Macan 2014-Current

Macan Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Macan Diesel

3 liter v6 diesel coming to the US. Now that's going to be the Macan of choice by a long shot.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...linder-models/
Old 12-14-2013, 02:08 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great! I know for some reason or another(emissions?) it's been somewhat hard to get diesels into the US.

Price delta here is only a couple of grand less than the Macan S. So I can't imagine it been much different there!

S Diesel is what we have on order.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 AM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
3 liter v6 diesel coming to the US. Now that's going to be the Macan of choice by a long shot.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...linder-models/
Great post, thanks. Interesting to note from that article that the 4 cylinder models will not come to the US. Seems the only other option for the base Macan will be a naturally aspirated version of the V6 - probably the same engine used in the base Cayenne.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big question is, when. I've got a deposit down on an S, but would really prefer a diesel. The issue is, I don't want to wait yet another year!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn. I love the TDI in the Cayenne. With the lower weight and PDK in the Macan its going to be a little monster.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Damn. I love the TDI in the Cayenne. With the lower weight and PDK in the Macan its going to be a little monster.
Hmm, I don't know. The diesel is lazy and effortless. I love it, and it seems perfectly paired to the Cayenne, but I feel like it wouldn't be a good match to the smaller, more energetic, Macan. I drove a V6 Cayenne while ours was in the shop for the fuel sender issue, and I could definitely feel the result of 300 to 400 lbs less over the nose. To me, the Macan deserves an engine that loves to pull and rev, not one that's happy to stick in top gear and surf the torque wave.

Time will tell. Could be just personal preference.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Effortless I'll give you, but lazy? All that torque is almost instantly on tap which lets it be pretty nimble in its power application.

As far as the gearing, sport mode and/or manual will take care of that. You generally want to stay in a higher gear than you would with a gas engine so you can stay in that torque curve.

I agree that it will make it more nose heavy than the other variants though. But I would bet Porsche tweaks things with the suspension/chassis enough so that the effect is minimized.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 AM
sebis
Racer

I would never get a Macan diesel, I am saying this while having two diesel cars in my garage.

1. Diesel makes sense for large(r) SUVs due to the instant torque available to move that mass and the good fuel consumption. I would get a Cayenne diesel for example (almost ordered one this Spring).

2. The diesel engines are not as fun to drive, no exhaust note, initial hesitation off the line, no high rev engine, etc. I bought my 335d due to my 100 miles daily commute, it works great for that purpose and when pushed it delivers. However, I am still craving for something else, more fun to drive.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, the 335d is one little rocket and if you are not careful on open roads, one could end up in triple digit speeds without realizing. But still, I am craving for something else .
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for me this puts the Macan back in play as a daily driver. I thought the Cayenne was a bit too big, I hope the Macan isn't too small we'll see. I think the MPG will come in higher than what they're reporting though. Wouldn't want the 4 anyway. This just might be perfect.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

If I were in the market in 2015, I would have definitely considered the Macan diesel. Whoever said diesels are no fun, should see me smile while driving my CD. This is from someone who had a 987 before.

I would be curious as to how the PDK transmission interacts with the diesel engine. Will it be as smooth as the 8-speed tiptronic?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 PM
OO7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought there was going to be a biturbo diesel for the Macan, a twin turbo V6 with 309BHP and 479lbft of torque in it's Audi application before Porsche tunes it.

Was a little dissapointed that they've gone for, at least at launch, the lower powered engine.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's not kid ourselves here fellas the macan is NOT a sportscar, just another all purpose suv type of vehicle marketed as having sports car characteristics much along the same lines as Cayenne did when it was marketed. It will handle better than Cayenne given its smaller size and lighter weight but a 911 it will never be. The only engine that makes any real sense in these heavyweights is the diesel 6 as it can at least shift the weight with a lot less fuss and fuel while still feel sporty enough. I think Porsche couldn't afford to use SQ5's diesel because it has just invested money in a new V6t petrol range and that HI-PO diesel would have belted the crap out of their top end petrol engine using far less fuel. The V6D imho would be the better long term pick unless you want to kid yourself and pretend you are in a 911 ...when in reality you or the Mrs will just be doing the school drop off or going to the shops most of the time (in that sexy looking mini-bus).
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by speed21
Let's not kid ourselves here fellas the macan is NOT a sportscar, just another all purpose suv type of vehicle marketed as having sports car characteristics much along the same lines as Cayenne did when it was marketed. It will handle better than Cayenne given its smaller size and lighter weight but a 911 it will never be. The only engine that makes any real sense in these heavyweights is the diesel 6 as it can at least shift the weight with a lot less fuss and fuel while still feel sporty enough. I think Porsche couldn't afford to use SQ5's diesel because it has just invested money in a new V6t petrol range and that HI-PO diesel would have belted the crap out of their top end petrol engine using far less fuel. The V6D imho would be the better long term pick unless you want to kid yourself and pretend you are in a 911 ...when in reality you or the Mrs will just be doing the school drop off or going to the shops most of the time (in that sexy looking mini-bus).
At least with the V6 TT I can prentend to be in a 911, no chance of that with the oil burner

P. S. With a toddler to be in tow, this is as close as I could get to a 911, why do you want to ruin my illusion of driving a sports car?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
+1 Exactly! At the end of the day, a good looking little SUV that handles well, and with the diesel, gets decent fuel economy too.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 PM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by visitador

I would be curious as to how the PDK transmission interacts with the diesel engine. Will it be as smooth as the 8-speed tiptronic?
FWIW I had a Q3 Diesel loner from Audi recently with the 7 speed dual clutch, I was very impressed at how that type of transmission compliments the diesel mill! basically you get this feeling that its directly connected & the torque is instantaneous, unlike the X5 diesel with conventional auto I had which (dont get me wrong wasn't bad) just felt a bit lethargic in the lower rpm's.

Quick Reply: Macan Diesel