Macan 2014-Current

Macan Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
If one is really concerned with economy and practicality when looking for a vehicle, probably a wiser decision to NOT buy a Porsche. Plenty of great options out there that would better qualify as more economic and/or practical choices IMO. Additionally, I can't imagine many CTT owners or those who decide on a Macan Turbo are concerned with gas prices or resale value.
This is certainly not true for all Porsche owners. There are clearly some who have so much money that the last thing on their minds is fuel economy or resale value. For many of us however, these aren't mutually exclusive requirements. I for one fully appreciate the quality, handling capabilities, and beautiful lines of Porsches, but most certainly also care about fuel economy, practicality, and resale value of my car. These are precisely the reasons why I've ordered a Macan, and if the diesel option was available now, I definitely would've opted for that.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by fastm3
This is certainly not true for all Porsche owners. There are clearly some who have so much money that the last thing on their minds is fuel economy or resale value. For many of us however, these aren't mutually exclusive requirements. I for one fully appreciate the quality, handling capabilities, and beautiful lines of Porsches, but most certainly also care about fuel economy, practicality, and resale value of my car. These are precisely the reasons why I've ordered a Macan, and if the diesel option was available now, I definitely would've opted for that.
I tend to agree and didn't mean to generalize. I guess I kept reading "economy and practicality" in this thread and just find it hard to believe those are high on the list for Porsche owners. Doesn't mean that we don't look at and appreciate those things, esp in the SUV variants like the Cayenne and Macan. But how many CTT owners do you think really worry about fuel economy? If they do, they should have really thought about that before buying.

My thought process is that a Porsche is not for the practical or for someone that is economically prudent. Plenty of other choices that IMO fit those descriptions better. We buy these cars because we're looking for something else in what we drive, fuel economy and practicality are a bonus. Resale, whole different discussion... A new car is never a good investment, Diesel or not. I really don't think anyone should buy a new vehicle $60k-$100k+ and worry about resale.

Just literally my $0.02s worth.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree and didn't mean to generalize. I guess I kept reading "economy and practicality" in this thread and just find it hard to believe those are high on the list for Porsche owners. Doesn't mean that we don't look at and appreciate those things, esp in the SUV variants like the Cayenne and Macan. But how many CTT owners do you think really worry about fuel economy? If they do, they should have really thought about that before buying.

My thought process is that a Porsche is not for the practical or for someone that is economically prudent. Plenty of other choices that IMO fit those descriptions better. We buy these cars because we're looking for something else in what we drive, fuel economy and practicality are a bonus. Resale, whole different discussion... A new car is never a good investment, Diesel or not. I really don't think anyone should buy a new vehicle $60k-$100k+ and worry about resale.

I hope I can disagree with you on this without upsetting anyone.

I am very practical and economically prudent.

When we were looking at replacing my work vehicle, I went through all the available SUVs from the least expensive to the most expensive.
Test drove them all, the ones which made the short list earned a chance for a long distance, overnight test drive.
Did significant research on the vehicles and reviews from real owners.

The base Cayenne is the best VALUE for the price paid.
Fuel economy is good for the class.
Optioned with Air suspension and winter tires, the practical aspects out shine all but the Jeep.

For my requirement - 50,000 km driving per year, all long distance drives between 500 and 1200 km, winter 6 months of the year, driving through snow and ice and storms regularly, etc - the Cayenne meets my needs.

It really hit me on the 1200 km drive I did yesterday, through the mountains, snow, compact snow, ice, slush, etc all at speeds in excess of 80 km/hr ---
The Cayenne is a joy to drive and keeps me engaged throughout the long drives!
Other than sports cars and motorcycles I have driven, the Cayenne is the most engaging vehicle I have driven.

So why is this important when talking about practicality?
If I am engaged and enjoying the drive, I am more alert and relaxed throughout the drive.
I arrive at my destinations ready to work, happier and generally better off.
It ultimately means I am able to work more effectively when I travel somewhere. It also means I can make the long journey home after most trips, saving me hotel stays. (I have saved over $4000 on hotels in the last 2 years of ownership compared to previous years.)
As far as fuel economy goes, my distance driven per year has gone up, but my litres of fuel used has actually gone down. On 5,000 litres a year at $1.30 per litre this adds up.

As to time savings, being able to drive around or through some conditions has put me at my destination on time or early 100's of times these past 2 years.
For me, time is indeed money as my billable rate is very high.
Every hour not spent driving can be re-purposed to work (or fun pursuits.)

If I keep on justifying this, the Cayenne will begin making money

My case may be the exception
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Great points above, and even better self justification. However, I guess what I have a hard time comprehending is how a Porsche, or any $60k+ car for that matter, qualifies as a very practical or economically prudent purchase. Kia, Hyundai, sure, but $60k is more than the median income for US households.

I'll get off my soapbox now, back to the Macan.

Would love to have the Diesel option I've been reading about here in the states at launch, but the Turbo just looks too enticing for the price. Really looking forward to reading the reviews and seeing these hit the dealerships in the coming months.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it is self justification

Ultimately, it is me who is the person who is happy driving a Cayenne.

I know I would be VERY unhappy driving something less.

Can we put a price on happiness?

I would go for the Diesel, but around here, diesel is selling for the same or higher than premium.

Now, when I trade the Pepper in for a Carrera 4S... you can definitely take me to task for being extravagant!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
Ultimately, it is me who is the person who is happy driving a Cayenne.
This was the big thing for me. Everything cheaper was missing things I deemed critical and the next closest option (X5 at 15k less) ultimately didn't have the thrill of driving that my CD does.

On the face its not the best financial choice, but hopefully I will stay happy with it longer which will equate to keeping it longer. 70k over 8-10 years is better than 2 40k vehicles over the same time.

The fuel economy (both in actual savings as well as ecological impact) was critical for me, which significantly limited my options.

In the end it is indeed self justification, but since we're the ones paying the bills...
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the Lexus GX is eating $7500 a year in gas and a Cayenne diesel will save you $3500 a year on fuel, 6 years later considering the resale and the cost savings in fuel, a modestly equipped Cayenne diesel was free, comparitavely.

I think that's been the whole problem here is that the Porsche SUV and diesel iterations do target parity in "economy and practicality" while differentiating with the Porsche eclectic branding. It may not sit well with the loyalists, but it is an absolutely unbeatable positioning.

And Porsche is absolutely right the Macan is going to be untouchable in that segment and will be wildly successful.

Whether that leads to long run dilution of the brand, remains to be seen. But certainly BMW expanded the brand largely without hurting the brand equity.

Quick Reply: Macan Diesel