Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Consensus on side blades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

As with most automobiles, exterior trim = dead weight. This is exactly what the Macan doesn't need.

Who is it that says black rails are not available? If that is so, then don't get them at all. More dead weight that one doesn't need. On the occasions that one does need to haul things on your roof, Thule or Yakima or whatever will take care of you. The rest of the time, enjoy your higher fuel economy and quieter ride.

How many billions of gallons of gasoline have automakers wasted over the years by installing unaerodynamic & chintzy roof racks that are never used?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What's the function of the sideblades. Do u press a button and it extends like airplane wing and tell your 3 yr old kids in back we're going to flying thru the canyons? Anyway don't like them- another thing to replace if it gets dinged/cracked. Mike
Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they stuck them on to disguise a manufacturing imperfection in the door skin? One thing is for certain they sure look stupid. I think even Toyota's Rav 4 has now abandoned this tacky look? These would be the first thing to remove for me....so cheap and nasty looking. It seems so odd. It is as if they are deliberately trying to cheapen the look of the car to differentiate it from the more expensive Cayenne.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
As with most automobiles, exterior trim = dead weight. This is exactly what the Macan doesn't need.

Who is it that says black rails are not available? If that is so, then don't get them at all. More dead weight that one doesn't need. On the occasions that one does need to haul things on your roof, Thule or Yakima or whatever will take care of you. The rest of the time, enjoy your higher fuel economy and quieter ride.

How many billions of gallons of gasoline have automakers wasted over the years by installing unaerodynamic & chintzy roof racks that are never used?
I'm going to get Thule cross bars and supports but the capacity is greatly diminshed without the roof rails. For me the roof rails are a must have.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckfever
I'm going to get Thule cross bars and supports but the capacity is greatly diminshed without the roof rails. For me the roof rails are a must have.
Agree the factory rails are the way to go. I really can't imagine the minor weight of 2 hollow rails penalising the performance of the car. I mean how much weight are we talking here? Plus they look better anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree the factory rails are the way to go. I really can't imagine the minor weight of 2 hollow rails penalising the performance of the car. I mean how much weight are we talking here? Plus they look better anyway.
Looks are subjective, personally I like the much cleaner look without. I have rails on my ML, for seven years of ownership I never used them other than to hold on while washing the roof. Since the Macan is much lower I don't need them at all .
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sebis
Looks are subjective, personally I like the much cleaner look without. I have rails on my ML, for seven years of ownership I never used them other than to hold on while washing the roof. Since the Macan is much lower I don't need them at all .
As you say, looks are subjective hence why you can have with or without. For me I would take it with, whether I ever used them or not. To me they kind of belong on a vehicle of this type, and to me it kind of looks a bit incomplete without them. To each his own as they say but the blades? They need to be colour coded or removed imho. That picture of yours says it all. The black car is the only one out of the lot of them that has escaped Mr toyota.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree the factory rails are the way to go. I really can't imagine the minor weight of 2 hollow rails penalising the performance of the car. I mean how much weight are we talking here?
Weight isn't the primary issue; aerodynamics is. Much more significant than most people realize, especially on the top of the vehicle.

True that factory roof racks should be more capable, but how many sports car owners overload their roof racks? Bikes and skis and kayaks and such don't weigh much. Perhaps the most likely overloading might come from lumber, but then anyone who can afford a Porsche should be smart enough to borrow/rent a truck when there is serious work to be done. Why breaking one's back to load a roof with heavy stuff???

Bottom line, roof racks are handy when you need them, but they are foolish to buy for looks alone.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by roule
Weight isn't the primary issue; aerodynamics is. Much more significant than most people realize, especially on the top of the vehicle.

True that factory roof racks should be more capable, but how many sports car owners overload their roof racks? Bikes and skis and kayaks and such don't weigh much. Perhaps the most likely overloading might come from lumber, but then anyone who can afford a Porsche should be smart enough to borrow/rent a truck when there is serious work to be done. Why breaking one's back to load a roof with heavy stuff???

Bottom line, roof racks are handy when you need them, but they are foolish to buy for looks alone.
I think you make some really good points and I agree that esthetically I prefer the smoother lines. I actually wish I didn't need it. But then I need the hitch too and 18" wheels. And a diesel. LOL
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Im ordering a black Macan. I do not want to see the side blades.
On a black Macan would the side blades be hidden or would i need to pay the extra for the option to have them painted body color?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Buckfever
Racer

I want black too I think that's the $64000 question or maybe $63000. LOL
The pics of the black Macan S show it to blend well. But my buddy's blacked out Cayenne is smoking hot, so what ever that takes. With the trim and blades painted I think it's only $900.

Here the S from the Motor Trend First Drive, I think it depends on the lighting here it blends well:

Name:  http---imagemotortrendcom-f-roadtests-suvs-1402_2015_porsche_macan_first_drive-68666823.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  48.6 KB

Last edited by Buckfever; 03-28-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

sideblades: to paint or not to paint on a dark color macan?
Attached Images     
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

If you really want to hide them, body color paint will it best IMO. Otherwise, it'll surely be a different color and likely different texture from the paint finish.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
sideblades: to paint or not to paint on a dark color macan?
Isn't that the Turbo? Are those the carbon fiber blades?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Buckfever
Racer

At the Macan forum igorig posted these up 11 is carbon fiber and #40 is the standard black.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7js2fcaf3...l-DSC00952.JPG

Yeah I need them painted.

However the Agate Grey is messing with me. That is smooth.

Quick Reply: Consensus on side blades?