Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Current Macan owners not interested in a Macan EV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 04:57 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalz1
No sport chrono. It is dog slow, and you have to mash and hold to get it to kick down. Was almost dangerous a couple times. The Sport helps, but I don't drive with it most of the time, and then if you have to make a move and mash it, it will go a bit quicker and fail to upshift and just hold annoyingly loud high rpm unless I hit the up paddle. It blows. I wonder if disconnecting the battery will allow it to "relearn" driving style. I bought it used recently. I drive fairly sedately, but when I need to punch it, I punch it.

A tune when warranty expires.
I would get that checked out, my 2021 is lightning fast. You can add Sport Chrono which is another level of quickess but Sport is generally my choice. Even in regular, its good enough with sufficient pedal input.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:03 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I DD a 2023 GTS - very happy with it. No EV to date has interested me, due to range and lack of infastructure. I did drive a Taycan and it is a nice car and could be a good DD to add use of carpool lane - for now I will stick with ICE cars and trucks.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalz1
No sport chrono. It is dog slow, and you have to mash and hold to get it to kick down. Was almost dangerous a couple times. The Sport helps, but I don't drive with it most of the time, and then if you have to make a move and mash it, it will go a bit quicker and fail to upshift and just hold annoyingly loud high rpm unless I hit the up paddle. It blows. I wonder if disconnecting the battery will allow it to "relearn" driving style. I bought it used recently. I drive fairly sedately, but when I need to punch it, I punch it.

A tune when warranty expires.
Is it a base Macan?

I’ve read about an after market product called “Pedal Commander”. Almost went for it but we just put it in Sport when we want a more instant response. Or press the boost button which gives elevated boost for 20 seconds. My husband likes to use boost on the highway, but I just mash it if I need to. It always shifts down quickly and responds. I drive sedately most of the time, and don’t mind the “regular’ drive mode. I only use Sport if I have to cross a busy intersection or want to “dial out” the lag. I hear Pedal Commander does exactly that (reduce lag time when adding throttle). Ours is a ‘2021 GTS.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:03 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Is it a base Macan?

I’ve read about an after market product called “Pedal Commander”. Almost went for it but we just put it in Sport when we want a more instant response. Or press the boost button which gives elevated boost for 20 seconds. My husband likes to use boost on the highway, but I just mash it if I need to. It always shifts down quickly and responds. I drive sedately most of the time, and don’t mind the “regular’ drive mode. I only use Sport if I have to cross a busy intersection or want to “dial out” the lag. I hear Pedal Commander does exactly that (reduce lag time when adding throttle). Ours is a ‘2021 GTS.
S

The boost button does not add more boost, if so, you would have two different power levels for Sport Chrono and non Sport Chrono cars. I also know because I monitor boost levels and there is no difference. It's more about transmission mapping to ensure rpms are higher to ensure the turbo is spooled along with more aggressive shift behavior.

The pedal commander can be good if you tend to not push the pedal hard or fast enough. It simply gets you to max faster but no difference than pressing the pedal harder. I had one for a bit as a novelty but removed it once I got used to the pedal. It can be helpful if you have multiple cars and the others are more powerful, and you tend to be lighter on the pedal in one car vs. the other.

​​​​​

Last edited by BMinSFL; 04-25-2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:16 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
S

The boost button does not add more boost, if so, you would have two different power levels for Sport Chrono and non Sport Chrono cars. I also know because I monitor boost levels and there is no difference. It's more about transmission mapping to ensure rpms are higher to ensure the turbo is spooled along with more aggressive shift behavior.

The pedal commander can be good if you tend to not push the pedal hard or fast enough. It simply gets you to max faster but no difference than pressing the pedal harder. I had one for a bit as a novelty but removed it once I got used to the pedal. It can be helpful if you have multiple cars and the others are more powerful, and you tend to be lighter on the pedal in one car vs. the other.

​​​​​
Thanks for the correction. It provides better/easier access to existing POWER (via different ECU mapping).
^Edited for clarity

Last edited by needmoregarage; 04-26-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:59 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thanks for the correction. It provides more POWER (via different ECU mapping). I used “boost” incorrectly.
There is no additional power, simply better/easier access to its peak when you need it.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
needmoregarage (04-26-2024), nemo06 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 04:51 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Returning to the subject, for the moment I keep my Turbo MY21, waiting to see if a new Macan ICE comes out. If that doesn't happen within a couple of years, I'll get the next X3.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:45 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Dan Neil gave a good review today in the WSJ; https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/2...s_article_pos1
Old 04-27-2024, 05:29 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

For all of the reasons listed above, I'm not interested in an EV at all (yet). Someday, it'll happen, I guess. But here in the Mountain West, the infrastructure just isn't there. I was in Southern Utah the other day in my Wrangler Rubicon, and a road sign said, "No services, next 144 miles". So, imagine! No gas station for 144 miles. How close do you think the next charging station was? It's all about infrastructure -- ubiquitous, reliable, and reasonably priced.
I don't have children, and I don't have a commute. So the EV infrastructure here in Denver isn't the point. I don't drive much in Denver. I've driven from Denver to Southern California three times. From here to Long Island and back a few summers ago. Seattle to Boise and back a few times. I'm driving up to Alberta this summer. These are not EV road trips.

-James
Denver, CO

My 2024 Macan S with ~80 miles on it. (Not my house in the background)

My 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon manual. Bought it used about 18 months ago with 11K miles on the odometer.

Last edited by JDailey; 04-27-2024 at 05:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDailey:
ByByBMW (04-29-2024), quallzone (05-02-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 12:05 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

There was in interesting story today in the WSJ about the EPA's plan to ration electricity. I could see have a fun car that's electric but for now I'm sticking with ICE for the car I need to rely on.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 565 Posts

Ready fire aim. Push EVs for everybody before EV infrastructure is in place, outlaw ICE, ration electricity. Brilliant, takes an unelected smartest bureaucrat to come up with that.
The following users liked this post:
weston98 (05-02-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 07:02 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by chris956
It weighs as much as the moon which is why it needs enormous power. The tyres will be the weak point if continually driven enthusiastically which I doubt will happen because it will harm the precious range. Let alone putting the heated seats on !!
New ICE Macan on order to replace our existing 's' ....... You can keep the BEV and park them all with the unwanted Taycans in a year or 2.
Heated seats, windshield wipers (it’s raining), lights, driving motion, it’s cold (it’s winter)… Nah. No EV any time soon.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:58 AM
JulienNC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@BMinSFL could you please dm me I’ve a question for you regarding center wheel caps you sell 😬 and I’m not able to send you message
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:25 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by JulienNC
@BMinSFL could you please dm me I’ve a question for you regarding center wheel caps you sell 😬 and I’m not able to send you message
Thanks!
I can't message you either. Just post your question in the most recent tire thread I created, I don't mind. I don't really sell them, I just have gone through a few sets of wheels and can't make up my mind on which caps I like, selling a couple of extras I had on hand. Happy to help with finding part numbers though, I'm good at that!

Last edited by BMinSFL; 05-01-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:34 PM
darlinboy
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Currently in our garage...

'18 C2S
'22 Macan GTS
'24 Boxster Style edition (being manufactured as we speak)

I'll stick with these and see what happens with EVs over the next few years.

If we ever do go the EV route, it will certainly be a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Current Macan owners not interested in a Macan EV?