Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sebis i'm sure the V6ttP will be a blast to drive, just pity about the fuel economy especially if you plan on footing it about like a sports car. Using the CTT as a historical case in point, that variant is notorious for taking a very big (huge) hit in the shortest space of time and I suspect many who opted to get out of the car early did so probably because the novelty at the gas bowser wore off along with coming to the sad realization it is still a people mover anyway. Unfortunately you can't escape the fact the car is heavy and will suck fuel when the hammer drops. In the diesel no so. I'm not saying don't buy a petrol, just to be ready for the long term ownership costs once the novelty wears off as these types of vehicles inevitably will do the bulk of the mileage and work of any other car you may have in the stable. With a 911 or F car who cares what it sucks, these cars are fun toys, but SUV's are generally a different story. On the other hand if fuel is dirt cheap and money no obstacle then go for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
sebis i'm sure the V6ttP will be a blast to drive, just pity about the fuel economy especially if you plan on footing it about like a sports car. Using the CTT as a historical case in point, that variant is notorious for taking a very big (huge) hit in the shortest space of time and I suspect many who opted to get out of the car early did so probably because the novelty at the gas bowser wore off along with coming to the sad realization it is still a people mover anyway. Unfortunately you can't escape the fact the car is heavy and will suck fuel when the hammer drops. In the diesel no so. I'm not saying don't buy a petrol, just to be ready for the long term ownership costs once the novelty wears off as these types of vehicles inevitably will do the bulk of the mileage and work of any other car you may have in the stable. With a 911 or F car who cares what it sucks, these cars are fun toys, but SUV's are generally a different story. On the other hand if fuel is dirt cheap and money no obstacle then go for it.
Good point, however:

1. In the US gasoline is still fairly affordable.
2. It will have better mileage than CTT by a significant margin.
3. I plan to get a Macan as weekend / vacation / fun car, heavy mileage for daily commute rests on the 335d.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Good point, however:

1. In the US gasoline is still fairly affordable.
2. It will have better mileage than CTT by a significant margin.
3. I plan to get a Macan as weekend / vacation / fun car, heavy mileage for daily commute rests on the 335d.
I would add two more points:

4. Economy of the Macan is relative to the economy of the vehicle it replaces. If someone is downsizing from a Suburban or a Tahoe, the Macan will be relatively cheap to run.
5. Depends on the premium that Porsche places on the diesel motor in MSRP for that model. If it's $2-3k more to purchase a diesel Macan vs. a similarly equipped gas model, that's a lot of upfront cost to make up for at each fill-up. Especially when diesel fuel is typically more expensive than even premium unleaded here in the US.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:42 AM
speed21
Banned

People buy cars for all different reasons but at one point the running costs come into question. I've heard that said even by real sports car owners. At the end of the day, no matter how much you want to try and fool yourselves, this car is NOT a sportscar.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you drop the sports car bit yet? No one is claiming its a sports car. We all know its a small SUV that has been made to perform on the street exceptionally well.

We know its not a 911 and, again, no one is claiming it to be, but like its big sister it is going to out perform any of its competitors.

Also like its big sister, if Porsche's own test results are to be believed, it's going to surprise some "real" sports car drivers too.

It's no sports car, but it will be an option worth considering for someone that wants one but needs a but more utility.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Love the diesel option, really like the platform as a whole just wish it had a little higher towing capacity
Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Love the diesel option, really like the platform as a whole just wish it had a little higher towing capacity
So buy a Cayenne diesel.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RareAir
I would add two more points:

4. Economy of the Macan is relative to the economy of the vehicle it replaces. If someone is downsizing from a Suburban or a Tahoe, the Macan will be relatively cheap to run.
5. Depends on the premium that Porsche places on the diesel motor in MSRP for that model. If it's $2-3k more to purchase a diesel Macan vs. a similarly equipped gas model, that's a lot of upfront cost to make up for at each fill-up. Especially when diesel fuel is typically more expensive than even premium unleaded here in the US.
Not totally true (at least here in Canada). Ik you look at the value of a used Diesel compared with the gasoline model, you will notice the conciderable higher value. It's hard to say if this will be the same for the Macan, but look at the values for the 2010/11 X5, ML or Toaureg.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by rrental
Not totally true (at least here in Canada). Ik you look at the value of a used Diesel compared with the gasoline model, you will notice the conciderable higher value. It's hard to say if this will be the same for the Macan, but look at the values for the 2010/11 X5, ML or Toaureg.
I'm with you on this one. Economy and practicality go hand in hand and that is clearly evidenced by the resale values we see as well. The second buyer is always far more budget conscious than the first buyer and subsequently economy becomes a key point in the purchasing decision, especially from a price point of the vehicle being sold. Diesels continue to hold values infinitely better, and present as the wiser long term choice, in fact so much so over here, petrols often just sit and sit until the price becomes low enough for a buyer to take a punt (which sometimes takes time due to the sellers reluctance to take a price they basically have no other choice but to take…..unless they want to die with the car of course).

At the end of the day the car is just a recreational type SUV (or whatever else it gets called) so economy and practicality are king at the end of the day.

Edit: Linked article doesn't place much difference in performance between petrol and diesel anyway..http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/pors...n-ride/1224420

Last edited by speed21; 12-25-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrental
Good point - I hadn't considered resale value in my equation, but rather assumed the original purchaser would keep the car until the premium for the engine is recouped.

All a moot point if the diesel is indeed equal or less than the price of the S petrol model. Should be interesting to see once the final prices are announced.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

If one is really concerned with economy and practicality when looking for a vehicle, probably a wiser decision to NOT buy a Porsche. Plenty of great options out there that would better qualify as more economic and/or practical choices IMO. Additionally, I can't imagine many CTT owners or those who decide on a Macan Turbo are concerned with gas prices or resale value.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The second buyer is always far more budget conscious than the first buyer and subsequently economy becomes a key point in the purchasing decision, especially from a price point of the vehicle being sold.
I would expect that to be an argument for the cheaper gas version then. On a new Cayenne Diesel the premium over the V6 will take roughly 90k to pay off for me assuming the difference between diesel and premium stay vaguely the same over that time.

I'm not sure how the Cayenne will shake out there, but the used market for the longer term diesels tends to show a bigger premium between the gas an oil versions than they had when new. So this means it is likely to take even longer to pay off for the next buyer and negate the cost of more fuel stops if its not being bought for the long game.

So if the used buyer is really focused on their budget (and understands the full equation), the the seemingly worse MPG of the gas engine is actually better for their bottom line.

I love my CD and will talk oil burning up to anyone that will listen, but it's neither the silver bullet to our fuel issues not is it some super cheap solution where you start seeing monetary returns immediately.

As an aside, I expect that as diesels (in general) get more popular in the US we'll see the resale value start to fall as there will be more to choose from.

Last edited by gnat; 12-27-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by slwong23
If one is really concerned with economy and practicality when looking for a vehicle, probably a wiser decision to NOT buy a Porsche. Plenty of great options out there that would better qualify as more economic and/or practical choices IMO. Additionally, I can't imagine many CTT owners or those who decide on a Macan Turbo are concerned with gas prices or resale value.
A new Porsche buyer can generally afford to be indulgent. A used buyer may be attracted with the trappings that go with owning a prestige and/or perfomance brand but will generally opt for value, economy and practicality where it is available.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by gnat
As an aside, I expect that as diesels (in general) get more popular in the US we'll see the resale value start to fall as there will be more to choose from.
The US is a dream market to those of us on the outside. If only I could buy a new Porsche at your prices I wouldn't hesitate buying a Macan TT fully loaded and not even worry what I had to take when I'm finished with it. The losses are minimal in comparison. US= dirt cheap new P cars, cheap gas…..dream HQ.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 AM
RareAir
Instructor

US= dirt cheap new P cars, cheap gas…..dream HQ.
If our road system here were up to German standards, I would agree. Gas is cheap here partly because we pay relatively little in taxes to maintain roads. You'll need that razor sharp handling to swerve and avoid all the potholes and other surface irregularities.

Quick Reply: Macan Diesel