Macan 2014-Current

2025 Macan S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 05:32 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts
Default 2025 Macan S vs GTS

I’m driving a 992 C2S Cabrio for fun and I’m looking to replace my DD BMW M240 with a Macan. Is the GTS worth the upgrade over the S? And what about availability these days? I see plenty of Base Macan on dealer lots, few S and even fewer GTS. Are allocations a big problem for both S and GTS or more an issue for the GTS? What about ADM on either? I’m familiar with the 911 market.
Thanks for some guidance.
Old 07-13-2024, 06:53 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Coming from a 911, you may want the GTS level of performance. For me, the S was plenty, but I was coming from a BMW X3 n/a 3.0 inline six, followed by an Audi Q5, and then a base Macan. I'm not sure the extra power is meaningful on public roads, so that wouldn't be the key decision driver for me personally. I think the bigger question is whether you want all of the other GTS bells and whistles like air suspension, Alcantara steering wheel, the GTS seats, etc. Personally, I prefer a more understated look. Where I live, the Macan S feels flashy enough. But if I were in Palm Beach or LA, that might be a different story...
As for availability, I found my Macan S on the lot spec'd exactly as I'd have done it from the factory. Walked in, traded my 2020 base Macan, paid MSRP. Done on the spot. But I was definitely checking out dealer lots from Colorado Springs up to Denver for 6-9 months beforehand looking to see what became available. Reading that the ICE Macan will be deprecated in favor of EV only, I jumped on it. Given the low population density and large distances of CO, UT, WY, NM, etc. I don't think the charging infrastructure will be truly reliable and ubiquitous for quite some time. So I intend to keep my Macan S for at least ten years. Then we'll see...

James
Denver, CO

The following 4 users liked this post by JDailey:
German1967 (07-13-2024), Penstamin (Yesterday), RobC4sX51 (Today), Track Junkie (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 11:33 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Personally, I think the Macan S is the best value in the range. The GTS' air suspension standard is nice, but performance-wise you get 60 more HP, but only 20 more lb/ft of torque... which is the more important number for our speed-regulated roads here in the US. There are some nice visual features that the GTS Sport Package adds, like the carbon interior trim, black side mirrors and side blades, but you can add that to the S also. For performance, you can get an aftermarket throttle map, like ROAR Pedal for a few hundred dollars that will likely bring performance of the S up to GTS standards (except top speed, of course).
The following users liked this post:
Llarry (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Having the 911, I think you will be very satisfied with the S, We are about to order a 2025, which will be our 3rd Macan S (This one will have to last a LONG time as it is getting to the end of the ICE Macans)
German1967 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

It's all depending on your must-have option list.
If you're a person who must have Sport exhaust, air suspension, sport seats, etc., get GTS. as a lot of performance oriented options come as standard. it's cheaper than adding all that in S and retain value better.
But if you're looking for comfy fast ride for daily use, get S with whatever options you must have. cheaper and still plenty fast and enjoyable ride.
RobC4sX51 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a 2022 S - that I leased off the showroom - then ordered a 2023 GTS - both served as DD - The GTS was $25k more MSRP than the S - but it had everything on it I wanted. The S was a very nice SUV and would have been a fine DD - but the GTS is more of a passion version of the same vehicle. I was not sad to see the S go - the GTS I would be sad to see go. If you have the budget I would get the GTS. Below is a link to thread on my initial impressions - there are trade offs, but now have 31k on the GTS and have no regrets of making the change.

link: https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/13...ly-review.html

Last edited by supercup; Yesterday at 04:34 PM.
German1967 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

If you're looking for a DD just to get you from point A to point B, the S (or better yet a base model) would work fine. If you want something a bit more sporty, something you wouldn't mind taking out just for a drive, the GTS is the way to go.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
It's all depending on your must-have option list.
If you're a person who must have Sport exhaust, air suspension, sport seats, etc., get GTS. as a lot of performance oriented options come as standard. it's cheaper than adding all that in S and retain value better.
But if you're looking for comfy fast ride for daily use, get S with whatever options you must have. cheaper and still plenty fast and enjoyable ride.
Don't forget the brakes. PSCBs come standard on the GTS and they are outstanding when hauling down 4000+ lbs to a stop.
NickS (Today)
Old Today, 02:55 AM
crikett
AutoX

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through this question myself recently (have about another 30 days to wait until my new Macan arrives). I decided on an S, as I did not want the eventual cost of dealing with air suspension failures, and both dynos and real world comparisons seem to suggest that the difference between these two in terms of engine output is closer (and that, other than ECU tune, they appear to be the same). That said, the GTS incudes a lot of nice upgrades, and additional options that aren't on the S. If these things matter to you or are things you would add to an S, then the GTS is the much better path. Likewise, if you simply want the highest trim level, with the "most," then it is the GTS. Additionally, while Macan values don't keep pace with Porsche sports cars, the higher the trim level, the more likely you are to see less depreciation; not going to be a big difference, but there will be some.

GTS allocations are harder to get, though I did have an offer of 4% under MSRP for a GTS allocation that was about 5-6 months out. S allocations are more common, though worth calling multiple dealers, as some dealers have little to nothing available (others may have ones coming up very soon that are not yet spoken for... at least that was my experience once I had settled on exactly what I wanted).
Old Today, 09:51 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Don't forget the brakes. PSCBs come standard on the GTS and they are outstanding when hauling down 4000+ lbs to a stop.
Also the fact that there is ZERO brake dust to contend with is well worth upcharge IMO. The lack of brake dust on the wheels and calipers is awesome. Truly awesome not having to worry about that making my weekly wash a PITA.

Quick Reply: 2025 Macan S vs GTS