Macan 2014-Current

Porsche vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2024, 09:30 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Porsche vs BMW

Every time look at Macans (and Cayennes) I have concluded that they don't really compete with the BMW X3 and X5. Due to their limited storage, I believe they are actually competitors with the X4 and X6 which are similarly constrained. While all of these vehicles are great to drive, an SUV should also have exceptional storage capacity or why not get a wagon/estate. Hopefully the next generations of Macan and Cayenne will remedy this issue.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (Yesterday)
Old 09-28-2024, 11:21 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Some would say the BMW X3 and X5 have gotten too big and have sacrificed handling as a result. I've owned 3 X5's and a 4 or 5 3-series sedans, and the Macan is perfect. It's big enough that I can fold my rear seats down and throw my road bike in the back, and small enough that it feels like a sport sedan. When I first got it, I thought the cabin was very small (coming from an Acura RDX), but I love it more and more every time I get in it.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
While all of these vehicles are great to drive, an SUV should also have exceptional storage capacity or why not get a wagon/estate.
Storage capacity is something very unique to each use case, I think you will find that most who have the Macan find it just the right amount to keep the vehicle as small as possible for the best performance, as mentioned in the post above.

I like it over a wagon because you can have more ground clearance for better all terrain abilities, and a higher ride height / seating position without sacrificing aesthetics or handling performance. Even if I don't use it much for off-road needs, I always like the ability to easily drive over a curb/median should there be a need for an immediate u-turn or reroute due to road hazards.

I like the smaller size of the vehicle, coupled with the option to run larger tires (for comfort/off-roading) or wheels that you couldnt comfortably fit on a wagon (without rubber-band tires), to suit the needs of the owner.

In my case I've really stretched the versatility by having two sets of wheels, a 21" set for looks and performance and a 20" set with larger Cayenne tires for maximum comfort and all-terrain abilities. Those really help the vehicle hug both spectrums much more than a wagon ever could.

Last edited by BMinSFL; Yesterday at 05:29 AM.
Butzi (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I've had more SUV's than I want to list. The Macan fits my current needs perfectly. If I need something bigger or for nasty jobs I can use my "beater" MDX.
Just buy whatever fits your requirements. If the Cayenne is too small there are plenty of alternatives on the market. Don't expect them to provide a great driving experience.
Butzi (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Macan is indeed too small for its class. Rear seating area has a pitifully low amount of knee room and the cockpit is claustrophobic for anyone 5'10" and taller. Instruments are too close to the seat when seat is adjusted for proper hip-to-pedals distance. Hip room in the cockpit is too narrow with non-sport seats from console to door trim, for people with "healthy" BMI and low body fat %. Summary: the car is too small.

X3 is spacious as is the GLC.

X5 is the least spacious in the class, compared with GLE and Cayenne.
jmrichards (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 55 Posts

To me, this whole conversation kind of misses the mark. There are no divinely ordained minimum dimensions required to qualify as an "SUV". The Macan is exactly what it is. If it's too small for you, then buy something else!

Along the same lines, I've sat in a bunch of 911s and I find the footwell too confining for me. The 911 fits like a glove, but it would just be too tight for me on a longer drive. Would I then tell you that the 911 isn't a good sports car? That Porsche got the dimensions wrong? Of course not. It's just not for me.

I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds and I'm on my second Macan -- a base model which I later upgraded to an S. For me, it's perfect! I recently drove from Denver Colorado to Glacier Montana and then British Columbia and back with a good buddy. What a great vehicle for an epic 3,000-mile road trip!

Fortunately, there's a lot of competition out there. I have owned three BMWs as well, and they're great too.

James
Denver, CO

Last edited by JDailey; Yesterday at 10:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDailey:
///Bruce (Yesterday), chassis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought a X7 recently but can't have it delivered due to the recall.....2 months and going. Seemed big on the test drive but still smaller than my full sized American SUV.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,650 Posts

I bought my Macans specifically because they are small. I was tired of driving bloated ill-handling SUVs. I installed roof racks, if I need to haul stuff I just strap it up there. I don't care if the rear seats are cramped. I am either driving or in the passenger seat.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
Butzi (Yesterday), DR_DFW (Today), Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 114 Posts

These are CUVs, not SUVs. There are real SUVs for people who go off road or need greater ground clearance + towing capacity. I have daily driven my Land Cruiser with 33" tires and I can't tell you how overkill that is, and 12 mpg...
A Macan is a sophisticated hot hatchback, imo. I'd guess a Cayenne has comparable cargo capacity of a station wagon but many people prefer the higher driving position vs wagons.
I'm 6'1" 250, built like a linebacker. I test drove a few Macans and never felt squished. In fact, I bought my elderly mother a new MB GLC and can't stand getting into it. Hope she prefers my Macan GTS I'm picking up so we can get rid of that god awful center screen GLC nonsense.

I can't stand BMW drivers in the Bay Area, so I would never buy one.

The Macan will be the perfect get around car with a bit extra storage space vs a 911. Having a multi-car garage is a privilege I'm happy to afford.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,101 Posts

In summary it seems most comments agree with the OP that the Macan doesn't compete well with X3 on the aspect of interior space.
jmrichards (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
por356
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi
These are CUVs, not SUVs. There are real SUVs for people who go off road or need greater ground clearance + towing capacity. I have daily driven my Land Cruiser with 33" tires and I can't tell you how overkill that is, and 12 mpg...
A Macan is a sophisticated hot hatchback, imo. I'd guess a Cayenne has comparable cargo capacity of a station wagon but many people prefer the higher driving position vs wagons.
I'm 6'1" 250, built like a linebacker. I test drove a few Macans and never felt squished. In fact, I bought my elderly mother a new MB GLC and can't stand getting into it. Hope she prefers my Macan GTS I'm picking up so we can get rid of that god awful center screen GLC nonsense.

I can't stand BMW drivers in the Bay Area, so I would never buy one.

The Macan will be the perfect get around car with a bit extra storage space vs a 911. Having a multi-car garage is a privilege I'm happy to afford.
Thought I might miss my 992, but my GTS fills the sports car needs plus I can make Costco runs in it.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
In summary it seems most comments agree with the OP that the Macan doesn't compete well with X3 on the aspect of interior space.
And some of us don't want the Macan to compete with the X3.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
And some of us don't want the Macan to compete with the X3.
I mean... if we continue to follow this chain of logic, the Macan doesn't compete well with the Kia Sportage on the aspect of interior space. If interior space is ones only criteria for evaluating vehicles, then a Sprinter Van is the only logical choice!
The following 3 users liked this post by jobunaga:
Butzi (Yesterday), Carlo_Carrera (Yesterday), chassis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jobunaga
I mean... if we continue to follow this chain of logic, the Macan doesn't compete well with the Kia Sportage on the aspect of interior space. If interior space is ones only criteria for evaluating vehicles, then a Sprinter Van is the only logical choice!
I think the point of this thread was...pointless.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
MyToy
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I bought my Macans specifically because they are small. I was tired of driving bloated ill-handling SUVs. I installed roof racks, if I need to haul stuff I just strap it up there. I don't care if the rear seats are cramped. I am either driving or in the passenger seat.
Agreed. Traded in my 4runner for a Macan and haven't looked back since. Thrilled with the 28mpg and competent handling in the deer infested twisties without the constant fear of rolling the vehicle. And most important, the car is simply just beautiful. Test drove BMW X1 and X3 and hated the digital everything dash--did not feel the build quality of these BMW's (even optioned to the nines) was anything close to my Porsche.
Butzi (Yesterday)