Notices
Macan 2014-Current

What is the functional utility of the crossover class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013 | 05:37 PM
Jkanalysis
AutoX

Default What is the functional utility of the crossover class?

I'm looking at the cargo space between the 5 series and the Macan. They are about the same. They also seat the same number of people. So what is the functional difference between a mid-sized sedan and a crossover?
Old 12-19-2013 | 07:44 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Mainly, ground clearance. Possibly towing capacity.A crossover is essentially a hatchback/wagon disguised as an SUV.
Old 12-19-2013 | 08:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jkanalysis
I'm looking at the cargo space between the 5 series and the Macan. They are about the same. They also seat the same number of people. So what is the functional difference between a mid-sized sedan and a crossover?
You can have my X5 xDrive50 ... saves me having it stolen or wishing that it would spontaneously combust! then I can get a Macan Turbo

Old 12-19-2013 | 10:01 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Higher seating position and the illusion of it being better offroad.
Old 12-20-2013 | 02:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jkanalysis
I see no advantage to a sedan over a wagon (except possibly esthetics), and any number of advantages to a wagon over a sedan, especially if you have dogs or want to occasionally haul something that won't fit in a trunk. The choices for wagons are generally more limited however, so add in things like more ground clearance, uprated towing, and some off road capability, and crossovers are a good substitute.
Old 12-20-2013 | 02:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I see no advantage to a sedan over a wagon (except possibly esthetics), and any number of advantages to a wagon over a sedan, especially if you have dogs or want to occasionally haul something that won't fit in a trunk. The choices for wagons are generally more limited however, so add in things like more ground clearance, uprated towing, and some off road capability, and crossovers are a good substitute.
Sadly after several years of declining sales in the US the wagon has all but disappeared from our shores, especially any with some performance, we are
pretty much left with the A4, 328i, E350... none of which are that interesting.

As a multiple (old) dog owner the wagon is a far superior dog carrier than any SUV due to the (lack of) ground clearance, which for old arthritic dogs is essential as they can neither climb into or out of a higher vehicle.

It also has to be said that pretty much any wagon out there handle and drives better than pretty much any SUV ...even I'd argue performance models like the BMW M's or Cayenne's ... there Ive said it now!

What's pretty ugly is BMW's attempt to replace their excellent 3 & 5 series wagons (which pretty much rule europes roads) with the 5 and 3 GT models
which could not be much uglier if they tried!

I agree that the cross over is probably a better solution for "off road" and towing but for town and country the wagon is (for me) the way to go...

I should have got the E63 AMG wagon instead of my X5 ...
Old 12-20-2013 | 03:11 PM
sebis
Racer

An E63 wagon is over 100K, there is no wagon on the US market under 100K that I would buy today.
Old 12-20-2013 | 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sebis
An E63 wagon is over 100K, there is no wagon on the US market under 100K that I would buy today.
Yes and yes ... the sticker was why I balked at buying one as my DD & Dog Car ... and I agree we have managed to convince nearly all of the euro manufacturers that N.A is not a place to market a performance wagon

Thus we are stuck with these monsters, which by and large (unless you go REALLY LARGE) don't offer much if any additional interior space, weigh a LOT more, handle like a brick on a slinky (don't have decent brakes etc etc) while europe cruises around in powerful, elegant, well handling wagons (estates/touring)...

Oh well, once the thieves have (hopefully) stolen my X5, or it has mysteriously spontaneously combusted, I can replace it with a Macan Turbo... otherwise I will
have to wait till the end of my lease
Old 12-20-2013 | 03:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I wouldnt compare the X5 with the Macan.
The Macan is X3 size.

The cross over mini-ute segment is very popular. Probably due to the awd and slight utility aspect.

I have considered awd sedans such as A4 and 3 series to the Q5,X3 and now Macan.
I have even looked a Audi wagons… But the wagon image has just not gone over well in North America as it has in europe i suppose.
My wife refuses to be seen in a mini van or wagon.

With the the crossover vehicle you get easier entry and exit (due to seat height), a hatch back style trunk, beefier tire and ground clearance.
It makes for a great "mom" or a full size ute alternative for those who mostly commute in a conjested city with the occassional trip to the country side.
Old 12-20-2013 | 04:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I wouldnt compare the X5 with the Macan.
The Macan is X3 size.

The cross over mini-ute segment is very popular. Probably due to the awd and slight utility aspect.

I have considered awd sedans such as A4 and 3 series to the Q5,X3 and now Macan.
I have even looked a Audi wagons… But the wagon image has just not gone over well in North America as it has in europe i suppose.
My wife refuses to be seen in a mini van or wagon.

With the the crossover vehicle you get easier entry and exit (due to seat height), a hatch back style trunk, beefier tire and ground clearance.
It makes for a great "mom" or a full size ute alternative for those who mostly commute in a conjested city with the occassional trip to the country side.
price and performance wise the Macan Turbo is in the same ballpark as the X5M and the X5 xDrive50 league...
Old 12-20-2013 | 04:58 PM
pmt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
price and performance wise the Macan Turbo is in the same ballpark as the X5M and the X5 xDrive50 league...
They are not in the same ballpark as the Macan Turbo, performance or quality wise.
Old 12-20-2013 | 05:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmt
They are not in the same ballpark as the Macan Turbo, performance or quality wise.
quality is questionable I agree, performance, at least straight line they are to the best of my knowledge
Old 12-20-2013 | 06:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Performance figures yes which is pretty cool. Size not so much… Size does matter

X5 models and Cayenne models are more of apples to apples in comparo for power, size and target market.
Old 12-20-2013 | 07:09 PM
speed21
Banned

^ agree size does (and will) matter at one point. Apples and oranges with Macan and X5……should be Macan vs X3 to be fair.
Old 12-20-2013 | 07:54 PM
Jkanalysis
AutoX

A crossover would have a higher center of gravity and consequently handling would not be as good as a sedan.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Quick Reply: What is the functional utility of the crossover class?