Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I just couldn't resist. But honestly I like the looks of the 955/957 cayennes a fair deal better.. So I'm hoping the macan will be less Korean looking in the rear than the 958. I'm sure the macan will be a sporty little thing. Still the 958 is a brilliant car so don't fret!
I personally never liked the rear modifications since the 955. Same goes for the 911`s since the same era. I think they need to fire the rear end designers.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ive seen the engine specs and prices for the macan, and doesn't make much sense to me..

base macan is like 7-8k less than base cayenne.. i'm sorry but i'd rather have the larger cayenne for that small of a difference... also the base macan engine is a 4cyl...

4cyl small SUV or add 10% and get a 6cyl average size sUV.

the cayenne update comes out same time as macan release... so will be interesting, i'm doing cayenne for sure.. thought about macan but it would need to start 35k to make any sense to me.. not above 40...

may 2014 for macan
june 2014 for cayenne (smart)

the cayenne S drops v8 for TT 90* version of the v6

the macan is 4cyl turbo, 6cyl and 6cyl turbo.

could make more sense to those who option cayenne's heavily, then again wouldn't those same people option their macan heavily.. which would make less sense on a cheaper vehicle.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I personally never liked the rear modifications since the 955. Same goes for the 911`s since the same era. I think they need to fire the rear end designers.
Agree someone needs to be speared for signing off on the Korean tail lights. It makes you wonder what they were thinking. But i do think the rear of 958, as ordinary as it is, is an improvement over 955. Maybe they should poach some of Kia's design team and shake it up a bit. At least that way if the next one looks Korean there will be a logical excuse.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:49 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by rijowysock
ive seen the engine specs and prices for the macan, and doesn't make much sense to me..

base macan is like 7-8k less than base cayenne.. i'm sorry but i'd rather have the larger cayenne for that small of a difference... also the base macan engine is a 4cyl...

the cayenne update comes out same time as macan release... so will be interesting, i'm doing cayenne for sure.. thought about macan but it would need to start 35k to make any sense to me.. not above 40...

may 2014 for macan

could make more sense to those who option cayenne's heavily, then again wouldn't those same people option their macan heavily.. which would make less sense on a cheaper vehicle.
And agree bigger is always seen as somehow "better" and more "prestigeous" in an SUV. This may prove to be Cayennes main saving grace. But dont underestimate the 6 cyl and TDI 6 engines. Power to weight is where its all at, and these engines, particularly the TDI at 230 kw and 650nms will be a real animal.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

may 2014 for macan

Riley,
Any info on the towing capacity of the proposed TT V6 in the Cayenne S?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 894 Posts

The Cayenne has been a good size for us. That being said, my kids are grown and my youngest will be off to college this fall. A smaller vehicle might be just right for us. We still need to occasionally haul dogs and haul ski gear, but we won't use the back seats very much. If it has enough space, one of the things that might prevent us from buying a Macan is the seating position. My wife likes the higher seating position of the Cayenne compared to a regular car. If the Macan is too low, we will go with another Cayenne.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't the Macan's true base platform the VW Golf, which was given crossover sheetmetal to become the Tiguan, which was gussied up with leather, wheels and insulation to become the Q5?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
BOOSTD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is selling their 955 Cayenne Turbo in anticipation of the Macan, let me know. I haven't bought one yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Riley,
Any info on the towing capacity of the proposed TT V6 in the Cayenne S?
i can make a call. a friend of mine works for porsche engineering side in germany.

for towing, id say get the new "diesel S" TD v8 4.2L... thing will tow like nobodies business..
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTD
If anyone is selling their 955 Cayenne Turbo in anticipation of the Macan, let me know. I haven't bought one yet.
The Q3 is built on the Tiguan > golf platform. But the Macan will be built on the Q5 platform which is Audi MLP which is newer and shared with the A5 coupe.

So fortunately it isn't super low rent.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
The Q3 is built on the Tiguan > golf platform. But the Macan will be built on the Q5 platform which is Audi MLP which is newer and shared with the A5 coupe.

So fortunately it isn't super low rent.
I stand corrected! I still wouldn't be interested but it wouldn't surprise me to see more Macans sold than Q5s.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Looking forward to the Macan.
Not replacing our Cayenne, but replacing the Lexus RX.

Want something a bit smaller than the Cayenne, but want the Porsche experience.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

I probably will but I will wait a few years and let them stop using plastic cooling pipes first.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would get the SQ5 over the Macan. The Audi 3.0 engine has been around for a while and had gotten a lot of praise.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the new S4 Audi that has basically the same supercharged motor that the SQ5 will have. It's a powerful, lightweight motor that would be great in the Macan. Gobs of power at any RPM level.

I won't sell our Cayenne S, as my wife likes it's size and the higher-up driving position. But I will also get a Macan if it has a decent motor. In fact, I already have the license plate "Macan S" on my Mini Cooper in anticipation of the new car.

Quick Reply: How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan?