Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Upgrade options for 2018 MACAN S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 04:28 AM
orthobird
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Upgrade options for 2018 MACAN S?

Hi, i just picked up a used 2018 Macan S with 34 K miles

This is one fun vehicle. And I got it for a very low price with trade in and 2 years CPO

this is my #4 Porsche to own since 1986.

questions?

any options for a tune?
any options for 21" wheels

any options for bigger brake calipers?

any options for exhaust?

Mine came with 21" wheels, but whoever had it before was able to manage to get all 4 wheel rims outer lip scratched by coming up on curb, even the driver side. I wont say it, but you probably know who prior driver was.

The vehicle also came with some cosmetic problems: looks like rear bumper had been hit by something at a low speed. there were 6 door dings, and the gas cap laniard was broken.

I ordered this ding removal tool from amazon for 35 dollars and now, all the door dings are gone. it is the hot glue trick. I have replaced the fuel cap with a new one from Pelican parts. Later I will order a new rear bumper cover and have someone paint it. Interior is pristine, like new.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-30-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:26 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I have no suggestions for your questions, but you will likely get several responses on those. What stood out to me was the mileage on the car. It's not high, but the critical PDK service is due at 40K. Maybe the dealer did it early, but definitely worth checking into.
orthobird (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:58 AM
orthobird
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I have no suggestions for your questions, but you will likely get several responses on those. What stood out to me was the mileage on the car. It's not high, but the critical PDK service is due at 40K. Maybe the dealer did it early, but definitely worth checking into.
thank you so much? I was unaware. Does this apply to my 2019 tts? It has 11,000 miles
Old 03-31-2024, 01:03 PM
mtalinm
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on picking the perfect project car. I am not as imaginative as you with upgrades, but here is what I've done so far.

Cobb stage 1 ECU tune via their AccessPort, which boosts it to somewhere above the capability of a GTS.

Cobb high-flow air filters.

Flat 6 intake system.

Now I am about to flash a "stage 1+" ECU tune from Flat 6, which they say is designed for their intake system + air filters. Rumor has it this will make it roughly equivalent to a stock Turbo. We shall see.

Separately, I also ripped out the Bose sound system and replaced it with a custom build that sounds much better. Next week I am lowering it with H&R sport springs.

Like I said, "project car"
orthobird (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:22 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

Since you have CPO, any tunes, you will instantly lose engine warranty. so maybe wait till CPO runs out?
You an find decent sets of OEM 21s in eBay but if you dont mind replicas, I personally like GT style wheels in 20 or 21s (that looks like 718 GT4's)
For intake, honestly will do not much. so if you want, good filter would be my recommendations to save money and add some noise.
Calipers... I dont think there's any options. Even Carbon Ceramics uses same size calipers.
Exhaust, I think nothing beats OEM sport exhaust which you can get it form Sunocoast and code from local Porsche shops.
orthobird (03-31-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:59 PM
downtroddengoat
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthobird

This is one fun vehicle. And I got it for a very low price with trade in and 2 years CPO

questions?

any options for a tune?

any options for exhaust?

Mine came with 21" wheels, but whoever had it before was able to manage to get all 4 wheel rims outer lip scratched by coming up on curb, even the driver side. I wont say it, but you probably know who prior driver was.

The vehicle also came with some cosmetic problems: looks like rear bumper had been hit by something at a low speed. there were 6 door dings, and the gas cap laniard was broken.

I ordered this ding removal tool from amazon for 35 dollars and now, all the door dings are gone. it is the hot glue trick. I have replaced the fuel cap with a new one from Pelican parts. Later I will order a new rear bumper cover and have someone paint it. Interior is pristine, like new.
Have a link to the door ding removal tool, please?

Last edited by downtroddengoat; 04-25-2024 at 12:09 AM.
engin_ear (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:37 PM
engin_ear
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthobird

questions?

any options for a tune?

any options for exhaust?

I have a 2017 GTS with 100K miles and I'd like to offer the following advice:
1) Intakes- leave it alone, but get an oiled filter. I have a pair of BMC, I clean/oil every other oil change.
2) You will not need bigger brake calipers, the stock ones are awesome. Get PowerStop carbonfiber/ceramic pads front & rear (the Z23) because the stock pads SUCK, these will improve your braking and much less dust. When it comes time for rotors, put on Zimmermann drilled.
3) Stock exhaust is good, I wouldn't mess with that either. The GTS has a movable baffle, but it's really not necessary.
4) For tuning, spend $1400 and get the Cobb Accessport to reprogram your ECU. Very highly regarded. You'll get more HP/torque and the car will run smoother/better. Imma'bout to get me one.
5) These Macan V6's have a MAJOR problem with the timing cover bolts shearing, then it leaks oil all over the place. Get all timing cover bolts replaced with non-aluminum bolts, before you get into this sorry position.
6) The transfer case was a recall item. Be on the lookout unless it's already been replaced. You may want to have a dealer replace it under warranty before it goes on its own.
7) Mobil1 0W-40 oil ONLY.
8) My Macan GTS is both the best car and the worst car I've ever owned. Best, because it's fast, agile, carries stuff, just an incredible all-around car. Worst, because these German cars are insanely hard to work on, and there's NO SHOP MANUAL. Porsche keeps tight control over them. If you want an idea of what I'm talking about, look up on here about "putting the Macan front end into service position". It's completely INSANE to do to have to change a water pump, thermostat, belt tensioner, etc.

Good luck.
orthobird (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 PM
engin_ear
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
What's the critical PDK service other than changing Trans fluid and the baby external filter??

Quick Reply: Upgrade options for 2018 MACAN S?