Notices
Macan 2014-Current

What is the functional utility of the crossover class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkanalysis
A crossover would have a higher center of gravity and consequently handling would not be as good as a sedan.
That's why Air Suspension is a must on the Macan, it sits lower at the normal position and goes even lower in Sport+.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

A crossover would have a higher center of gravity and consequently handling would not be as good as a sedan.
I think the Macan will dance with a 3 series sedan regardless of center of gravity..
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 AM
window2time
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
That's why Air Suspension is a must on the Macan, it sits lower at the normal position and goes even lower in Sport+.
This is good news as I was wondering if there was a way to get the car lower for more sporting situations. Do we know how much lower it will be in Sport+ mode? Do you have a reference for this information? Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by window2time
This is good news as I was wondering if there was a way to get the car lower for more sporting situations. Do we know how much lower it will be in Sport+ mode? Do you have a reference for this information? Thanks
Skip to 1:10, when the Sport + is activated the lowered suspension button gets lit. I know from the Cayenne that there is a lower mode on the air suspension that can be activated while driving.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM
window2time
6th Gear

Great. Thank you for pointing this out and posting the video.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The video is interesting. In Turbo form it appears to be more then just a grocery getter…. has alot of grunt!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Sadly after several years of declining sales in the US the wagon has all but disappeared from our shores, especially any with some performance, we are
pretty much left with the A4, 328i, E350... none of which are that interesting.

As a multiple (old) dog owner the wagon is a far superior dog carrier than any SUV due to the (lack of) ground clearance, which for old arthritic dogs is essential as they can neither climb into or out of a higher vehicle.

It also has to be said that pretty much any wagon out there handle and drives better than pretty much any SUV ...even I'd argue performance models like the BMW M's or Cayenne's ... there Ive said it now!

What's pretty ugly is BMW's attempt to replace their excellent 3 & 5 series wagons (which pretty much rule europes roads) with the 5 and 3 GT models
which could not be much uglier if they tried!

I agree that the cross over is probably a better solution for "off road" and towing but for town and country the wagon is (for me) the way to go...

I should have got the E63 AMG wagon instead of my X5 ...
I agree Larry. I've always like wagons, but as you say the choices are slim. But compared to sedans both wagons and crossovers are more useful IMO, and given the dearth of wagons, that leaves crossovers as a better choice for me.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

True; my original statement started by comparing sedans and wagons, which offer almost all of the advantages, performance and otherwise, of a sedan with none of the packaging drawbacks. Crossovers, OTOH, are a compromise but still more versatile as all around vehicles than sedans, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Originally Posted by window2time
Here's some info about the air suspension capabilities...

If you do feel the need to take your Porsche Macan off-road, it’s worth opting for the air suspension. This improves the approach angle (already good thanks to the short overhangs) from 24.8 degrees to 26.6 degrees when the off-road mode is selected, and increases ground clearance to 230mm – 40mm higher than standard mode.

As standard, models fitted with air suspension sit 15mm lower than usual, and pressing the Sport Plus button lowers the Macan by yet another 10mm – giving it maximum on-road performance.

And, if loading the Macan’s boot is too difficult, you can lower the air suspension at the rear by 50mm below the ‘normal’ level using a button in the luggage compartment.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/pors...earned?page=21
Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Personally I'd take a well equiped Subaru Forester over the options here.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are always boring appliances to choose instead of a porsche.. whats your point?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by endless_corners
There are always boring appliances to choose instead of a porsche.. whats your point?
Its far more wagon-like so more usefully than poncey crossovers. That and I've never understood why someone would want an SUV from Porsche, I'd only ever want a sports car from a sports car company if I want utility there are way better options IMO -- that's my point!!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:46 PM
jwoodtri
5th Gear

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I am going to assume he's never driven (I mean really driven) a Cayenne. I've owned an Audi Allroad & have S7. Hands down the cayenne is a faster, better handling vehicle than both. Have you not seen the cayenne vs 911 shoot out?
try and compare a Subaru to a Cayenne or Macan & you'd just be babbling from the mouth.

Subaru has its market, need & purpose but not even in the same shadow.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM
gordon10402
7th Gear

I've been driving a cross over SUV for the last 10 years, an RX330. As has been said above, a cross over is essentially like a modern version of a station wagon. But, it sits a bit higher, which I like when on the road. And, it's great for hauling kids to soccer, baseball, swim meets, etc. And, it has all wheel drive, which helps get up my driveway when it snows. And, it has a bit more ground clearance, so on a mild dirt road with ruts on the way to a camping area for a boy scout trip it doesn't scrape on every rock sticking up and can handle mild off road well. My wife's full size SUV will do all this. But, the cross over does it all in a smaller package that isn't as high, or as big, yet can do what it needs to when the time comes.

In my opinion (and I had my deposit down two days after the LA Auto Show) the Macan is a very nice cross over for those who are willing to pay up for it. It will do what a Q5, or an RX 350, or any of the others will do, but it's going to handle much better, and do it all better.

The day I put my deposit down I drove a Cayenne with air suspension. It was great. On a very choppy highway with major cracks at every concrete joint the suspension would smooth it all out when put in "comfort" mode. But, it was a "European comfort" not a "Cadillac Comfort". It was still precise, not mushy. In sport mode it was more precise and firm. I'm betting the Macan air suspension will be very very similar.

I also drove the Cayenne more aggressively and it was incredible.

My son is going to get my Lexus RX 330. So, I'll still drive it once I get the Macan. I'm sure that when I switch between the two it will be night and day between them. All that said, I do like my RX. I'm sure I'm going to love the Macan.

My perspective.

Gordon
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rather than make rules for what porsche is allowed to make to be "pure"... Just judge each vehicle they make on their own merits.

Quick Reply: What is the functional utility of the crossover class?