Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I personally never liked the rear modifications since the 955. Same goes for the 911`s since the same era. I think they need to fire the rear end designers.
There is no such thing as a rear end designer. Just one designer doing the exterior if his design is chosen among 20 other designers. Chief designer Michael Mauer is also responsible for the new 991, Cayenne, Panamera, and the beautiful concept wagon. I do have to agree with you the 955 rear looks better than the current Cayenne.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTD
If anyone is selling their 955 Cayenne Turbo in anticipation of the Macan, let me know. I haven't bought one yet.
There are lots of those for sale over here for a song. These are real bargains in comparison to what was paid retail. Is it the same your way?

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I would get the SQ5 over the Macan. The Audi 3.0 engine has been around for a while and had gotten a lot of praise.
SQ5 with the 230kw diesel is an awesome car and, very well priced. Macan will need to possess the same interior qualities of Cayenne along with better than Q5 performance to justify the higher price tag that's for sure or i'd be taking a Q5 as well.

Originally Posted by bansasn
There is no such thing as a rear end designer. Just one designer doing the exterior if his design is chosen among 20 other designers. Chief designer Michael Mauer is also responsible for the new 991, Cayenne, Panamera, and the beautiful concept wagon. I do have to agree with you the 955 rear looks better than the current Cayenne.
Thats true. But regardless of who was involved they could have done better with the lights at least. Thats not to say its rear is that bad, in fact it's quite ok so far as SUV's go. I think the 958 is a pretty good looking SUV in the right colour and wheels. If i didn't i wouldn't be buying one.

On the 955.....well you'd definitely be in the minority. But to each his own. I think it 955 was one of those designs that enticed a lot of negative criticism and was at best referred to as "OK" by very few on its day, but today she's really starting to look rather droopy lol especially alongside 958....and the critics of 955 have become far more hurtful.....well... from what i've heard anyway. Dare i repeat some of the remarks....yikes...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This stuff really is subjective. I honestly think the 958 (not that i wont own one at some point) looks generic and designed to fit a product slot and sell and lacks character. I think the previous designs have more character. It's hard to fault the interior of the 958 which looks way more modern than the 955/957 but the exterior design language is milquetoast to me. I WANT to like it but EVERY single time I see one in the wild (and that is often living near the bay area) I get a softy.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 958, but I'm mixed on it's looks. I like it over the 955/957, but I don't like what the visual changes do to it's utility (e.g. I like the look of the sloped rear, but I'd rather have the lost space). I also think it looks like every other "high end" Asian SUV. Even if I got rid of all the dogs (I can hope...) I still won't touch a Macan because they appear to have continued cutting the Utility out of the SUV.

My problem with the look of the old versions is that it looks like they went down the street to Merc and used the G as their basis and then tried to make it look like the 996 (though I am one of the rare fans of the original 996 look). To me the 958 feels more like they designed the bodywork to be Porsche from the ground up. It just flows better in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 958 Posts

I like things about both. I do prefer the rear end of the 955 over all the other Cayennes. That being said, I am planning to buy a new Cayenne and I prefer the front end and the interior of the 958. I was just noticing the other day that my Cayenne and my 996 share many design features and they compliment each other nicely.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Power output is too low.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

If I still have race car towing aspirations when Macan is released, Cayenne is it. Otherwise, I will welcome a more compact car to DD like a Macan or a 911.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Power output is too low.
That simply is the bottom line for me as well. You get used to the power.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

The only reason I have my Cayenne is for the occasional race car towing duty. The Macan doesn't cut it for that. Once I am ready to step up to that Dually and gooseneck trailer that gas guzzling pig is gone
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my 04 CTT for many years and found myself strangely content. So much so that nothing out, or coming out, seems to be worth the price "just to have something new"!

I've driven the new CTT and its very nice, as I'm sure the Macan will be too. Just not nice enough, yet, to make me spend the money.

When the first Cayennes came out there was literally no competition new or used. So it felt more worth the buy in price.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
I've had my 04 CTT for many years and found myself strangely content. So much so that nothing out, or coming out, seems to be worth the price "just to have something new"!

I've driven the new CTT and its very nice, as I'm sure the Macan will be too. Just not nice enough, yet, to make me spend the money.

When the first Cayennes came out there was literally no competition new or used. So it felt more worth the buy in price.
It is hard to beat a well depreciated ultra luxury vehicle, especially under CPO. Some of my absolute favorites on the this new list

http://jalopnik.com/5982789/the-most...urce=pulsenews
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" I do have to agree with you the 955 rear looks better than the current Cayenne"
+1

I Would also take an SQ5 over a Macan.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

macan? LOL
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that ^^^ right there pretty much kills it (along with comment #36).

And as far as the 955 vs 958 looks go, while I still can't stand 958's derrière, the rest of the car (inside & out and especially inside) is miles ahead of the 955. Kind of hard to look at the original P!Gs now.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Yes, that ^^^ right there pretty much kills it (along with comment #36).

And as far as the 955 vs 958 looks go, while I still can't stand 958's derrière, the rest of the car (inside & out and especially inside) is miles ahead of the 955. Kind of hard to look at the original P!Gs now.
That's why I'm trying to keep mine REALLY shiny. From the nose to the rear wheel wells, the new ones look gorgeous. Mine looks great as long as it looks new. It gets dirty and it shows its age. I don't want to spent $100k on account of dirt though. I'll fight the urge as long as I can.

Quick Reply: How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan?