Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Sport Chrono, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM
kgclark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Sport Chrono on both my Cayman and my current Panamera 4. It is a must-have option in my opinion - even on - maybe ESPECIALLY on - the lower-end models. Sport+ changes the whole driving dynamic of the car and really makes the car feel faster and sportier. Personally, I don't care much about 0-60 times and have never tracked a car or used launch control. I just want the car to handle well and FEEL fast while I'm driving it. SC allows the car to do just that and allows me to save a significant amount of money by forgoing the larger engine.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by kgclark
I had Sport Chrono on both my Cayman and my current Panamera 4. It is a must-have option in my opinion - even on - maybe ESPECIALLY on - the lower-end models. Sport+ changes the whole driving dynamic of the car and really makes the car feel faster and sportier. Personally, I don't care much about 0-60 times and have never tracked a car or used launch control. I just want the car to handle well and FEEL fast while I'm driving it. SC allows the car to do just that and allows me to save a significant amount of money by forgoing the larger engine.
works for me!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
How about in the country side, two lane roads having to pass in limited time due to visibility. Would it help or not?
Sport+ with the PDK in automatic mode would have you running higher revs than you need most of the time. manual mode would let you run at more reasonable revs, and i'm sure you would enjoy the quicker throttle response of the Sport+ when passing.

that said, I have no doubt the car will be quite capable without the sport+, and you can always use manual mode to downshift to make the jump around the car ahead. Plus, Sport+ , at least on my 991 C4S, drains the tank pretty quickly!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Capital Porsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sebis
How about in the country side, two lane roads having to pass in limited time due to visibility. Would it help or not?
I don't think SC will help in the situation you described here--if there's an urgent situation, you'd likely not going to a) take a hand off the wheel, b) divert your eyes from the road to locate the button (if you haven't mastered it by touch alone), and c) press the button, then d) mash the pedal...
In an urgent situation, simply tap the left paddle shifter a couple times to drop gears, then hit throttle (or with PDK, just stay on throttle while it downshifts!).

True, the actual shift times are faster with SC in S+ mode, but to me the biggest thing I notice is the throttle response. This is how I tend to describe it to a client: "while in S+ mode, depressing the throttle the first 20% of travel causes a reaction as though you had depressed it maybe ~35%. And depressing it 60% down is comparable to pressing it 100% full-throttle in regular drive mode." [total guesstimates] but that seems to make sense.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capital Porsche
I don't think SC will help in the situation you described here--if there's an urgent situation, you'd likely not going to a) take a hand off the wheel, b) divert your eyes from the road to locate the button (if you haven't mastered it by touch alone), and c) press the button, then d) mash the pedal...
In an urgent situation, simply tap the left paddle shifter a couple times to drop gears, then hit throttle (or with PDK, just stay on throttle while it downshifts!).

True, the actual shift times are faster with SC in S+ mode, but to me the biggest thing I notice is the throttle response. This is how I tend to describe it to a client: "while in S+ mode, depressing the throttle the first 20% of travel causes a reaction as though you had depressed it maybe ~35%. And depressing it 60% down is comparable to pressing it 100% full-throttle in regular drive mode." [total guesstimates] but that seems to make sense.
Thank you for the insight. To clarify my question, I am planning to push Sport+ even before attempting to start the passing maneuver, just in case. .

I wish they added the Sport+ button on the steering wheel like Ferrari...
Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by kgclark
Interesting point on "feel faster" aspect, especially for the "S". Considering this is a Porsche, I thing the Sport Chrono is a much more valuable option to add than let's say Bose, and cheaper too.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to get it. But reading this thread, honestly I think you would really enjoy it. When making these kinds of decisions if it's something you think you might regret not getting, don't risk it. It's really about the personal individual build concept. There's a lot of nice options that don't feed into that and that's where you compromise on price point. But stay true to your vision. IMO
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
sebis
Racer

Thanks Buck!

Read this:
Verdict

If having the ultimate is what matters, then the Porsche Macan Turbo is the model for you. But, it's worth considering whether you really need it. The standard Macan S with the Sport Chrono pack and the PASM active suspension fitted will feel almost identical from behind the wheel. You're sacrificing a bit of performance but you're also saving a lot of cash in the process, and you'll still end up with the best-handling compact SUV on the road.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...#ixzz2t84gUPU7
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Old Tiger
2nd Gear

Thanks Sebis. This is why I chose SC for my S. Now it is just more painful to wait.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True confessions...just added sport chrono and pasm to the build for my wife's Macan S
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 208 Posts

I did not add this to my Turbo spec. My thoughts after reading this and other threads on the SC option, while it sounds like a nice option to have, not sure how much practical utility I'd get from it.

The PCM additions & launch control- prob play with them a few times, and never use again. The clock on the dash, is this nicer than the standard? Sport Plus is already available with PASM, but paired with the SC option, appears to transform the drive. However, some have stated it would be uncomfortable and overkill for normal street driving.

Sport mode is great in the Cayenne, and I only have a V6. I can't imagine what Sport Plus w SC would do in a Macan Turbo.

I guess I don't know what I don't know...
Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slwong23
I did not add this to my Turbo spec. My thoughts after reading this and other threads on the SC option, while it sounds like a nice option to have, not sure how much practical utility I'd get from it.

The PCM additions & launch control- prob play with them a few times, and never use again. The clock on the dash, is this nicer than the standard? Sport Plus is already available with PASM, but paired with the SC option, appears to transform the drive. However, some have stated it would be uncomfortable and overkill for normal street driving.

Sport mode is great in the Cayenne, and I only have a V6. I can't imagine what Sport Plus w SC would do in a Macan Turbo.

I guess I don't know what I don't know...
options that materially effect the performance are really highly subjective, so I think the best advice you can obtain wrt selecting them, or not, is basically you
need to test drive a vehicle with/without the option...

some people (like myself) will swear that specifying a car without Sports Chrono, PCCB, PDCC, etc etc is a HUGE mistake, and other will swear that adding such options are either a total waste of money or will result in a
horrible ride, or something you wont be able to sell or monetize later.

at the end of the day, its your money and your car, get the most car you can afford and enjoy it ...

having said that, PASM+air sounds like a must have, as IMO does Sports Chrono (and PCCB when it becomes available)

YMMV
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
options that materially effect the performance are really highly subjective, so I think the best advice you can obtain wrt selecting them, or not, is basically you
need to test drive a vehicle with/without the option...

some people (like myself) will swear that specifying a car without Sports Chrono, PCCB, PDCC, etc etc is a HUGE mistake, and other will swear that adding such options are either a total waste of money or will result in a
horrible ride, or something you wont be able to sell or monetize later.

at the end of the day, its your money and your car, get the most car you can afford and enjoy it ...

having said that, PASM+air sounds like a must have, as IMO does Sports Chrono (and PCCB when it becomes available)

YMMV
I think you raise great points. Most options are highly subjective, I guess I'm trying to talk myself into adding it.

PASM+AS are on my spec, PDCC & PCCB as you know aren't available. From all accounts on the Cayenne forums, all are must haves. But with the aforementioned options, those all impact the daily drive. Sports Chrono is a feature that must be turned on, and even then, it sounds like it isn't suitable for daily driving.

All that said, I enjoy reading the different perspectives and by no means am I trying to be argumentative. All of this very informative and helps my decision making process.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slwong23
I think you raise great points. Most options are highly subjective, I guess I'm trying to talk myself into adding it.

PASM+AS are on my spec, PDCC & PCCB as you know aren't available. From all accounts on the Cayenne forums, all are must haves. But with the aforementioned options, those all impact the daily drive. Sports Chrono is a feature that must be turned on, and even then, it sounds like it isn't suitable for daily driving.

All that said, I enjoy reading the different perspectives and by no means am I trying to be argumentative. All of this very informative and helps my decision making process.
completely agree about subjectivity ... on most if not all options ...

from the review sounds like PASM+air might obviate PDCC on the Macan ... I believe PCCB will come eventually since I saw a couple of reports with pictures of the rotors/calipers etc...

I think you should certainly get PASM+air as for SC, if you get it and you dont like it ... dont push the button!

enjoy!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM
PSC
Instructor

If no sports exhaust fitted does Sports Chrono still improve the exhaust note?

Press articles imply yes assuming Press cars don't have sports exhaust?

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono, is it worth it?