Macan 2014-Current

Got rear ended today, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 10:22 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Got rear ended today, but...

on a rainy and slippery morning, I stopped at a marked crosswalk to yield to a couple crossing with their dog,
the Jetta behind me couldn't stop in time and rear ended my Macan at around 15 mph,
the trailer hitch took all the impact, my LED license plate light pops out, but there isn't any visible damage, no air bag deployed on his car neither,
question is, should I have the car inspect? the other driver is super nice and very apologetic, consider the speed I don't think there's gonna be any structural damage,
AAA always treats me well on all my insurance claim but I don't feel like spending all the effort for a $7 rubber cover,
but at the same time, the Macan is my daily and I'm planning to drive it until the wheels fall off.
any input?

Last edited by Faust T.; 01-20-2024 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:51 PM
Biohazard
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

I think you should see if you can get under it and look around and make sure that nothing got bent. Maybe signed of paint freshly chipped from an area under there on hitch could signal it bent/moved some kind of way. If no signs you are possibly good if you do see signs you may at least want the bumper off to inspect better,
The following users liked this post:
Faust T. (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:58 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
on a rainy and slippery morning, I stopped at a marked crosswalk to yield to a couple crossing with their dog,
the Jetta behind me couldn't stop in time and rear ended my Macan at around 15 mph,
the trailer hitch took all the impact, my LED license plate light pops out, but there isn't any visible damage, no air bag deployed on his car neither,
question is, should I have the car inspect? the other driver is super nice and very apologetic, consider the speed I don't think there's gonna be any structural damage,
AAA always treats me well on all my insurance claim but I don't feel like spending all the effort for a $7 rubber cover,
but at the same time, the Macan is my daily and I'm planning to drive it until the wheels fall off.
any input?

Not only have the car inspected, but get yourself into your doctor pronto to see if you have personal damage. My guess with the present economy this may cost you $25,000 for the car and $25,000for the bruises.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:51 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,059 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Yes, I would get it inspected.
jobunaga (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 10:53 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Usually, if the damage is below a certain amount, it's not reportable but if the police weren't called to write it up and neither of you contacted your insurance companies, you're on your own.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on getting it inspected. You never know what damage lies underneath the bumper cover. And in any rear-end collision, the car doing the hitting is always the one at fault. Ask me how I know.
jobunaga (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:37 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts

It looks like nothing crazy, just the rubber cover took some hit. How does it look when you remove the rubber cover? If there is no visible damage, I think you should be fine. Also, how does the other car look and how hard was the impact? Remember, those parts are supposed to carry several thousand pounds, even with some moderate impact, I don't expect any major issues.

Last edited by john981; 01-21-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:59 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Penstamin
+1 on getting it inspected. You never know what damage lies underneath the bumper cover. And in any rear-end collision, the car doing the hitting is always the one at fault. Ask me how I know.
+2 on getting it inspected. A VW Jetta traveling at 15mpg is a significant amount of force (more than 10,000 newtons). The external stuff might look fine but the wiring and electronics underneath might not be.
MarkinMD (01-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today, but...