Macan 2014-Current

2017 Macan Turbo PP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 05:17 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Xattica
Then, even many members are cool about the 2015-19 Macans, is not worth it? No matter how good the previous owner maintenance?
Maintenance doesn't fix engineering mistakes made by Porsche.

Broken fasteners and resulting oil leaks are not the result of owner use case or owner maintenance practice. It's a fail made by Porsche. Avoid the 3.0/3.6TTV6 cold vee engine. It's a niche low volume short lifecycle engine. It contains engineering mistakes by Porsche and was not tested and developed to the same extent as a high volume long lifecycle engine, for example the EA888 2.0 4-cylinder.

Short lifecycle engines usually are a signal that the car company knows they put rotten fruit on the shelf. MB has done the same with the M274/264/254 lineage of failed 2.0L 4-cylinder engines. Each of them are genetically related and each have major design flaws.

Last edited by chassis; 08-04-2024 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:09 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

*Sigh*

10 years after its introduction we have yet to see widespread reports of engine failure in *any* Macan. Many owners are now well over 100K miles and the engines are holding up just fine with normal maintenance.

Yes, there was a TSB regarding the timing chain cover which in some cases resulted in a minor oil leak. The fix is done under warranty and requires replacing a total of 2 bolts. It’s a very straightforward fix and you can probably do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and have a torque wrench.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draper:
///Bruce (08-04-2024), FRUNKenstein (08-12-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:18 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Draper
*Sigh*

10 years after its introduction we have yet to see widespread reports of engine failure in *any* Macan. Many owners are now well over 100K miles and the engines are holding up just fine with normal maintenance.

Yes, there was a TSB regarding the timing chain cover which in some cases resulted in a minor oil leak. The fix is done under warranty and requires replacing a total of 2 bolts. It’s a very straightforward fix and you can probably do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and have a torque wrench.
google oil leak macan
search rennlist oil leak macan
avoid any 2018 and prior V6 macan
Old 08-04-2024, 08:02 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
google oil leak macan
search rennlist oil leak macan
avoid any 2018 and prior V6 macan
So what?!?!?!? My TCC started leaking between 25K and 30K. I know this to be true because I change the oil and filter every 5K myself. The engine was pulled at 30K because that's when I found it. Subsequently it went right into the shop. It was done the right way. I'm over 80K miles now. ZERO leaks. None! So please don't rattle off a bunch of trash talk regarding this engine and tell US to go find s$it on it. The engine is solid. It was "assembled" incorrectly at the onset. As as others have pointed out gthe reason this ever happened in the first place was never truly identified. Problem found; problem resolved. You don't like the engine? Don't buy one.

Wrench drop...

Old 08-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
So what?!?!?!? My TCC started leaking between 25K and 30K. I know this to be true because I change the oil and filter every 5K myself. The engine was pulled at 30K because that's when I found it. Subsequently it went right into the shop. It was done the right way. I'm over 80K miles now. ZERO leaks. None! So please don't rattle off a bunch of trash talk regarding this engine and tell US to go find s$it on it. The engine is solid. It was "assembled" incorrectly at the onset. As as others have pointed out gthe reason this ever happened in the first place was never truly identified. Problem found; problem resolved. You don't like the engine? Don't buy one.
I am not sure I understand your post. You are admitting your engine sprung an oil leak at 30k miles and was pulled to be repaired. How is that acceptable or a defense against chassis' statement?
chassis (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 12:25 AM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I am not sure I understand your post. You are admitting your engine sprung an oil leak at 30k miles and was pulled to be repaired. How is that acceptable or a defense against chassis' statement?
In early cases Porsche was in fact pulling the engine to fix, but only a small percentage of cars had the issue. When they came up with the better 2 bolt solution they simply performed it on all Macans as a warranty item.

My Macan Turbo (3.6L) has never leaked oil and has had the 2 bolt fix.

Anyways, some minor oil seepage is a far cry from the 'ticking time bomb' references from earlier in this thread.
FRUNKenstein (08-12-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 09:31 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Originally Posted by Draper
In early cases Porsche was in fact pulling the engine to fix, but only a small percentage of cars had the issue. When they came up with the better 2 bolt solution they simply performed it on all Macans as a warranty item.

My Macan Turbo (3.6L) has never leaked oil and has had the 2 bolt fix.

Anyways, some minor oil seepage is a far cry from the 'ticking time bomb' references from earlier in this thread.
Thank you! At my mileage I’ve driven all around the southeast for years. Never have I had a problem with my “hand grenade” engine.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:44 AM
///Bruce
Pro

It never failed. It never stopped running. It never blew up. Never made weird noises or knocks. No engine warning lights. No loss of power. Nothing. The problem was resolved. It my case, becaue it was done years ago and the leak was new to Porsche, they decided that the Macan being the money maker back then for the brand, they wanted to make it right. They had to look good. It was a Porsche. So, again back then, they decided to drop the engine out from underneath. Years later, there was and now is a 2-bolt fix. Easy for the dealership mechanic to make a few extra bucks (hey dude, you got an oil leak) or a handy guy can do it himself. So, I'm still having trouble understanding what you understand about what I understand.

In other words, who cares.....

Old 08-06-2024, 08:32 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

That's a nifty-looking Macan in that picture...but I don't think the center caps are factory issue...
///Bruce (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 12:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
It never failed. It never stopped running. It never blew up. Never made weird noises or knocks. No engine warning lights. No loss of power. Nothing. The problem was resolved. It my case, becaue it was done years ago and the leak was new to Porsche, they decided that the Macan being the money maker back then for the brand, they wanted to make it right. They had to look good. It was a Porsche. So, again back then, they decided to drop the engine out from underneath. Years later, there was and now is a 2-bolt fix. Easy for the dealership mechanic to make a few extra bucks (hey dude, you got an oil leak) or a handy guy can do it himself. So, I'm still having trouble understanding what you understand about what I understand.

In other words, who cares.....
You had the engine pulled for the leak to be repaired. In what world do you think most folks would not consider that a big problem?
Old 08-06-2024, 01:03 PM
///Bruce
Pro

You had the engine pulled for the leak to be repaired. In what world do you think most folks would not consider that a big problem?
Those that know Porsche would do whatever is needed to make it right. Even if it required, at that time, a weeks worth of labor to correct not a mechanical problem as it relates to the engine, but an oil leak. The client, me, was given a new loaner for the week and was not charged $.01. Further, while the engine was out they swapped my plugs for me and again, no charge. Remember this happened at 30,000 miles. Oh yeah. Almost forgot. They replaced a faulty A/C line while in there. No charge. I might suggest a new crusade for something else.

Got an idea for you. Transfer cases. There. Go start new thread about those. It’ll all be yours. In your own words. Go get em tiger 🐯
Old 08-06-2024, 01:07 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

It's irrelevant at this point since the current preventative maintenance and/or repair from Porsche does not require pulling the engine. IE Someone looking to buy a used Macan today does not have to worry about whether they need to pay for the engine to be pulled or not.

Since its introduction in 2015 the Macan has been Porsche's top selling model. If there were major issues we would be seeing thousands of reports, but these reports do not exist because the Macan has proved to be a solid and reliable car.

If you want to know what widespread engine pulling actually is, look no further than the 2015-2016 GT3.
FRUNKenstein (08-12-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 01:43 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I believe I mentioned that during a slow selling period for Porsche, this vehicle saved them and actually became a big source of revenue over the years and its variations. It was a small SUV that came stock with AWD, pretty good MPG, great seating and a beautiful PDK regardless of a Base up to a PP. Brilliant! And it was now something people could actually afford. "A Porsche! I own a Porsche!" as they drove off the showroom floor.

And yeah. I still love mine too. It was my first Porsche... Hard core BMW guy once
Old 08-06-2024, 02:11 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

There's a lot of opinion in this thread, and some facts too. Let me try a few things to see if I've got this right.

The Gen1 Macans (through 18) came with Porsche engineered "cold v" turbo engines for the v6s.
These engines are relatively low production compared to higher scale VWAG engines. But, we shouldn't turn our noses up at them just because of low volume. Think Metzger, think Ferrari. Low volume doesn't mean bad.
These engines have known oil leak issues and Porsche has a fix.
Nearly every engine ever made will eventually leak oil. Not what I'd personally view as catastrophic. Ours had the "cheap fix" and has been fine. Every audi we've owned (quite a few) have leaked oil.
One guy on the forum had some bolts back out of a cam chain tensioner. That's scary. But... One guy.

The 18+ Macans are all VWAG powered.
Ignoring the 4cyl: they are all Hot v
Hot v turbos are known to cook pipes over time and generally be a PITA from a servicing POV
Lots of Youtube videos with issues with the 3.0 single turbo and 2.9 TT Hot v "Audi" engines. Search "VAG Technic" on Youtube and buckle in. AMAZING channel and put me off of buying an RS car with the 2.9TT and frankly any Porsche with that engine. That or the 3.0 single turbo.

Again, in regular use, are any of us going to see issues, maybe now. But, the crapping on teh early Porsche v6s seems unwarranted from the "glass house" that is the hot-v turbo engine family. Want more fun, search for horror stories with the VWAG Hot-v 4L v8. Again, heat and plastic: bad.

Oh, and our transmissions are ACTUALLY ticking time bombs

But, the cars are lovely. We just bought an extended warranty for some peace of mind. Seems folks here *might* be trying to make themselves feel better and/or justify their purchase choice. Not cool to throw stones -- especially in glass houses.
Old 08-06-2024, 02:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stiles_s
...One guy on the forum had some bolts back out of a cam chain tensioner. That's scary. But... One guy....
Sorry, three people of this forum have had bolts back out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/13...l#post19563937

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 08-06-2024 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan Turbo PP