Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Just Purchasing a Porsche Extended Warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 07:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Just Purchasing a Porsche Extended Warranty...

I'm just about to pull the trigger for an extended warranty on my 2018 GTS, from Porsche. Apparently it's something they offer, vs Fidelity etc...

After my experience with fairly major post-purchase repairs, and an existing extended warranty that covered them (now just recently expired), I think I'll carry on with having one.

Besides the warped leather dash, cam cover gaskets and air suspension sensors, does anything know what else can go wrong with these? PDK? Turbos? Water pump?

Thanks,

JP
Old 01-10-2024, 03:18 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Just remember because depending on the dealership, things may not be as clear, but it is not a "Porsche Warranty", but a third party warranty provider Porsche finance has their name too, all legal insurance information in the contract will reference the 3rd party provider.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 06:46 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

so far mine had cover over $27K worth of repair, a PDK and the Y coolant pipe replacement,
no problem using it on dealer other than the one purchase from too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Faust T.:
Highline-Autos.com (01-10-2024), Zeus993 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 10:17 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I'm just about to pull the trigger for an extended warranty on my 2018 GTS, from Porsche. Apparently it's something they offer, vs Fidelity etc...

After my experience with fairly major post-purchase repairs, and an existing extended warranty that covered them (now just recently expired), I think I'll carry on with having one.

Besides the warped leather dash, cam cover gaskets and air suspension sensors, does anything know what else can go wrong with these? PDK? Turbos? Water pump?

Thanks,

JP
I purchased the factory warranies directly from Porsche for my 2022 when new. They have a bewildering selection of policies. Besides the main defects coverage (7 years I think which is only 3 additional years on the 4 original), which does not cover headlight modules and PSCB brakes (two extemely expensive "consumables"). You have to add "term" coverage to that to have headlights and those very expensive WC coated rotors (one set). I also added maintenance coverage wich includes standard routine yearly service. Some think this is not cost effective, but when you get to later years with plugs, serpentine belts, etc at an expensive CA dealership, the cost turn out to be a bargain.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:55 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I purchased the factory warranies directly from Porsche for my 2022 when new. They have a bewildering selection of policies. Besides the main defects coverage (7 years I think which is only 3 additional years on the 4 original), which does not cover headlight modules and PSCB brakes (two extemely expensive "consumables"). You have to add "term" coverage to that to have headlights and those very expensive WC coated rotors (one set). I also added maintenance coverage wich includes standard routine yearly service. Some think this is not cost effective, but when you get to later years with plugs, serpentine belts, etc at an expensive CA dealership, the cost turn out to be a bargain.
These were my thoughts as well. The car has just under 38,000 miles on it yet experienced a host of problems that were covered by the extended warranty. I paid $4423 for 4 year/48K additional miles, and it's transerable should we trade the car in on something (which at the moment we're not interested in).

So some continured piece of mind, after dodging the post-purchase bullet. We'll see how the car continues to fair, fingers crossed.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:12 AM
S4tech75
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993

Thanks,

JP
While anything can go wrong at any time, the majority of issues will be emissions control/ck engine light related failures. Radiator shutter, cooling system failures like any vehicle.

The mechatronic unit in the macan pdk is one of the larger cost items. Many dealers will sell a whole PDK when a mechatronic unit will repair that failure. Mechatronic units often fail around 100-110k miles. Clutch modules have been seen to fail ( leakage between the large and small clutch chambers not generally for slip) in the 120k range.
The following 2 users liked this post by S4tech75:
jbx2 (01-21-2024), Zeus993 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 02:04 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Is there an advantage to getting an extended warranty while the car is new or near new as opposed to towards the end of warranty coverage?
Old 01-13-2024, 03:02 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by S4tech75
While anything can go wrong at any time, the majority of issues will be emissions control/ck engine light related failures. Radiator shutter, cooling system failures like any vehicle.

The mechatronic unit in the macan pdk is one of the larger cost items. Many dealers will sell a whole PDK when a mechatronic unit will repair that failure. Mechatronic units often fail around 100-110k miles. Clutch modules have been seen to fail ( leakage between the large and small clutch chambers not generally for slip) in the 120k range.
while it's true that you can replace just the mechatronic unit, but in most cases by the time the problem becomes noticeable to the driver,
it had already cause enough damage to the internal that required a whole PDK replacement.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:55 PM
S4tech75
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
while it's true that you can replace just the mechatronic unit, but in most cases by the time the problem becomes noticeable to the driver,
it had already cause enough damage to the internal that required a whole PDK replacement.
So that's not actually accurate. Failure in the mechatronic unit is most commonly shell bearing half 1 or 2 (oil control solenoids which are not availableas spare parts). There are other failures associated with mechatronic that are less common but the default is always limp. Its nearly impossible to drive the vehicle in a manner that could cause further damage and the instrument cluster will scream at the driver, reduced power output active. Mostly you lose Even gear exchanges or odd gear exchanges and reverse. In those cases the affected clutch plate has no oil pressure being applied and the control unit will not attempt to shift affected gear(s). There are a few things in the macan pdk that can fail that are not available as spare parts that would necessitate a whole PDK but mechatronics is not one of them.
jbx2 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 11:09 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Is there an advantage to getting an extended warranty while the car is new or near new as opposed to towards the end of warranty coverage?
Yes, major pricing incentives for purchasing your extended warranty coverage with low miles. Customers can save thousands on the same out of factory warranty coverage length by purchasing the coverage with as little to no miles as possible. You can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 to run a couple different examples and show you the difference.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,172 Posts

I had an opportunity to study the Fidelity pricing structure and noticed that when a car hits 25k miles, the price of the warranty significantly increases - with all other variables remaining the same (same vehicle, length of coverage, mileage coverage, and deductible value.)

Russian Mafia (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 11:43 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I had an opportunity to study the Fidelity pricing structure and noticed that when a car hits 25k miles, the price of the warranty significantly increases - with all other variables remaining the same (same vehicle, length of coverage, mileage coverage, and deductible value.)
Fidelity's mileage based pricing tiers are as follows:
0-10K
10K-25K
25K-35K
35K-45K
45K... and so on.
The following 3 users liked this post by Highline-Autos.com:
Ironman88 (01-14-2024), Nickshu (01-13-2024), Russian Mafia (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:21 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

For OEM warranties some options are no longer available as time/milage increase and the costs go up.

Quick Reply: Just Purchasing a Porsche Extended Warranty...