Macan 2014-Current

First Porsche: cpo python green 2023 gts

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 11:51 AM
Dsandler
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
A dealer does not fund or provide warranty coverage. The fact is that a flash tune will void your warranty, per the warranty documentation issued by PCNA.

Did the dealer expressly provide you with documentation that they would solely cover warranty claims in the event that there is a claim not covered by the factory warranty?
Thanks Porsche police. And yes my dealer did.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:57 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsandler
Thanks Porsche police. And yes my dealer did.
Lol, just trying to flush out the facts to not mislead anyone to believing that a factory warranty can be maintained with a flash tune. What your dealer is doing is not typical, as they are taking on responsibility outside of manufacturer recommendations.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:00 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Lol, just trying to flush out the facts to not mislead anyone to believing that a factory warranty can be maintained with a flash tune. What your dealer is doing is not typical, as they are taking on responsibility outside of manufacturer recommendations.

my dealer has a performance arm and an enthusiast service manager. Plus everyone knows tuning a 2020 GTS just brings it above the power level of a 2020 turbo. Safe power
Old 02-29-2024, 12:03 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by Dsandler
my dealer has a performance arm and an enthusiast service manager. Plus everyone knows tuning a 2020 GTS just brings it above the power level of a 2020 turbo. Safe power
Are you referring to Champion by any chance? There's no argument about whether it is safe but PDK and other drivetrain failures happen on stock vehicles at any trim, that's my main concern for those who flash. It's not necessarily extra power that causes the issue, but stuff happens.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:10 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Are you referring to Champion by any chance? There's no argument about whether it is safe but PDK and other drivetrain failures happen on stock vehicles at any trim, that's my main concern for those who flash. It's not necessarily extra power that causes the issue, but stuff happens.
I’m in NY. I don’t uninstall the Cobb when I go for service. I do all my maintenance with the dealer not an Indy. This pdk powered the 2010-16 Panamera tt. It’s fine with the power of the 2.9 tuned
Old 02-29-2024, 12:17 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

Got it, those are well known issues on any 95B.1 so that's a routine warranty item. I would be wary of anything to do with power delivery although I agree that I have not read much about denials. Perhaps because the drivetrain can take the extra power and I would say from experience that those with tuned engines are more likely to be on top of care and maintenance. I don't want to lead the OP to thinking that Porsche would replace a PDK or other higher price item, or even an axle, turbo etc.. if they detected a flash tune. I personally went with a JB4 piggyback to avoid a flash trigger but more based on feel than actual evidence. I think the OP would be happy either way.
No, I would never imply that one would still get warranty coverage on an issue if a tune was what caused the issue. Now that I recall, my dealer did replace my transfer case under warranty even though I had a tune so even a mechanical driveline issue was covered. Yes, that's another known issue but the fallacy I'm trying to dispel is the misconception that an entire warranty is voided by the mere existence of a tune. That is simply not true, at least not in the USA. In theory, even if a tune blows a hole in your engine but you have a window that stops working while under warranty, you can tow your car into the dealer and have them fix the window.

Personally, I believe a flash tune is healthier for the longevity of a motor than a piggyback tune. Look at some of the dyno graphs that show closer detail and you can sometimes see how the curves are smoother with flash tunes than piggyback tunes where there are more small bumps. It's almost like you can see the difference of where the ECU is doing the work without interruption versus where a piggyback tuner is intercepting and reinterpreting the signals on the fly. I think if one is really risk adverse, it's best to just leave it stock. If a motor is grenaded and diagnostic scans are ran, I would not be 100% confident that a technician is unable to see that certain parameters exceeded the factory settings. But if a piggyback tune makes you feel better, then case closed.

Do you disconnect all the wiring from your piggyback tuner every time before going to the dealer? I flash mine back to stock in 3 minutes not to hide the tune because my dealer and service advisor really do not care but only for the event that the technician has to push any ECU updates and I don't want the tuned file to cause any issues with that. Overall, it's much more involved than just tune means yes or no warranty. One has to be willing to accept responsibility if an issue truly cannot be covered due to any modification and know the dealer, and most importantly the service advisor, with whom you work with.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:28 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hkc
Appreciate all the responses so far!

likely won’t tune it as I think the roar peddle will solve any issues since this car is faster than it has any business being.
Just drive it in sport mode and you'll get most of what drive by wire devices do with the go-pedal. Or try sitting a little further forward and adjust the amount of tip in with your foot if you think the gas pedal isn't doing what you want.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:23 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by rasetsu

Do you disconnect all the wiring from your piggyback tuner every time before going to the dealer? I flash mine back to stock in 3 minutes not to hide the tune because my dealer and service advisor really do not care but only for the event that the technician has to push any ECU updates and I don't want the tuned file to cause any issues with that. Overall, it's much more involved than just tune means yes or no warranty. One has to be willing to accept responsibility if an issue truly cannot be covered due to any modification and know the dealer, and most importantly the service advisor, with whom you work with.
I avoid the dealer and haven't been back since installing it. Even with a warranty I would rather DIY or pay for something small at an indy shop. My last visit for free service involved them keeping the car for two weeks and returning it filthy with spiders living in it. I opted for no car wash since they are exceptionally good at installing swirl marks with their washes. If I did go, I would probably disconnect it if it was for a major drivetrain repair but not if for a small maintenance item. I am not a fan of constant flashing since it exposes the process to voltage variations which may lead to issues. I've used a JB4 for many years on various vehicles and never had any issues but I do like a full flash tune better, generally. I end up transitioning after a warranty period runs out.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 02-29-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

I avoid the dealer and haven't been back since installing it. Even with a warranty I would rather DIY or pay for something small at an indy shop. My last visit for free service involved them keeping the car for two weeks and returning it filthy with spiders living in it. I opted for no car wash since they are exceptionally good at installing swirl marks with their washes. If I did go, I would probably disconnect it if it was for a major drivetrain repair but not if for a small maintenance item. I am not a fan of constant flashing since it exposes the process to voltage variations which may lead to issues. I've used a JB4 for many years on various vehicles and never had any issues but I do like a full flash tune better, generally. I end up transitioning after a warranty period runs out.
I also DIY or go to an indy for nearly all basic maintenance items but will throw a bone to my service department every now and then for items that are not much more expensive and the above-mentioned warranty covered issues to maintain a relationship with the store. My dealer is actually pretty surprisingly competitive in pricing with my local independents, they're just a bit further away. That relationship has been helpful as they offered me two PTS 911 allocations over the last year even though I didn't purchase either of my Porsches from this particular store.

I've only removed the tune 2 or 3 times plus another two times to change the fuel octane map. I do have the charging system inspected annually as the voltage fluctuations from flashing is something I'm conscious of.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:59 PM
hkc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drive it in sport mode and you'll get most of what drive by wire devices do with the go-pedal. Or try sitting a little further forward and adjust the amount of tip in with your foot if you think the gas pedal isn't doing what you want.
Yeah I get that, it’s how I got used to my rs6. But this throttle is even worse than that and I think the roar is worth a try.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:35 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

@hkc Re: #8 in your list, the only setting that's retained after shutdown is the auto-start-stop. Turn it off and it stays off for good. At least on my 2015 S it does.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by hkc
appreciate the response! I figured out the ride height, thanks. Regarding the ambient lighting, that would be that overhead horseshoe and the door pocket lights? I’ve checked the manual lol
Yes. Additional lighting (map reading) is in the horseshoe above the center console. If you are looking for flash lighting strips AKA BMW X3 and Mercedes, its a Porsche and they are NA.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:08 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

I also DIY or go to an indy for nearly all basic maintenance items but will throw a bone to my service department every now and then for items that are not much more expensive and the above-mentioned warranty covered issues to maintain a relationship with the store. My dealer is actually pretty surprisingly competitive in pricing with my local independents, they're just a bit further away. That relationship has been helpful as they offered me two PTS 911 allocations over the last year even though I didn't purchase either of my Porsches from this particular store.

I've only removed the tune 2 or 3 times plus another two times to change the fuel octane map. I do have the charging system inspected annually as the voltage fluctuations from flashing is something I'm conscious of.
Good to hear. I happened to see a 2024 Cayenne loaner from my dealer on the road. Tempting.....they always find a way to reel you back in!

Quick Reply: First Porsche: cpo python green 2023 gts