on your own obvious lack of knowledge between these particular two variants. In a bid to help you, you have only tried to ridicule. Good luck with it.
Sorry if I offended you. I did not intend to. I doubt I was the only one here who found your explanations a little confusing. I have no agenda here. I sincerely want to hear from people who have driven Macan with air suspension/PASM and steel springs with the PASM option to see how they compare. I seriously considered ordering AS, but in the end decided that springs with PASM would be sufficient for my current needs. Since I was unable to drive both versions, I had to make the decision without personal experience on both versions. Therefore I want to hear from others about theirs. In your case, it wasn't clear (and still isn't, to me) if the steel sprung car you drove had PASM or not. If it did have PASM, and you found the handling to be inferior to the AS/PASM car, then it suggests I may have erred in not ordering AS.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have just asked you if the steel sprung car you compared the AS-equipped car to was optioned like your item (a) in your post 46 response to Sebis, or item (b)?

I've been on Rennlist for a week less than 7 years, with over 1930 posts, and have never gotten a response like yours above. I'll treat it as an aberration and hopefully we can move on in a constructive manner with no hard feelings. There is lots more for us to share about these cars.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 AM
speed21
Banned

Sorry if I offended you. I did not intend to. I doubt I was the only one here who found your explanations a little confusing. I have no agenda here. I sincerely want to hear from people who have driven Macan with air suspension/PASM and steel springs with the PASM option to see how they compare. I seriously considered ordering AS, but in the end decided that springs with PASM would be sufficient for my current needs. Since I was unable to drive both versions, I had to make the decision without personal experience on both versions. Therefore I want to hear from others about theirs. In your case, it wasn't clear (and still isn't, to me) if the steel sprung car you drove had PASM or not. If it did have PASM, and you found the handling to be inferior to the AS/PASM car, then it suggests I may have erred in not ordering AS.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have just asked you if the steel sprung car you compared the AS-equipped car to was optioned like your item (a) in your post 46 response to Sebis, or item (b)?

I've been on Rennlist for a week less than 7 years, with over 1930 posts, and have never gotten a response like yours above. I'll treat it as an aberration and hopefully we can move on in a constructive manner with no hard feelings. There is lots more for us to share about these cars.
Apology accepted Ken and if I've left you with a bad impression then I also apologize. I was venting frustration. I wanted to cover the bases and in the course of that created confusion. I concede that. I thought everyone knew that the air set up can't have a coil spring as it is using an air system in place of the coil. Looking back on a few comments I typed I concede I inadvertently made a few errors in the course of being pedantic which has led to confusion as well. Sorry.

I am aware that pasm refers to the hydraulic shock absorber and with the Cayenne the pasm was only available with the air system. The coil spring system (cayenne) used a non pasm shock as most should know. The Macan on the other hand has 2 coil spring suspension variants: one with 3 way pasm, and one with a non pasm fixed type hydraulic shock absorber. There is also the 3rd option where you can choose the pasm shock absorber with the air system, which is claimed to be the pinnacle for the car in terms of ride, handling and versatility. Frankly this one is the pick for sure, and for good reason as I have found out.

My experience with our Cayenne has shown that the air pasm system unquestionably provides better handling and ride. Being able to alter the ride height allows you to advantage the best the pasm system has on offer.

I felt the comparison I quoted on the cayenne with coils and a fixed non pasm shock system vs the pasm/air combo is relevant for the Macan with pasm without air because of the ride and handling behaviors at different ride heights.

At the time we opted for the pasm /air I honestly had no idea we would wind up using the ride height selection capability as much as we do, and I think a lot of guys here asking the question whether the air is worth it with pasm would be in the same boat, none the wiser. That said I'm not saying pasm on its own is a waste of time. It has distinct advantages but you won't get the best out of it without the height functionality imho.

My main reason behind the pasm selection (like yourself) was having ride options to choose from, not so much playing around with ride heights, and like yourself ground clearance was never going to be an issue for us as we never planned taking this car off road. But now, 10,000 on after owning and using the system I can comfortably say there is most definitely a distinct advantage being able to alter the heights which gets the best out of all the pasm modes whilst optimizing the handling of the car. And knowing what I now know it is a box I would not miss ticking.

....I also agree there is a lot more for all of us to share, and look forward to that.

Quick Reply: Is PASM bulletproof?