Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS and Turbo Fender Gap Differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:05 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts
Default Macan GTS and Turbo Fender Gap Differences

Just started looking at getting the wife a used Macan (2018-2021) and my mind is already warping at the various options. I am a guy who does not like a lot of space between the tires and body and I've noticed that some of these Macans have a lot more space than others. Is this simply a matter of larger diameter wheel/tire setups on one versus another? Are some models (GTS v Turbo) lower than others? In the images below, the blue car is a 2020 Turbo and the white one is a 2021 GTS. Wheel gap seems significantly greater on the Turbo. What's the story here?

Old 02-20-2024, 09:58 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 319 Posts

It would appear that the '21 GTS has been lowered (i.e., not stock).
Old 02-20-2024, 10:32 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

I don't think Turbos (except for the Performance Package one) ever got air suspension standard so they would sit higher if on steel springs. GTS has air suspension standard plus 10mm lower than the air suspension on other trims. It's also possible that Turbo you posted a photo of has air suspension but set to off road mode. The GTS you posted a photo of is most definitely standard air suspension ride height for a GTS. Modified would be a lot lower.
Here is mine stock vs lowered an additional 10mm via PIWIS.

The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
mrcarlo (02-20-2024), SpyderSenseOC (02-20-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 10:14 AM
Dsandler
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a techart module
Old 02-21-2024, 11:41 AM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 192 Posts

To me, your stock height looks perfect and that's what I'm shooting to have on my T (Steel PASM) without sacrificing the comfort. So jealous. =)

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I don't think Turbos (except for the Performance Package one) ever got air suspension standard so they would sit higher if on steel springs. GTS has air suspension standard plus 10mm lower than the air suspension on other trims. It's also possible that Turbo you posted a photo of has air suspension but set to off road mode. The GTS you posted a photo of is most definitely standard air suspension ride height for a GTS. Modified would be a lot lower.
Here is mine stock vs lowered an additional 10mm via PIWIS.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:47 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by isugoo
To me, your stock height looks perfect and that's what I'm shooting to have on my T (Steel PASM) without sacrificing the comfort. So jealous. =)
Getting one equipped with air suspension would get you that.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:20 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

This honestly looks like it's in "off road" setting.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickS
This honestly looks like it's in "off road" setting.
That's what I thought. And I don't want that stance. But I do want that HP. Do some Turbos come optioned with air suspension (PASM?) Is that a rarity for a Turbo? Strange to me that the GTS some standard with it and the more expensive model does not.

EDIT: I found a 2021 Turbo in Clearwater that has PASM and the stance looks close to what I'm looking for.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 02-21-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:55 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Most Turbo's and GTS's I saw on the used market were PASM with air suspension. Look at the center consoles for PASM button and air suspension level button. That's a quick look to see if the Macan has what you want or not.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:16 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That's what I thought. And I don't want that stance. But I do want that HP. Do some Turbos come optioned with air suspension (PASM?) Is that a rarity for a Turbo? Strange to me that the GTS some standard with it and the more expensive model does not.

EDIT: I found a 2021 Turbo in Clearwater that has PASM and the stance looks close to what I'm looking for.
PASM and air suspension are two different things. PASM are active dampers. Air suspension replaces the steel springs with air bags which PASM works in conjunction with to adjust damping and rebound on the fly. All Turbos got PASM standard. Air suspension is a standalone option. All US spec GTS got both standard because it lowers the center of gravity more as the GTS is supposed to be the most road handling centric version. On all other trims, one must select PASM first in order to get air suspension.

When it comes to Porsches, most expensive doesn't mean the best one with all the features. Each trim is engineered (and marketed) to focus on a purpose. The GTS is the supposed to be the best handling. The Turbo is supposed to be the highway highspeed stormer. But of course you can stack up options, except engine output, to make any trim into what you want it to be. Many Turbos were optioned with air suspension. The one option that many were not optioned with is Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by rasetsu; 02-21-2024 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 03:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
PASM and air suspension are two different things. PASM are active dampers. Air suspension replaces the steel springs with air bags which PASM works in conjunction with to adjust damping and rebound on the fly. All Turbos got PASM standard. Air suspension is a standalone option. All US spec GTS got both standard because it lowers the center of gravity more as the GTS is supposed to be the most road handling centric version. On all other trims, one must select PASM first in order to get air suspension.

When it comes to Porsches, most expensive doesn't mean the best one with all the features. Each trim is engineered (and marketed) to focus on a purpose. The GTS is the supposed to be the best handling. The Turbo is supposed to be the highway highspeed stormer. But of course you can stack up options, except engine output, to make any trim into what you want it to be. Many Turbos were optioned with air suspension. The one option that many were not optioned with is Sport Exhaust.
Great information. Thank you. If a car is optioned with air suspension, is that the name you would see on the sticker? "Air suspension?"
Old 02-21-2024, 03:54 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Great information. Thank you. If a car is optioned with air suspension, is that the name you would see on the sticker? "Air suspension?"
"Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)"
Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

Mine’s an 18 Turbo stock.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:18 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Mine’s an 18 Turbo stock.
Air suspension with PASM? If so, what setting is your car in in that photo?
Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

Air suspension with PASM? If so, what setting is your car in in that photo?
AS and PASM. That’s stock height. It’s not set the additional 10mm drop.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS and Turbo Fender Gap Differences